Best RACK AND PINION set-up for Early A?

-
Gerst shows one on their website, but when I called to inquire about it, I could sense a "deer in headlights" look through the phone...
Gerst does make one. It is now QA1 however. Nice setup. Here is my Gerst before QA1 got involved. 65 dart

5B1B840A-F83A-48EB-8F0E-A6C69F13A587.jpeg

871CCAAD-01D4-4EAA-9DB9-C4504946B32D.jpeg

I was actually looking for this same info because I was looking to do a GEN 3 Hemi swap into a '65 Cuda. HDK/RMS/Bouchillon Performance all feel like $5K is where the pricing for Double A-arms, tubular K members, big disc brakes, and coil overs should be. I was actually looking into fabricating my own set-up using traditional hot rodder components that are more readily available and a co-worker's Plasmacam, my tube bender, my welder(s), and a tape measurer.
You dirty Old School Hot Rodder!

WOW! THAT DOES LOOK NICE and COMFY sitting in there!!
MAN THAT'S EGGGGSACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! What's the part number and the cost if you don't mind sharing the wealth (of knowledge, that is)?
I am not sure what part numbers are what. Mine is a little different because I made my own mounts. He offers some but I centered my engine otherwise it would be offset to the passenger side. I got them not assembled.

I am not sure what part numbers are what. Mine is a little different because I made my own mounts. He offers some but I centered my engine otherwise it would be offset to the passenger side. I got them not assembled.
I'm planning to do the exact same thing you did, as I despise the offset drivetrain in these cars. I was preparing to make the entire cradle before you replied so making motor mounts would be the least of my worries. I've had the engine and car for sitting for the past 6 years waiting on something like this. In the essence of time, I'm not above purchasing something existing if it's reasonably priced. If there's no P/N, what did you ask for from them when you ordered this k-frame? Did it come as a kit or did you tell the GERST employee what you were trying to do and they made the parts list for you? Is there any paperwork that was shipped with the parts? I need something to communicate to QA1 accurately because I've already been on the phone with them and they were VERY LOST, as if I was speaking an ancient language. :mad:

Yes I know but Cool Whipps said QA1 didn’t seam to know what he was looking for when he called

I'm planning to do the exact same thing you did, as I despise the offset drivetrain in these cars. I was preparing to make the entire cradle before you replied so making motor mounts would be the least of my worries. I've had the engine and car for sitting for the past 6 years waiting on something like this. In the essence of time, I'm not above purchasing something existing if it's reasonably priced. If there's no P/N, what did you ask for from them when you ordered this k-frame? Did it come as a kit or did you tell the GERST employee what you were trying to do and they made the parts list for you? Is there any paperwork that was shipped with the parts? I need something to communicate to QA1 accurately because I've already been on the phone with them and they were VERY LOST, as if I was speaking an ancient language. :mad:

I ordered everything a few years ago. Back when it was Gerst. Talking with Carl was easy at that time. I just ordered the front end kit that they offered online. Carl felt that not welding the mounts would be the best for what I was trying to achieve. Everything else was off the shelf.

I ordered everything a few years ago. Back when it was Gerst. Talking with Carl was easy at that time. I just ordered the front end kit that they offered online. Carl felt that not welding the mounts would be the best for what I was trying to achieve. Everything else was off the shelf.

Okay. I'm on their website now and it has changed since I called them a few months ago. But when I spec it out and select my options, the "ADD TO CART' button will not allow me to add it.....WTH??

Double check you options
THANKS @Bogie ...I'd missed the "sway bar" option.

@jw97neon - Was the (Gerst) price always @$5K before QA1 took over or is that black paint job and decals they put on them $3K worth of paint and stickers?

Last edited:
THANKS @Bogie ...I'd missed the "sway bar" option.

@jw97neon - Was the (Gerst) price always @$5K before QA1 took over or is that black paint job and decals they put on them $3K worth of paint and stickers?
Haha. I paid less then 5k with brakes. I do know that some updates have been done to the k member now that QA1 owns the rights. The shock mounts are one piece and bent were Gerst welded each bend. I am going to reinforce mine as my car is still being built so it is a minor thing to update.

Haha. I paid less then 5k with brakes. I do know that some updates have been done to the k member now that QA1 owns the rights. The shock mounts are one piece and bent were Gerst welded each bend. I am going to reinforce mine as my car is still being built so it is a minor thing to update.
I knew those decals and paint were "TOP NOTCH" ! Thanks for the clarity and visual references. I'll be following you intently as I try to piece mine together from scratch.

I can see it, IF I had the $$$ to throw at it and the strength to do it, IF I really wanted such. IfI only ever had one old Mopar I was working on, I might have a different view. I have always had 4-5 in the works. Just me. More power to those that march to the beat of a different drum, even if it is hard rock heavy metal whatever!!:poke:
Like I say, I enjoy just tooling down these rural roads in my old Mopar that does everything like a 50 years old car does!!!!
If I really wanted to go hard around corners for a few $$ I could buy a decent Vette! I know...Blasphemy!!!!!!:lol:
Crank Up The Mighty Vannnnnn Halennnn =VH=

I wonder if the rave about rack & pinion in BMW's in the 1980's was over-rated. My 1985 M-B 300D has a Pitman-arm box in its W123 chassis, which was considered to have very good handling in its day. It has IRS, which probably contributes a lot to keeping the rear-end stuck on turns. More important is that everything is tight in the steering, with minimal play. Mopars were over-assisted. Rick Ehrenberg wrote an article on how to lower max pressure in a Saginaw pump (~1973+ Mopars?) to give more road-feel.

Another question...can those tubular upper and lower arms you have be purchased separately from the whole kit somewhere? QA1 doesn't show them separately on their website nor does HDK. Would you happen to know the dimensions of them?

Another question...can those tubular upper and lower arms you have be purchased separately from the whole kit somewhere? QA1 doesn't show them separately on their website nor does HDK. Would you happen to know the dimensions of them?
I am not sure what qa1 will sell. HDK will sell anything you want. Just reach out to him. Great guy. I have purchased a few items from him. Sorry I don’t know the dimensions.

I am not sure what qa1 will sell. HDK will sell anything you want. Just reach out to him. Great guy. I have purchased a few items from him. Sorry I don’t know the dimensions.
I did reach out to HDK, and haven't heard anything back yet.

No reason not to use @HemiDenny for this. He's a great member and posts regularly. I'm sure he has something that will work great.

-
Back