beefing up my 318???

-

cullenc101684

Reaction score
I got a 318 in my duster and it's a pretty slow car, i guess im used to driving cars alot faster so it feels even more slow to me. What are some upgrades i can do to increase power but not decrease my bank account very much, any help would be appreciated. The car has a cam in it but im not sure the specs the owner i got the car from didnt know very much about, he said the car could use a tune since the engine was just rebuilt, is this possible as to why i may think the car is kinda sluggish??? Thanks

I'd have to say, the a general question with general information is going to get you a general answer. So here we go and here I try.

Purchase a used;

Edelbrock Performer or older LD4B

A 600 cfm carb, Holley or Carter/Edelbrock, your choice. Use with a open air cleaner/element.

Headers help though not a "Needed" item. NEW dual exhaust should be done @ 2-1/4 inch pipe. MIN.! Use with a "H" pipe or "X" pipe to connect both sides. Mufflers are your choice.

Purchase these new.

Add a MSD or equal like ignition. Use a MP viscous fan. Both of those should be purchased new.

check car craft. i know they did like a 430 hp build from a 318 for real cheap

ok thanks everyone, im getting and edelbrock performer intake and a 600cfm carb for now and will do more later, how much do you think it will cost a mechanic to put in the intake and carb? how much do you think it will cost to do a basic tune up on the car?? do you think i should get a tune up since i feel the car is running sluggish , the engine was just rebuilt.

I think you should buy some basic tools and do this yourself. Good first project.

ok thanks everyone, im getting and edelbrock performer intake and a 600cfm carb for now and will do more later, how much do you think it will cost a mechanic to put in the intake and carb? how much do you think it will cost to do a basic tune up on the car?? do you think i should get a tune up since i feel the car is running sluggish , the engine was just rebuilt.
W O W :king:

You should get yourself a manual for your car and do some reading.Most of the things your wanting to do can be done in a afternoon.We,re always here to help if you get stuck doing any of these upgrades.:D

P.S You,ll need to learn the basics of oil change,greasing frontend parts and basic tune-up,if you plan on owning an older car.

Thanks for the help, i dont have many tools or automotive know how so thats why i was asking bout a mechanic doing the installation, but hopefully if i read up i will learn a bit and be able to do some work myself. Will the intake and carb give a noticeable difference or not really?

:wack:

:bs:

here we go with the famous "wow's" again

W O W :king:

Why even post?

Thanks for the help, i dont have many tools or automotive know how so thats why i was asking bout a mechanic doing the installation, but hopefully if i read up i will learn a bit and be able to do some work myself. Will the intake and carb give a noticeable difference or not really?

Well, to be totally honest with ya, this is the perfect time to learn about working on your car and purchasing a few tools to do the job and start your tool collection. The price you'll pay to do the job will be a total waste of money once you find out for yourself just how easy it is to swap a intake and tune the car up yourself.

IF you lived local to me, I'd tell ya to come over my house and I'd show you how itis done. YOU will turn every nut and bolt for the swap and learn it yourself by doing it.

Then I'd give ya a shopping list of basic tools to start with.

The performance increase will be noticeable and mild. Doing a cam at this time would be a good idea, except your a total rookie at this. You would find yourself over your head very quickly.

Thanks Rumblefish, the car has a mild cam in it but i dont know the specs. I got the car in a trade and the guy i got it from didnt know much about the car he forgot alot of the info he was told, the owner before him was the one who did the restoration. Do you know if they have a Haynes manual for the Duster or some other publication that might be beneficial to get?

Thanks Rumblefish, the car has a mild cam in it but i dont know the specs. I got the car in a trade and the guy i got it from didnt know much about the car he forgot alot of the info he was told, the owner before him was the one who did the restoration. Do you know if they have a Haynes manual for the Duster or some other publication that might be beneficial to get?

You can download the service manuals from this site, and check out http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Try posting a pic of the engine/car if you don't know the details and we might be able to give you more info about what the engine has, at least on the outside. If it was rebuilt with a bigger cam it most likely already has a 4-bbl. intake. If you look under the car does it have dual exhaust pipes or just one?

I think before you do anything, you need to figure out what you have already!

Just buying an Edelbrock 600 and performer intake will not cure your ills if they aren't well matched to the cam and compression ratio.

So, you're dealing with a supposedly rebuilt engine that you know nothing about that apparently doesn't run very well. This could be for a whole host of reasons, anything from needing the timing adjusted all the way up to the previous owner lied about the "rebuild" which was really just a "repaint" of a 100k mile engine.

Figure out what carburator and intake are already on the car. Check the timing with a timing light to see where you're at. Check the compression. While you're checking the compression, take a good look at the spark plugs to see if the carb tuning is close (ie, black and sooty = rich , bright white and melty = lean). And since you've got the plugs out, make sure they're the right heat range too. A compression gauge and a spark plug socket won't set you back much cash, and a compression check is a good start to knowing you have a healthy engine. Throw in a timing light and a vacuum gauge, add a flathead screwdriver, and a 1/2" wrench and you can set your timing and tune your carb. It doesn't take a whole lot of tools!

If all of that sounded like gibberish, find a good mechanic that you trust and have them check all that stuff and do a complete tune up on the car. Otherwise, just bolting on parts may not do you any good. In fact, it could make your car run WORSE. Bolting a bunch of speed parts onto a worn out 318 with 7.5:1 compression won't help your cause, it will just cost you money. That may be a worst case, extreme scenario, but until you do a basic check of the engine, you don't know what you have. Better to spend $300 on some basic tools than $300 on a brand new carb you didn't need, or can't use...

If you're gonna have one of these older cars, you should learn how to do simple bolt ons yourself. It will save you money and you will learn something. The more you do to your car, the more you'll learn and want to do to it. Pretty soon you won't have to ask questions anymore, you'll know how to do it yourself. It's pretty rewarding if you'll simply grab a wrench.

I do believe the engine was rebuilt, i can start it up on the first crank and drive daily if i want to, but the car doesnt have much pep to have fun with. So thats why i was thinking maybe it needs a tune or to adjust the timing. The car has dula exhaust and i believe headers, and a cam but not sure the specs and has a 4 barrel carb on a stock intake. the car drives fine but doesnt have alot of power.
cullenc

Probably the best thing is to make sure it's in top tune first and then go from there. :)

You also need to find out what it has for gears, if it is stock like mine had 7 1/4 with 242 gears you'll be able to go 160 mph but you will have NOTHIN off the line "no pep" as you say....

If you can, pull the air cleaner (the wing nut on the very top of the engine... It holds the big round air filter) and take a couple pictures of the engine from the driver's side and the passenger's side. Good, clear, and try to get clear close ups. A lot can be told just from those. The pics you show look ok but a lot is hidden. I dont think getting an intake and carb are waranted just yet.

-
Back