best way to get a better stance

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i was thumbing around fabo pics and i saw this pic and i want to get my 68 to have that stance ....

whats the best way to get it done?

right now my car looks like a grandma car so low to the ground with the back end sagging .......its horrible.

Attachments

• 100_7827.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 360
It appears to have a straight axle with leaf springs under it in the front.

It appears to have a straight axle with leaf springs under it in the front.

i didnt even notice that till you mentioned it....

i bet it rides like a basketball .......but oh well ...i just want a better stance than the grandma lowrider thing i have going now :laughing:

Rebuild the front end with high eccentric cam washer bolt sets for the uppers, so you can correct for camber and bring the ride height up a little bit.

Also, your /6 torsion bars are likely sagged. Easy to adjust out, but better off with some 1" bars.

Just replacing the rear leaf springs or adding a few to them and raising the torsion bars helps.

and looking awesome ....that is such a sexy loooking car ........i like it ....i like it. :razz::razz:

Yes, but as PBD pretty much said: it won't be worth a damn as a driver. I suggest trying it with a car you don't drive everyday and see how you like it

The rear springs have been moved to the top side of the axle also.

I had a 68 dart that someone had added 3 leafs and longer shackles in the rear and jacked the torsion bars all the way up in order to clear 15x8s in the rear. Handled like dog s41t. I dropped it back down with 15x7s rear and added front and rear sway bars for a much better handling car. Now a buddy of mine owns the car and he slammed it down even lower.

..that car looks silly...way to high in the air..maybe he runs big mudder 4*4 tires in the winter ?

Run 14s in the front and 15s in the rear to give the car some attitude..or something like that...

I dropped it back down with 15x7s rear and added front and rear sway bars for a much better handling car. Now a buddy of mine owns the car and he slammed it down even lower.

Sounds like someone I'd get along with! :D

Neat stance. Looks tuff, like old school drag. Plus ground clearance is great for off roading (bandit style).

First questions. Do you want your car that high? Or are you just sick of how low yours is?
What is your intended purpose for the car? Looking cool? Drag race? Street driving like all over the place on hills and curves?

Jacking a car up that much obviously hinders the process of carving curves severely unless you have some stiff springs and sway bars to compensate, which will give you some street and curves capabilites. I mean, heck my 4x4 dakota is pretty high up (very stiff suspension) and it corners excellently. But if it had lots of power it would just smoke the tires rather than launching in 2wd cause the suspension is like a brick.

Well, you can raise and stiffen it: The rear leaf section by adding some leafs out of a dakota or another car with matching width and proper length leafs. I would look for long thick leafs to give you height and strength in the rear, then add back all your factory leafs too, under the long new leafs. There are threads on here that describe the process and results. Front, I would get stiffer torsion bars which are correctly indexed, then crank them up high. Like factory BB bars or stiffer. Also, I would run sway bars front and rear to help with the leaning effects.
Problem with stiffening suspension is that drag racing is going to be less than optimized do to the lack of suspension reaction / travel and weight transfer.

So you are stuck with raising it with soft suspension (particularly in the front) and driving a walrus all over the highway but good for drag racing, or stiffening it and raising it but not being too great at launch.

You could try to get a hybrid effect:

Run stiff T bars and rear springs, sway bars, but when drag racing, disconnect both the sway bars (from the links) and change out front shocks to drag shocks. You can help your weight transfer some with those changes, on a stiff suspension.

I am sure there are a number of ways you could create compromises in a car suspension in an attempt to get the best of both worlds with regards to cornering and launching but they will likely always be taking away from one to give to the other.

i was thumbing around fabo pics and i saw this pic and i want to get my 68 to have that stance ....

whats the best way to get it done?

right now my car looks like a grandma car so low to the ground with the back end sagging .......its horrible.

Lets have a look at the grandma car,not all grandmas are alike,lol. :D

What car are you talking about? Your 68 Dart had been raised up already, is it a different car? Can't be Natasha, she is not a lowrider....

There ya go... :)

01011101030501040820080117daffd9bb3ad6bd288a0029c5-X3.jpg

Lets have a look at the grandma car,not all grandmas are alike,lol. :D

What car are you talking about? Your 68 Dart had been raised up already, is it a different car? Can't be Natasha, she is not a lowrider....

i am absolutely talking about Natasha ....she is down for paint now and i dont a freshly painted car to not have the stance i have.

i want a drag race look even though it is a driver.......i dont really care if it rides like a basketball ........i dont really ever drive that far from my house so i would put the look before comfort ..........so might as well go for the ghusto and get it the way i want it now.....is what im figuring.

i raised it as much as i could last fall with shackles and cranked the torsion bars up 10 turns .......but its saggy again in the back now ever since i loaded the trunk with some heavy stuff and it never came back to where it was :banghead:

Attachments

• CIMG1348.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 263
  • CIMG1354.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 279
  • CIMG1350.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 274
  • CIMG1351.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 285
Rani, you REALLY do not want the front end that high as it does nothing for the car in anyway shape or form except cause ill's. IMO, purchase new leaf springs @ 1 inch over bent for a raised rear. You'll have the muscle car/racer rake to it. The raised front does nothing for racing but cause wind resistance. poor handling and a slower car.

Raise the front enough just for ground and tire clearance.

Maybe if you lowered the front end back to were it belongs, then the back wont look like its sagging so much....lol

Sorry, I know thats not the answer your looking for..

-
Back