Big issues with BB mounts on Dart!

-
Second pic on the left says in small letters that 2 inches below the 9/16 hole you drilled out. That some need the perch notched for oil pump clearance.

Second pic on the left says in small letters that 2 inches below the 9/16 hole you drilled out. That some need the perch notched for oil pump clearance.

Oh i missed that thanx for the help i appreciate it a lot

image.jpeg
No problem. Hope it helps you. Got any pics of your car?

There she is :D i named her sabrina..

Definitely not a 73 up spool type K member though.
The mounts should look like these...

A67B6.jpg

Last edited:
Its the slant k, i know about drilling n cutting the driver side i just didn't know about the notch and after i read the 73 slant to bb I didn't see anything about the notch like the 72 n down
Get your own thread!!!

Just kidding...

So, if anyone else can benefit by my woes,

I actually did not see the part of Shumacher's instructions for the conversion /6 mounts combined with polylocs that said that my MOPAR PERFORMANCE ALUMINUM VALVE COVERS are too tall to fit!

This was part of the problem, as the valve covers were touching the heater box and not allowing the motor to adjust as much...

Also, obviously I need a shim or two on the passenger side after I put on the stock 60's valve covers...

Also, we had to adjust the cut-out for the oil pump slightly...

I will send pics and an update to let you know exactly what worked...

I remember doing a couple of builds using a stock K and Schumacher mounts.....both sat unlevel and required shimming / notching of the K and additional clearencing for the oil pump.

Sometimes it is a little more work.....but it is hot roddin. Once you are over a certain age.....better than sex.

Last edited:
So, now that we shimmed the passenger side 1/4 inch the entire motor is still way crooked!

Shumacher said that I couldn't fit my Mopar performance valve covers so we just stuck on some old shorter ones till we figure that out...

Shumacher said that the measurements are supposed to be 5 1/4 and 16 1/8 from the frame rail... Well, its now 5 3/4 and 16 3/8+ which doesnt seem like a lot, but the whole motor is totally crooked!!!!

This is totally freaking me out! We can't proceed!! I have radiator and tons of parts sitting here, headers, blah blah blah, but we are still trying to figure out what the hell is up...

Look at the pics! A man was walking by and just causually stated "Man that motor is cockeyed!"

Sigh.... Lord help us...

motorr8.jpg

motorr7.jpg

motorr6.jpg

motorr5.jpg

motorr1.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody can see a thing in those pictures. We need CLEAR bright pictures of the mounts and K frame area in order to determine anything I think

Everything starts from the trans mount. There should be the same offset at the tail of the trans as there is at the front of the crank (for what it's worth I've never had to measure this). Hopefully these pics will help. This is the 440 in my son's '67 Dart.
P1011295.JPG
P1011296.JPG
P1011297.JPG
P1011298.JPG
P1011299.JPG
P1011300.JPG
P1011301.JPG
P1011302.JPG

Since I installed a 440 in my 67 dart, the right side valve cover hits the Blower motor. Ever so slightly.

I used the directions from Bigblockdart.com to modify a 73-76 spool k frame and it worked out perfect.Stock engine mounts with shumacher headers and the 440 fit like a glove. Make Your Own DC-K Frame

Since I installed a 440 in my 67 dart, the right side valve cover hits the Blower motor. Ever so slightly.

Yes, mine was touching hard with the nice valve covers on... now that I have the stock valve covers on (to give me more adjustment) I am just gonna paint them orange to match the block and do some kinda chrome air cleaner with mopar vinyl on it...

ANYWAYS, my Dad says he is gonna put the original style biscuit mounts on instead of the poly-locs (and put a torque strap on) and see if this helps the fitment. Th polylocs seem to be part of the problem...

I wonder if I could cut down the driver side biscuit mount like a quarter inch plus? This would put that side just about right...

The biscuit mount is like 7/8 to start with... and that is the side the torqustrap would be on I think...

-
Back