Bench seat + floor shift

-

RedStorm

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has a bench seat and an automatic floor shifter. I kinda like the bench in my Duster and am not really looking forward to putting buckets in. If anyone has this set up, how do you like it? Does the shifter interfere with the bench at all? Any suggestions prior to installation? Bear in mind that i got a manual valve body so i'll be doing ratchet style manual shifts.

Thanks.
RS

It was never an option you either got column shift with a bench or bucket no console. Auto floor shift only came with buckets and console

Lots of 4 speed bench cars were produced if your shifter is small enough you should be ok. Bear in mind that all 4 speed cars had the hump which gives a little more room for hardware under floor.

This is my late buddies 440 Long Ram Dart and it's B&M shifter.
Works fine.

PA241351.jpg

I think a lot will depend on how tall you are and how far forward the bench may need to be moved for individual drivers. I'm 6'-3" and had a bench in my old 340 Swinger back in the early '70s with a B&M floor shifter and a reverse manual valve body 727. Worked just fine.

Well, looking at Dave's pic, i think it can be done. My main concern is a) if park/reverse is too far forward and/or b) if while driving, it interferes with the seat. After seeing the pic, though, i don't think either will be a problem. If anything, i'll buy the shifter and set it on the hump and see how it feels. If i don't like it, i'll go ahead and get the buckets.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
-RS

I'm using a cheetach shifter in my car with manual reverse valve body and it doesn't interfere with anything. I love the Cheetah shifter, but it does take some placement time to make sure your seat placement and shifter placement work for you.

In my bucket car I used to have a Cheetah shifter mounted into a stock auto console. The placement was easier and it worked great as well.

Go for it!

I put the Megashifter in my duster, the truck version, because it is slightly taller than the other. Mine is a 75 duster, original column shift car w/bench seat, and all I did was drilled four small holes for the plate mounting bolts, which I believe were pretty small, maybe 5/16, it's been a few years. I also had to make a little slit in the carpet and and drill a hole in the floor for the cable. I also have a full manual valve body, and I really like the shifter and how it fits and looks in the car. I say go for it you won't be disappointed.

-
Back