Beefed up My six, need more power to the Rear

-
From the front,..... at the machine shop,.........in the garage,..........no
I know...straight up!! Which means......????
Besides degree-ing correctly, an obvious but I gotta ask it anyway,
were the valve clearances set to cliffy's specs,or stock?Cause they can be
WAY different,so......

In the little holes in the block, with the big gear thingy on the end.:cheers:

Torque multiplication through a slanty-streetTC is fleeting, and the % is very small and on a 145 hp engine at 1800rpm amounts to what? 2 or 3 guys pushing on the rear bumper? Ok, maybe a wee bit more......

My slant was beefed up by Doug Dutra. We used his smaller spec'd cam and a 350cfm Holley. It wasn't until I dialed in the distributor with significantly more initial timing ( like 22*), but with only 32* total that it really came to life. It would burn the tires with 2.97 gears and a 904.

The timing was sorted using the standard vacuum gauge technique. Once it was all done and running great, I decided to pull it one day, sell it and put a junkyard 5.9 Magnum in it with EFI.

I was just tired of the slant. Now I have a 408 that gets better mileage and has just south of 500 hp.

Did you ever rin the vert around the track with that slant?

Had a slant in a '72 duster/904. Cut the head .100, did very minor work in the bowl area under the valves at home with a dremel, put a super six 2bbl/intake on it from the junk yard and 3.55's. It was really spunky for a slant. It was a one legger but it would lay 50 black mark any time. But I said that to say this, there are different size exhaust manifolds, and we found one of the larger mouth outlets, and ran a true 2" pipe from there through a free flowing muffler. That was a difference we could feel. Also, we put a 10" converter in it and it took away performance. The motor had torque and moved better with a tighter stall.... let the torque push you instead of letting the horsepower pull you

Torque multiplication through a slanty-streetTC is fleeting, and the % is very small and on a 145 hp engine at 1800rpm amounts to what? 2 or 3 guys pushing on the rear bumper? Ok, maybe a wee bit more......

A higher stall can provide 30-60% more torqueX depending on what you
start with and what you install,and 3.55's are 28%+ over 2.76's,just basic math.
Lets say 15% from a new TC,and X that by 1.28....213.44hp over 145hp,.............
the parts have to match,don't stall an eng. at 3000 when the torque curve falls at 4000.
BTW, has anybody seen the OP?

Did you ever rin the vert around the track with that slant?

I did run it a few times at Willow Springs, and it even made quick work of that souped up 24 hours of Lemons stripped down early A-Body, slant powered fastback that was out there that day too. The car was so light though that its would 4 wheel drift outward at 95 mph on turn 11. It was a great running /6, but it was never going to be a true hotrod with that motor in there.

Yeah but at 1800 you might have 100ft lbs, and you might get 10% multiplication, so that would be an extra 10 ft lbs; "2 or 3 guys pushing on the back bumper. Or a wee bit more." And only for a few feet til they run out of breath................And then it all locks up into direct drive, mostly.
Furthermore those 10 ft lbs, at 1800 translate into 3.427 horsepower. That's just math. So I guess that would be more like 5 or 6 overweight, old guys like me..heehee

If you could make 30% to 60% at redline, why would anyone bother with supercharging.

Actually, the higher stall TC and gears DO make more horsepower,by
virtue of torque multiplication they automatically increase horsepower by extension.So
there is a REAL change in horses at the wheels

An engine only makes power, gears divide that power between top end (high ratio) and acceleration (low ratio) they don't make any extra power. Take a car geared for the 8th mile and now take the car to quarter mile track it will run out of rpm a little over 1/2 way so you wound need to install higher gears given up acceleration for top end. Gears just suit the powerband of the engine to the job required. And with the torque converter is making some kind of trade off for extra torque but ain't making any extra power.

OK,first the basics, torque is force applied,and power is how much
work is done per unit of time.Horsepower is just a calculated number based on that
fact so different sources of motivation can be compared.
I put this in another post, but I'll repeat it here,THERE IS NO TORQUE
VS HORSEPOWER !!! They are one and the same,because Hp is simply calculated from
the available torque at a given speed,that includes the wheels. The engines hp doesn't
change,so the terminal velocity will end up close to the same for a given setup ie Qtr.
mile vs 8th mile vs top end maximum.Optimized drivetrain gets you there the quickest.
The right torque converter can be the difference between a 102-103
mph in the qtr., and 107-108 mph in the qtr. ,you wanna tell me that isn't more hp at
the wheels? I've seen it/done it.Same car/cam/gears/carb/exh/tires you name it,the only
change was the torque converter.
The problem is terminology,low RPM efficiency has been tagged"torque"
and high RPM efficiency has been tagged "power",but they go hand in hand.A great eng.
has a broad torque curve efficient over a greater range,a poor one has a very narrow 1.
I'll confess I haven't looked up the cam the OP has to see what the
RPM range is supposed to be,but stalling it even 400 rpm under where it's efficiency
begins will totally kill the bottom end "feel" and times.

But I said that to say this, there are different size exhaust manifolds, and we found one of the larger mouth outlets, and ran a true 2" pipe from there through a free flowing muffler. That was a difference we could feel.

Actually, this is not true. All the outlets are roughly 1 7/8". The factory used different sized exhaust pipes. The most common being 1 7/8. The factory Supersix used 2 1/4" to the catalitic converter and 2"out the back. I have used 2 1/4 expanded to 2 1/2 out the back. This reduced ET`s by 2 tenths compared to the factory 1 7/8 pipe.

-
Back