Best Intake for a 408

-
as we get older, we tend to buy pants that fit with room to grow. not too loose not too tight.
I use this thinking on every purchase I make.

With those gears and 408 cubes I'd lean to the Victor. Strokers make enough low end torque that you may have enough of a traction problem that the single planes torque loss down low may prove to be a benefit. Your convertor, gears, and intended usage are more in line with a single plane. If a 3.55 gear and mostly street use, stay dual plane.

as we get older, we tend to buy pants that fit with room to grow. not too loose not too tight.
I use this thinking on every purchase I make.
An airgap is easily capable of putting a stroker well in the 10’s.
not many guys, stroker or not, have 10 second 10.5 compression cars with a 3800 vert and non offset pushrod heads.
assuming that is what the OP has.
I am older, I may not have the breaths left to grow into anything.
I buy what will work the best today. Tomorrow is another day. I did that kind of stuff years ago, you have it backwards
I still say with moderate compression, a 3800 vert and assuming a moderate camshaft, unless the car is a light, cut up typical bracket car( doesn’t seem like it is) the airgap will shine on the street or the strip.
been there, done all this.
if there is much of a difference at the track on an ET slip…
assuming moderate heads and cam..it will be in the favor of an airgap.
max horsepower rpm won’t be much if any over 6k

An airgap is easily capable of putting a stroker well in the 10’s.
not many guys, stroker or not, have 10 second 10.5 compression cars with a 3800 vert and non offset pushrod heads.
assuming that is what the OP has.
I am older, I may not have the breaths left to grow into anything.
I buy what will work the best today. Tomorrow is another day. I did that kind of stuff years ago, you have it backwards
I still say with moderate compression, a 3800 vert and assuming a moderate camshaft, unless the car is a light, cut up typical bracket car( doesn’t seem like it is) the airgap will shine on the street or the strip.
been there, done all this.
You do what works for you and I'll do me. It's all good.
I've yet to see an arm longer than 3.75 that didn't benefit from a single plane on the street or strip. actually made them more drivable on the street and shine at the strip.

I've had the exact same dilemma. I've been swayed to the single plane. You'll be past 4000 rpm in a flash.

You do what works for you and I'll do me. It's all good.
I've yet to see an arm longer than 3.75 that didn't benefit from a single plane on the street or strip. actually made them more drivable on the street and shine at the strip.

my 418 with a ported victor doesn’t 60 much if any better than my 360 did with same cam, heads and headers and carb. 360 had airgap

going down the track you are spending virtually all your time between 3800 and 6000 rpm( again assuming non offset head and moderate cam…OP never stated)
in that range of rpm, dual plane with be more responsive, 4 inch crank or not.. I had more vert and gear and still had the result I had
this again all assumes it isn’t a light, cut up car. Mine isn’t, doesn’t appear the OP’s is either

my 418 with a ported victor doesn’t 60 much if any better than my 360 did with same cam, heads and headers and carb. 360 had airgap

going down the track you are spending virtually all your time between 3800 and 6000 rpm( again assuming non offset head and moderate cam…OP never stated)
in that range of rpm, dual plane with be more responsive, 4 inch crank or not.. I had more vert and gear and still had the result I had
this again all assumes it isn’t a light, cut up car. Mine isn’t, doesn’t appear the OP’s is either
I get what you're saying. but you added 48 cubes with no other changes except the intake manifold. You have room to grow.
Not a fair comparison, imo.

Victor 340 ###

Screenshot_20230101-220822.png

I get what you're saying. but you added 48 cubes with no other changes except the intake manifold. You have room to grow.
Not a fair comparison, imo.

compression moved up a lot..12+
I just used what I had on hand at the time.
have now bought different heads and headers.
and will have vert adjusted. Anxious to see what those changes make

compression moved up a lot..12+
I just used what I had on hand at the time.
have now bought different heads and headers.
and will have vert adjusted. Anxious to see what those changes make
I'm anxious too. I want to see those heads at work. Rod put a lot of effort in them, real nice work.

I'm anxious too. I want to see those heads at work. Rod put a lot of effort in them, real nice work.

still gonna be a 565 gross lift flat tappet cam that is small for the engine.
my days of running 9’s are over. said it a long time ago. I just want this to run as it should for what it is. The heads are already proven, couple other guys have laid down numbers that prove how well they work.
if I was chasing max ET it wouldnot be in a 3350 pound dual purpose car with a flat hood, and without a nice healthy roller

@V8-valiant What year is that ride and what does it weigh in at?
Heads ported? What cam is in it now and will there be a sizable change?
Hyd., solid, roller or not?
It’s a 65, weighs about 3100lbs. Heads are still being built but yes they are ported Edelbrocks, don’t know runner volume yet, the cam I’m still working on getting figured out but will mechanical flat tappet. Thinking of bumping the compression up to 11-1 maybe 11.5-1 after some more research. Likely would be best with a victor single plane from the sounds of it?

I’m getting away from the turbo setup I had, a lot is changing on the engine, converter I’m not stuck on anything yet. Would like to maximize the power out of this stroker.

It’s a 65, weighs about 3100lbs. Heads are still being built but yes they are ported Edelbrocks, don’t know runner volume yet, the cam I’m still working on getting figured out but will mechanical flat tappet. Thinking of bumping the compression up to 11-1 maybe 11.5-1 after some more research. Likely would be best with a victor single plane from the sounds of it?

I’m getting away from the turbo setup I had, a lot is changing on the engine, converter I’m not stuck on anything yet. Would like to maximize the power out of this stroker.

Remember, the quoted rpm range [ for Victor or RPM ] will be lower with more cubes.

Still is. (for a street/strip car).
Edit: i would try the rpm and the victor, see which one i liked, and sell the other.
I like this idea. It will be a bit of work and cost a bit more, but this way @V8-valiant will get exactly what he wants/needs. Think about it. It is hard to accurately describe your car's EXACT characteristics due to so many things blending together. Even the tires can make a difference. If he tries an Air Gap for a few weeks and then an Air Gap, he will know for sure which one he likes best. I LOVE my Air Gap, but then my 340 if only modified to about 370HP and I do not race it.

its his brother Vic who did all the design work, and developed the head( this head) from scratch.
people should know that. This is Vic’s baby.
Rod sell’s them, has done some dyno work, etc, etc

Do you have a range or ballpark of cam you are looking at?

11+:1 compression sounds like a race gas or a mixed race gas.

More sounding like a hot street/strip build. Would a old M-1 intake be a little smaller than the Edelbrock Victor and act as a compromise?

Glendora Dodge MP found some old NOS ones and has them for sale.

Last edited:
I run a 11-1 plus 360 now on 93 octane.

What cam do you have now and what are you thinking about going to?

When you say maximize the 408, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Pretty soon you’ll have @RustyRatRod coming here and stating his famous line on cam size….

.750 roller

A little more clarity on a goal please.
The cars purpose is?
Is a 1/4 mile slip part of this chase?

People on here lots smarter than me so this is just my 2 cents. My avatar street/strip Demon's 408 has a Super Victor on it. 4.10 gear. I've been whittling away dialing my combo in. 251/256@050 SFT cam. Eddie RPM heads w/ a tad of bowl touchup. 10.5 cr.
Made a bit over 500 #-ft at 3500. Best weight guess is 3300#'s w/ me in it. 11.14 @118.2 best so far. Best 60' is 1.49 but more typical is 1.52. On the street, torque is not an issue as a smoke show is just a twitch of the right foot away.

I have an Air-Gap for it but haven't tried it yet. At the track, the T/C stalls at 5000 and I shift at 6200-ish. It sure doesn't spend much time below 5500 as the 1-2 shift happens mighty quick!

Would it be faster with the Air-Gap? Dunno...someday I may try it once I feel I have wrung out what i have. Or I may just continue to enjoy what I have!!

@Demonx2 There was a fella here some time back that was at a similar point as yourself. His 408 was in a Starion or some weird car like that though only a little lighter. He went back and forth with the RPM-AG & the M-1 single.

His cam was right around your duration @050. The single mph was better, the ‘60 worse, a hair slower than the RPM, IIRC by tenths.

People on here lots smarter than me so this is just my 2 cents. My avatar street/strip Demon's 408 has a Super Victor on it. 4.10 gear. I've been whittling away dialing my combo in. 251/256@050 SFT cam. Eddie RPM heads w/ a tad of bowl touchup. 10.5 cr.
Made a bit over 500 #-ft at 3500. Best weight guess is 3300#'s w/ me in it. 11.14 @118.2 best so far. Best 60' is 1.49 but more typical is 1.52. On the street, torque is not an issue as a smoke show is just a twitch of the right foot away.

I have an Air-Gap for it but haven't tried it yet. At the track, the T/C stalls at 5000 and I shift at 6200-ish. It sure doesn't spend much time below 5500 as the 1-2 shift happens mighty quick!

Would it be faster with the Air-Gap? Dunno...someday I may try it once I feel I have wrung out what i have. Or I may just continue to enjoy what I have!!
Your 60' is right on que for the E.T. about as good as it's gonna get.
60',ET and MPH is all spot on. well sorted combo.

I run a 11-1 plus 360 now on 93 octane.

What cam do you have now and what are you thinking about going to?

When you say maximize the 408, it leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Pretty soon you’ll have @RustyRatRod coming here and stating his famous line on cam size….

.750 roller

A little more clarity on a goal please.
The cars purpose is?
Is a 1/4 mile slip part of this chase?
The current cam is 241/247 @.050 with a lift of 545 and LSA of 115 but also at 9.0-1 compression. I had a suggestion of something around 260 duration and 600 lift with a 108 maybe even a 106 LSA.

Sorry for not being clear on what I’m looking for out of the car, I’m not sure I have a clear vision for what I want. It will be a hot street strip car. Yes I will race it, but not on a weekly basis. More like 4-6 times a year, but still want a fun street car.

The current cam is 241/247 @.050 with a lift of 545 and LSA of 115 but also at 9.0-1 compression. I had a suggestion of something around 260 duration and 600 lift with a 108 maybe even a 106 LSA.

Sorry for not being clear on what I’m looking for out of the car, I’m not sure I have a clear vision for what I want. It will be a hot street strip car. Yes I will race it, but not on a weekly basis. More like 4-6 times a year, but still want a fun street car.

And the backstory to the 9.0-1 comp and 115 LSA was for a turbo and FI? setup?

This info and current setup will help the suggestions greatly.

-
Back