"Best LA 360 engine"

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
I came across a 360 (6-8-74)short block for cheap (6 pack of beer) from a work buddy.
But a my dads neighbor claims 71-73 where the "best blocks," I'm just curious to know what LA 360 where the best years. Cause I know that 360's where made of the same 340 mould.

Splittin hairs at best.

What are the newer blocks gonna do? Bust open? Tell that guy to get real.

The best 360's would be in my garage instead of yours. :D
I'm in the process of watching for a good one and you trade a 6 pack for one. :D

I have a real nice '71(the best year) block here.This is one of them hi-nickel blocks. I can let you have it for, oh, IDK let's say, $4000.
It's already 40 over, Zero-decked for KB107s, has been line-honed,and has all the oiling mods done. It's a proven piece having endured 100,000 plus miles, lots and lots of them at WOT(thats wide open,foot in the carb,eh). I can give it a fresh coat of paint for like $20. For another $1000 I will throw in the 107s and the rest of the rec, recip, ro,ca,ting parts; like rods and crank and stuff.It's all balanced and this one time I hit over 8000 on the tack, so she's a mover allright. I'll even leave the file-fit plasma moly rings on them slugs. Call 555-555-1234. If you want it palletized (that's put on a pallet and strapped down hard,eh) I'd have to charge about another $100. So that comes to about $6000. Lemme no,eh.... 5551234
PS; Since it's the best year, it won't stick around here long,eh, at this killer price.So I think you should move on it fast.5551234, yep that's it 555234, oops 5551234.
Geez, I almost forgot; #7rod needs a new bearing again, but there cheep enuff, eh.5551234

Fun intended,eh

^^^^And why are you selling such an excellent product? Put an ad ,in the "For Sale" forums, might get better ad spacing,& response....

well, I wasn't gonna sell it, eh; but after I found out it was the best year, I taut i could get me some beer money wit dat old girl,eh. She done good by me. 5551324. Oops 5551234.Could have a real party wit my friends n all dat eh? Maybe get a new hat, too.

I came across a 360 (6-8-74)short block for cheap (6 pack of beer) from a work buddy.
But a my dads neighbor claims 71-73 where the "best blocks," I'm just curious to know what LA 360 where the best years. Cause I know that 360's where made of the same 340 mould.

The best year is the one that is in great condition, and cheap.

For a 6 pack of beer, your off to a great start. :D

I believe I remember reading in a Direct Connection Manuel that 71-74 360 blocks were the strongest. I'm almost positive

I personally prefer the 89-92. Roller cam and 308 heads..... I'd say that's off to a pretty good start :D

It doesn't matter what year block you start with. The key to a strong long life engine is minimal overbore and quality machine work.

I'm getting a 360 long block that is a 1972 vintage. Was told it was one of the first few produced with higher compression, as the first 500 were this way! Hmm................if they came out in 1971, did they not make very many? It's costing me more than a 6 pack of Schlitz but still a good deal to me!

probably one of the one that came from the factory with a solid roller cam too...LOL.....

People say all kinds of nonsense, when they want to sell you something. See posts #9 and #11

The best engine is the one that does exactly what you built it to do.I just happened to already have the 71 at the time. I have a 77core, in storage, in case I blow this one up. So far(100,00miles/15 yrs) so good.

the 1971 360s had a little more compression due to a a slightly better piston. the 1974 360 HP WAS COOL with the 340 cam, windage tray, double roller, 850 thermoquad, the late 360s are cool if U want to go roller cam-taller lifter bores right. unless U are going 600+ horsepower any year will do fine. "ballad of the uneasy rider" mag wheels and 4 on the floor had gravel flying and rubber squeelin

My questions would be:

1. Best for what?

2. What do you wish to do with it?

Those should also be the questions you ask yourself.

71 - 74 are best non roller cam blocks. I have seen 75 up blocks that cracked in the mains on 550ish hp bracket motors. And not just one... 71-74 are better cores. My uncle ran a race engine shop for a long time specialized in NHRA stock and super stock, primarily small block mopars... set a lot of records, built a lot of engines.. 71-74 is the best non roller block.

My questions would be:

1. Best for what?

2. What do you wish to do with it?

Those should also be the questions you ask yourself.

I was planning a mild street build.
350-400hp, .30 over bore, double roller, aluminum heads/ rpm intake, 4 barrel carb, mild cam, was thinking of possibly getting a forged crank to replace the cast.

-
Back