best way to strip a dash bezel

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Do any of you have a good idea on how to strip the old paint/chrome off of a dash gauge bezel?

1b11fd90.jpg

I started sanding it, and I will probably sand some of the details out if I continue. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sodablasting it at low pressure might work. I have heard soakiing in brake fluid for a few days to a week will remove the paint, but not sure about the "chrome". Are you looking to restore it or just make it look better?

Like said above, I could try it in the media cabinet at work with low pressure. I would just have to be really careful not to take off the texture. The nice thing about blasting will mean that it's ready to shoot after. Bring it by later tonight if you want Jeremy.

Awesome, Thanks guys. I will stop by in a little while John. Thanks!

+2 on the oven cleaner. That's an old trick for removing aluminum anodization, also.

If you plan to rechrome it, sanding has already added details that aren't good.
I have a custom soak tank containing 7 gallons of Wesleys Bleech-White.
Sure some sanding is required where I repair or modify the plastic. To get the smooth surface required for chrome I buy foam blocks with different grits of finishing paper. These are meant/sold for use on finger nails. Actually, i should have said a whole lot of sanding.

I have had success with Easy-Off oven cleaner for removing paint from plastic. I think it is basically some sort of lye solution.

-
Back