Big Block power with better heads???

-
What's the purpose? I'm assuming this is for fairly unlimited 275, 10.5 etc 'street' type classes? If NA, design something to make use of the Hemi 99 prostock heads, something that can take big inches on a 4.900 bore spacing. For boosted motors, the Gen 2 hemis are already the best thing going. S/F.....Ken M

let me get this straight. you're going to cast a mopar block with side bolted mains with chevy bore spacing. that means I need a chevy crank, correct. adaptor to get the convertor hooked up. then chevy heads and all the valve gear. a chevy intake. chevy pistons. BUT I can use a mopar distributor and water pump housing and pump.

let me get this straight. you're going to cast a mopar block with side bolted mains with chevy bore spacing. that means I need a chevy crank, correct. adaptor to get the convertor hooked up. then chevy heads and all the valve gear. a chevy intake. chevy pistons. BUT I can use a mopar distributor and water pump housing and pump.

Why would you need an adapter to run a converter? Most fast cars run a powerglide already.

Like the idea,O.P.... It makes sense,for a hard core racer.... A 2000-2500 iron block,is a great idea... I would start witth one option (BBC,OR traditional Wedge head ,) on a limited run,see how people like it. (possibility of expanding to the second option,if business is good enough) My two cents,Chev Rat heads..

I, unlike most here could care less about putting Chevy parts in my mopar. What ever is the cheapest that does the job best is going to be my pick. I got flamed pretty hard on here for putting a TH400 in my car. With that said, I like the idea and option for an aftermarket block but if I got to this point I would just go ahead and get a good aftermarket Chevy block because you could just use all off the shelf parts. It's really not a Mopar anymore anyway so what's the advantage? I get what your trying to do and I'm a fan of this thought process but I think the crowd you would appeal to wouldn't have a problem just running a Chevy block anyway.

Bob, I guess now that I think about it your talking about off the shelf crank to keep cost down.

For something like this, keeping costs down got BTFO long ago. Yeah, there's a bunch, a whole bunch of racers shoe stringing some pretty fast crap down the strip, but that's not what any manufacturer designs and builds parts for.

If you're trying to save money and go fast, buy used Fuel or Top Alcohol hemi stuff and go supercharger or turbo. The rules determine what parts you need to use to race.

If you're going away from the 4.8 bore spacing, go to 4.9 B/S so you can use Pro-stock stuff. Otherwise, you're just wasting time and money for half assery. You're going to be buying Bryant or Winberg billet stuff anyways.

As for the front mounted distributor; it's going to be crank trigger fired so you might as well use a front mount distro belt driven off the crank. Saves a couple pounds. S/F....Ken M

Rules wont allow you in many cases to just buy used Fuel or Alcohol parts. I need to run high 4's in street trim to whip *** in True Street. You have to have water blocks etc...
I like the idea of aftermarket blocks that will handle 1500 plus horsepower.

do like the last world products mega block was have Mopar/Chevy pattern on bell. If block had enough material could set up head pattern for Chevy or Chrysler as well as lifter holes to match or leave them blank and machine shop could put lifters where need to be as a spread port Chevy head lifters are in wrong spots stock location anyways. I and several others would be interested be nice if could go 4.900 bore space too. I know you can get a crank for Chevy with mains 4.84 space but rod journals moved to 4.900 I run a prostock hemi99 in truck now destroked to 483cid and built a cast single 4 for it. some Chevy guys are bitching about it already. I also have a b1 mc 4.5 bore 3.800 stroke max effort 55mm cam 1/2 pushrods 16:1 cr (radar did heads)dry sump etc. nice piece but won't run with majority of the Chevys out there several are drce headed too,Not enough head and 4.800 bore space hurts airflow badly. Anything ya got done would be great as we can't even get a iron block now.

Last edited:
With the lines being blurred every day between what is considered factory and what is aftermarkert and with product allegiance being a big deal we came up with an idea. We are looking to cast a new block that will accept a big block chevy head.

Anyone who cares little for keeping their Mopar "all mopar" will just use a motor plate and stick a Chevy block in it. Everything is cheaper that way. I think while this makes sense from a head standpoint, in the "big picture", it will go nowhere. Even the Predator guys get heat for it being "too Chevy". We need a really strong wide bore center block that is of suitable quality and acceptable (notice I did not say 'reasonable') cost. Even then the market is very, very small with no opportunity for recouping anything or making $$.
Just my $.02...

-
Back