bent flex plate question

-

32 hooptie

Reaction score
I put my 318/904 together the other day and ended up using a bent flex plate "tried to hammer it out straight"
Put it in the a-body and wired it all up went to start her and its real tight and hard to turn over. Its killing my 750 cc battery and making my starter smoke. Do you guys think this is from the flex plate or do i maybe have another issue?

I would take out the bent flexplate and get a good non-bent one. Then you would know it's right and go from there. Flexplates are cheap and can be found used easily.

If it was the converter knot seated in the trans. Any way it will seat itself or am i going to have to pull everything back out?

you have to pull the engine to change out the flexplate....check the converter then...

Throw a bent flexplate in the recycle bin.

when the convertor seats the mounting lugs will be behind the lip of the bellhousing about 3/8"

What way works better? putting the converter in the transmission first then bolting the trans to the block?
Or mounting the converter to the flex-plate and then sliding the trans over and bolting to the block?
Shoud the converter sit flush against the flex-plate before bolting together?
Or is there supposed to be space and i have to use a prybar to bolt converter to flex-plate?
Why dont you just come over and put this thing together for me lol.

The converter should be fully seated in the trans. It should not interfear or push on the flexplate or crankshaft as you bolt the trans to the engine.
A flexplate is a tempered steel so it ssouldn't bend much before it cracks. Tool scars like hammering on it increases the odds that it will crack.

I usually have to stand the trans on it's end to seat the converter, then bolt a strap across the bell, with a shim to hold in the converter;once almost home, remove the strap. Once bolted up, you should have to slide the converter forward about 1/4 "

Thanks guys!
love this a-bodies.
Alot of nice and helpful people
This is some good information for me.

-
Back