Big block trans on a small block

-

Dustman73

Reaction score
Will a big block 727 bolt onto a 340? If not what adapter would I need? would the big block tranny fit under the tranny hump in a 64 valiant? Any help is very much appreciated
thanks guys!

no. get yourself a 904 or small block 727. i see them all the time for 100-150 bucks. i have never seen an adapter. and i cant tell you if a BB trans will fit without cutting up the tunnel

With some hammer work on the floor pan a 727 will fit into an early A-body. A big block 727 is the same physical size of a small block 727 but as the other guys said it won't bolt up without an adapter which I'm not sure anybody even makes. Even if they did it'd cost you as much or more than re-building a 904, which is the only sensible thing to do because with just a basic shift kit their plenty tough to take on almost any 340 in a light weight early a-body. Plus they don't consume as much power to operated as a 727 does (i.e. about 25 free horsepower).

The 727 bigblock trans and the small block is the same trans.just one fits the bb bellhousing the other fits the sb bell.If you want a bb trans then get a sb 727.

Even though I run a 727 (bought a van with a 360/ 727) there has been LOTS of talk here, buys running considerable power successfully through a 904, so don't discount "that good deal" just because it was a 904 and not a 727

Do be aware that the external balanced engines like the 360 came with weights on the torque converter, so if you get one like this, you'll either have to remove the weights or change the converter for your 340. No biggie.

The 727 is a little longer than the 904, so you'll need to do some driveshaft work.

Thanks guys this helped a lot.. glad I didn't waste my time trying to pull that tranny from the junkyard.. the 904 seems like the best choice overall.. its a direct bolt up with better power output.. now I'm back to my search for a cable 904 from 64.. I want the push button to still be functional ;)

To maybe correct above post, I understood that the BB 727 is longer. In my 65 Newport it is 35" from bellhousing to rear of tailshaft (aluminum). At least when I replaced it, that was what the national rebuild shop went by. Still, they sent the wrong tranny (not a cable shift).

Good luck finding the cable-shift tranny. I bought a SB 727 cable-shift for $100 at a local Mopar show w/ torque converter. Another guy had advertised one for $100 on craigslist a year or so before. A 904 is better since more efficient and fits better. I vaguely recall that people have adapted their cable-shift to operate a lever-shift 904, perhaps using parts from a Lokar kit. That would move you to a sliding yoke output instead of the hard-to-fix ball & trunion driveshaft, though there are other options for that. If you do, you need a tranny 68 or earlier (I recall) so the torque converter snout fits your crankshaft. Brings up another issue. What year is your 340? You may need an adapter ring if your crank hole is bigger than the trans snout (search FABO).

The 340 is a 69 so will that not work with a 64 tranny? Cuz I would really like to keep the push button

A 69 340 will certainly work with a 64 pushbutton 904. You'll also need the adapter ring for the end of the crank. It has a larger opening than the 64 torque converter's snout.

The 340 is a 69 so will that not work with a 64 tranny? Cuz I would really like to keep the push button

yes..you can use the adapter ring for the converter hub...or you can get a converter for the small crank pilot with the correct splines for the early trans...

the ring is cheaper...but if you need a converter

you still have to find a v8 904 pushputon trany, and then have to deal with the trunion stlye front joint. you can't upgrade to the slip yoke style because the speedo is differant.

-
Back