beefing up my 318???

-
one of my friends friend is in the process of opening his own shop but isnt quite there yet and i seen some of his cars and he does some nice work and he is going check the car out for me and let me know some info and make sure its running right and if its not get it up there, i will let you guys know if there were any issues or anything

from the few pics you have of it, that car looks like it was redone right. and with all those badges on it it would be blasphemy to put a 318 in that car. are you sure thats not a 340 under the hood?

yea unfortunitly it is a 318, i totally agree if you are going do a clone car at least put the motor of the car you are trying to clone under the hood

Sometimes, ya just use what ya got.

To bad for the poor guy that doesn't have giving friends to hand them a bigger/correct block to use.

nice looking car
and I think if your going to build a 340 clone
at least use a 360

I thought for the longest time that the motorcraft 430 hp was a cheap build to til I took there blue print to my local speed shop. and cheap it is not. it is comparable to a built 408 stroker. I guess it all boils down to if you want to have potential in good horsepower imo go bigger 340 or 360. This gives you a bigger playing field in the future. a 318 will only take you so far before you want more. why not spend the money on a build 360 that will give you more satisfacion in the long run. or if the obstical is that you want to drive the car leave the 318 in with what ever it has on it and drive it that way and throw a builder up on the stand to build slowly. This is just what I would do but there are many ways to build up a 318 if that is the path you decide to take. best of luck and most inportantly have fun wth it.

Somebody has to live close to him to help, at least to make sure it is not something simple like a fouled plug, timing, low fuel pressure etc.

The best thing is to go buy the factory service manual, it will tell you step by step to diagnose the problem.

Isn't 340 Plot up that way? I couldn't think of a better guy to help.

My buddy checked out the car and for starters it didnt have a thermostat on it, so he got me one on there now, and switched out the electric carb to a manual choke carb, before he did this he drove me home in the car and thought maybe the first carb i had on there was too big, i havent got to speak to him yet and see what size the first carb was, but the new one on there is a 600cfm and he put the edlebrock intake on it. I should find out soon if there were any other issues with the motor.

The issue was the carb that was on there was a drag racing one. I put an edelbrock performer intake and a holley street avenger 670cfm and a 160 thermostat and adjusted the timing and it is running so much better now.

I was going to say keep the stock intake, they are not bad pieces. My first go quick part would be rear gears. Even a 6 seems fast with 4.10's and 318's like to rev (they are just high revving bored 273's) But an 850 DP Holley on a teen is not the best carb either. Want a 340? Offset grind your 318-3 steel crank to a 3.42 stroke and bore yourself .060 over, there. You got 339..close enough. Just kidding, a .060 over cylinder would be the max overbore of a pre 75 motor. If you learn to wrench, go up to a 1.88 head, like a 308 off a pre magnum 360 van and matching intake.

a 670 street avenger is what I'm running on my 318, that's plenty of carb. Do you know what gears are in your duster?

-
Back