bent crank ?

-
You can BEND a cam or crank "quite a ways" simply by putting it on V blocks with a dial indicator and pressing down in the middle WITH ONE FINGER.

I just don't know.

The thing about storing batteries on concrete is an old wives tale, but I still know guys who insist "you should not." Cranks? Don't know.

When shops turn, rework, or polish cranks, they sure as hell are not "on end" and they ARE unsupported in the middle, with a fair amount of pressure on them from the machine tools

Check out how long this sum beech is.......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoPIqHrHTM"]CGX CNC Crankshaft grinding machine - YouTube[/ame]

Only your dial indicator knows for sure.

And even your dial indicator won't tell you if it was straight to begin with.

I very seriously doubt it.

This......

Even if it was I would bet it would clean up and straighten with a .010 cut. Or just store it for the same time frame leaning in the opposite direction.......

I think the whole thing about storing cranks standing up is an old wives tale.

Wen will the old wives tales die off?

BTW, batteries made before about 1960 (IIRC) were made of a different material, which is why they leached power if left on concrete.

That is what I was told. I have never seen it.

I got some bad news about your "old wives tale". Good luck using a crank after it has been laying on it's side.

The crank in the corner is probably good. But never lay them on their side.

Mine all stand at attention in the corner.

But, regardless, they can be straightened if it was bent anyway.

Brian

Wen will the old wives tales die off?

BTW, batteries made before about 1960 (IIRC) were made of a different material, which is why they leached power if left on concrete.

That is what I was told. I have never seen it.

I love how the internet makes everyone a genius.

Lay a battery on a concrete slab and see what happens to it, and the concrete it is sitting on.

Set a drum of alcohol on a concrete slab, and not a pallet, and it will pull moisture out of the slab.

Brian

torque it in a block for about a week. Bend that wiggle right out. But I doubt yours is tweaked. I think the only way to be sure its stored "for the LOOONG haul" is to put it in a block, supported by 5 bearings.....:)

I love how the internet makes everyone a genius.

Lay a battery on a concrete slab and see what happens to it, and the concrete it is sitting on.

Sorry it just ain't true.

Take your car's battery box. Older battery boxes never had a plastic tray, and metal is WAY more conductive than concrete. The fact is, it doesn't matter, you can set a battery on glass, wood, wet wood, or in a pan of salt water. It will "self discharge" in exactly the same manner.

What IS true about the battery on concrete thing is, the electrolyte from the battery WILL have a reaction to the concrete. That's how people "thought" is was draining the battery. That said, I DO at least put a piece of cardboard under a battery if I put it on the floor of the shop, but only to keep the concrete from being damaged or discolored.

Right.

Tell me, do you have to charge a battery when you buy it from a parts store?

The internet makes everyone a genius.

Sorry it just ain't true.

Take your car's battery box. Older battery boxes never had a plastic tray, and metal is WAY more conductive than concrete. The fact is, it doesn't matter, you can set a battery on glass, wood, wet wood, or in a pan of salt water. It will "self discharge" in exactly the same manner.

I never had a battery box made of concrete, in any of my cars. Weird.

Right.

Tell me, do you have to charge a battery when you buy it from a parts store?

The internet makes everyone a genius.

I never had a battery box made of concrete, in any of my cars. Weird.

Please attempt to make clear concise statements that actually make sense

What does "charging a battery" at a parts store have to do with anything, more directly, this thread?

What does "the internet makes everyone a genius" mean? Does it mean you became one?

What does "a battery box made of concrete" mean? They would be heavy and bulky, I would think.

My 2 cents on batteries, for what it is worth (not much!).

I suspect that in the old days of vented batteries and porous tops, if you set one on cement that had a high calcium or lime content, the calcium or lime would neutralize the battery acid through the air......this is why in the aviation industry we never store or service lead acid batteries in the same room as nicads.......nicads are basic, lead acids are acidic and they will neutralize each other.

As far as I am concerned, with today's sealed batteries there is no issues with placng them on cement. I do it all the time and have yet to see a battery drained.

And if a crank can bend just by sitting there on its side....it must be maleable, like plasticine.....but they are not they are brittle like glass which is why they break, not bend when abused.

I don't buy it.

I have been reading Larry Shepard's book "How to Hot Rod Smallblock Mopars" and he mentions it in the book.

Never lay a crank down, stand it up on end when storing it.

I have been reading Larry Shepard's book "How to Hot Rod Smallblock Mopars" and he mentions it in the book.

Never lay a crank down, stand it up on end when storing it.

That's one thing Larry Shepard got right. The rest of that book should be used to soak up spilled oil or to start a fire.

The chapter on cams actually mentions that a cam has 16 lobes and 5 journals. No ****, Larry? I couldn't count those myself.

Before batteries were sealed and made of plastic, if you stored them on concrete apparently it would soak up something.

Todays batteries can be stored on concrete. Extremely old man at a battery warehouse told me that.

I also thought the crank thing was a wives tale, but I figured I would ask. I also think that a huge crank out of a semi would have more of a tendancy to bend than a crank out of a briggs. ANd I dont even think that would happen.

I guess my best bet is to turn the crank over to straighten it back up since it will be another three years before I install it in any thing at the rate things are going.

-
Back