Big block duster pain in the A$$

-
Took all night, but starter is in, and yes it's a mini starter as well. Pass side header is in with spark plugs. Tomorrow will be drivers header and plugs. Piece by piece it will be done.

try it in a 64 dart if you think your is a pain in the ***.............fab fab fab...............lots of it
word...
My buddy had a low deck in a 68 Barracuda, and his generic headers were a PITA to install, like he had to drop the motor in around the headers or some Tom foolery. totally beat them to hell trying to get them to install around a std starter then even a mini. Welcome to big block A's :finga:

383 4-speed in '70 Duster with TTi headers. From the bottom. Engine, headers, trans,
steering box and starter all bolted together.. No dents, no scratches, no problems.

2013-04-10_15-57-18_646_zpsfe8b267a.jpg

2013-04-10_15-56-37_570_zpse7378847.jpg

383in4_zps2beec49a.jpg

goldDuster3031_zpsf09de0c9.jpg

Hey,wheres the like button old man mopar? Looks like you did the suspension and brakes after.Smart.

from bottom up is how Ma did it. If you can, thats the way to go.

Need some help here now the center link is hitting the oil pan, i only get one turn of the wheel. Do i dimple the 187 oil pan, or replace center link idler arm and pitman arm? What steering components are supposed to work here?

sorry 71 duster all 6 cylinder stuff i believe i got from Rock auto .Moog stuff. K7042 idler arm, and K7074pitman arm, and factory centerlink. I am assuming the centerlink can only go in one way

Is the motor sitting level in the car? You may have to shim the passenger mount if using the biscuit style...

When i rebuilt the front end, is there any chance that the center link can be put in wrong end for end etc? Or does it only go in one way.

I found some older posts on here that said the 187 pan will not clear 100% and needs to be dimpled?

Need some help here now the center link is hitting the oil pan, i only get one turn of the wheel. Do i dimple the 187 oil pan, or replace center link idler arm and pitman arm? What steering components are supposed to work here?

I'm thinking the original 68 Barracuda 383 idler and pitman might get you there without messing up the pan. I have run the original 68 A body pan, a 68 road runner pan, and was told by Mopar Performance that I could run an original Hemi pan, without problems.

If it helps I have the stock one in my 74 and a 187 pan and it clears....just......

I have the 73 spool mount K frame in my 72 with a 699 pan and everything clears.

I have a spare 187 pan will look at it mark it i guess and get the local welding shop to cut it up and weld in a groove so the centerlink clears? all that can be done here i guess.

Well the problem being the studs on his conversion mounts don’t allow for much of a shim. I Was looking and i have have of the solution. I installed the original idler arm and that made a huge difference. I got an extra half turn. I ordered a new one, a moog and it's way thicker than the stock one. My car only had 20.000 miles so i am confident in this idler arm. Will only have to massage the pan a bit to get the rest.

-
Back