Best bang for the buck?

-
His build should beat my 318 Duster but it won't. I'm never for throwing money and parts at a car without making it run as it should first.
While I agree a great tune up is essential at a certain point your cars hit the wall of potential.. you can tune to the 9th degree but at some point and you've reached it I believe until you spend some money you'll be right there hopefully not again next year...

While I agree a great tune up is essential at a certain point your cars hit the wall of potential.. you can tune to the 9th degree but at some point and you've reached it I believe until you spend some money you'll be right there hopefully not again next year...
I'm not talk'n tuning to the 9th degree. He has a build that should hands down take care of my 318 Duster but it won't. He is off by the tune of at least a 1/2 second, maybe more. Why ignore that?

I like all this but I've had 410s and just changed back to the 355 so I could drive on the freeway again.. and I didn't lose anything at the track. I realize I have a different motor but make sure he knows what he's going to get in the end...
I see no way he reaches mid 13's with a low compression 318 with 3.55 gears.
It's gonna need a solid cam and some revs.

I'm not talk'n tuning to the 9th degree. He has a build that should hands down take care of my 318 Duster but it won't. He is off by the tune of at least a 1/2 second, maybe more. Why ignore that?
huh boy endlessly will you change the conversation to suit your discussion!??.. good Lord I need to put that on a sticky ! Do you see what you quoted my first sentence said the tune is essential?

huh boy endlessly will you change the conversation to suit your discussion!??.. good Lord I need to put that on a sticky ! Do you see what you quoted my first sentence said the tune is essential?
I guess the difference is, I'm not going to throw out gears, aluminum heads, all the other stuff. I initially said converter, but when he listed the rest of his build, I recognized right way the car is underachieving. That, at least to me, stop all purchases till I can figure out how to get the car to at least achieve nominal before moving on.

My old combo. stock bottom end 318 with 360 heads shaved .040, .028 gasket, isky 221.@ .050 and .465 lift. performer intake, 650 holley and headers with full 2.25 exhaust. Stock converter and 3.55 open rear in 3600lb. 68 dart. Babied it out of the hole and ran 14.01 at 102 in 1/4. Sure grip, drag radials and converter should have put me close to 13.5 or better.

My old combo. stock bottom end 318 with 360 heads shaved .040, .028 gasket, isky 221.@ .050 and .465 lift. performer intake, 650 holley and headers with full 2.25 exhaust. Stock converter and 3.55 open rear in 3600lb. 68 dart. Babied it out of the hole and ran 14.01 at 102 in 1/4. Sure grip, drag radials and converter should have put me close to 13.5 or better.
Sure grip, drag radials, and converter and I bet you go 103 at high 12's. This is how close the OP is to reaching his goal... and more.

I guess the difference is, I'm not going to throw out gears, aluminum heads, all the other stuff. I initially said converter, but when he listed the rest of his build, I recognized right way the car is underachieving. That, at least to me, stop all purchases till I can figure out how to get the car to at least achieve nominal before moving on.
I agree with not purchasing the heads. But, he stated he want's mid 13.s. The heads on the 318 now, will support mid 13's with a lower gear, 3500 stall, headers and a
step or two hotter solid cam. without any one of those pieces , it doesn't reach mid 13's.
I don't believe there is a half second in the tune.

I agree with not purchasing the heads. But, he stated he want's mid 13.s. The heads on the 318 now, will support mid 13's with a lower gear, 3500 stall, headers and a
step or two hotter solid cam. without any one of those pieces , it doesn't reach mid 13's.
I don't believe there is a half second in the tune.
well, he should be beating my 2.76 geared 318 in which I have nothing on him in my build. And I'm in high 14's. I say a 1/2 second with ease...

And you're going to stay in the 13's forever which the op does not want to do...

And you're going to stay in the 13's forever which the op does not want to do...
sigh...*** my 360 Duster has nothing to do with the OP's thread. My 318 Duster is almost a mirror image engine wise, so it's fair to show real life expectations. I'm just say'n after it's running expectations, then throw gears, headers, aluminum heads, converter, blah blah blah. But why bolt on a money part to gain the 1/2 second he is losing in his tune??? But, some people would rather throw $$$.

Definitely not and then what...
(Enter Jeopardy theme song....)...
then you decide what parts to buy... that took a real genie... LOL Read post 57 and see how far away the OP is from his goal... yep, that's right, not very far.

maybe not, but it's basically free and then he'll know what is needed to get him where he wants to go.
He's wanting to spend money, his ? was about purchasing heads. I think purchasing heads for a stock short block is a waste.
The combo will need to be tuned differently with the addition of the needed parts to reach his goal.
So why not just purchase them and tune. High 14's are a far cry from mid 13's.

He's wanting to spend money, his ? was about purchasing heads. I think purchasing heads for a stock short block is a waste.
The combo will need to be tuned differently with the addition of the needed parts to reach his goal.
So why not just purchase them and tune. High 14's are a far cry from mid 13's.
I think his car easily goes mid to lower 14's. Then maybe just a simple 160 dollar set of headers and a bump in converter and he's there. Why spend 1000+ for the SM head swap if he don't need it to reach his goal?

If he optimizes what he has now, he may be faster than he thinks. That could mean he may not have to spend AS MUCH to get to his goal. He'll never know unless he tunes what he has now. Also, it will be a great learning experience that can show him not only what good tuning can do, but also how to tune his future combo. There's no down side whatsoever to his tuning his present combo. None.

If he optimizes what he has now, he may be faster than he thinks. That could mean he may not have to spend AS MUCH to get to his goal. He'll never know unless he tunes what he has now. Also, it will be a great learning experience that can show him not only what good tuning can do, but also how to tune his future combo. There's no down side whatsoever to his tuning his present combo. None.
BINGO!!!! RRR nailed it again.

Don't forget driving technique also. That combo I had liked shifting at 6300 on 1-2 and 6000 on 2-3 shift. Motor liked 38 degrees timing. Unusual for a small block but it worked. Every engine is different.

-
Back