Biggest Rear tire setup on stock 68 dart 14" wheel

-

Serj22

Reaction score
I have been searching and find a lot of conflicting answers. Tire sizes are not really my specialty. This is a 270. It has the stock springs, 4 doors, and I'm sure it has the 7.something rear end, and a slant 6.

The only thing consistant I found is a 255 60/15 would fit,and 225 70/15.

But I see a lot of things working for 15's. I want similar sizing from my 14" wheels I have, but have no idea how the sizes convert when you go down 1".

They are a set of 14" x 7" SBP American Racing Outlaw II's.
4" backspace
0 offset

I just need to know what will fill up the back as close as I can get while not hitting anything. I want it raked, so I don't care about that. If the rear needs to be lifted a couple, I can do that too, but prefer to see how big a tire will fit with the stock setup. It seems the lip on the inside of the panel closest to the door will be an issue for a larger tire. Do people usually cut that? I can do that as well.

They are also only going in the back. The front is staying as is for now, so I'm not worried about having all 4 tires the same.

I have had 275 60 15 on the back of many 67 to 69 darts , but in all those cases i had 002/003 s/s springs , the tires were on 15x7 rallys , i have also had 235 60 15 goodrich ta on the front with 15x6.5 rallys , you crank up the bars but you geta bad *** look

295 50R/15s 10 inch thread, 10 inch rims w/springs moved in 3/4". If you're springs are not moved in the tires would still fit. But you didn't say what car you drive. I have the larger torsion bars with 3 inch lift on the rear spring (7 leaves I believe). I wanted it jacked up like back in the 60s (The good ole' days).

Besides, the car is too hard to work on when it's dragging on the ground plus you get more header clearance!!
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01625.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC02590.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 543
  • DSC02591.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC02592.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 505
  • DSC02593.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 482
  • DSC02594.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 475
Its possible to roll the lip with a base ball bat (wood) and a heat gun, videos on youtube. I gained over 1" on my fat rear lip. Also a taller tire leans more on the turns and air pressure becomes more important.

I don't really want to roll the lip out. Even with a heat gun. The paint job was a home job done by previous owner, and I worry about chipping it - because it's definitly not perfect.

So, is it safe to say, with what I've noticed here, that 245/60 r14s are the biggest I can get on the back while leaving her stock in the rear end?

Don't know about width but the tallest tire I could find that was sanely priced was a set of 215/75/14's from hankooks for $69 a piece. They fit my Dart fine with the SS springs. I think theyd clear with stock springs so long as they arent sagged like mine was.

Edit: your wheelwells should be identical to mine in dimensions.

The 245 60r14s are starting to sound like the best bet. It winds up being about 25.5" tall and close to 10" wide. That seem correct and reasonable for fitting back there? Compared to the 185/50 r 13's that are there, discount tire's calculator makes it about 5" diameter larger than the wheel there already, so I'm guessing it'd be about 2.5" higher in the back than the front. I'm curious if that will visually rake the car at all, which is what I want.

I have 245-60-14's on my 72 valiant more door.They fit nice on 14x6 Keystones.

Attachments

• 10-04-13 017.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 10-04-13 016.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 10-04-13 011.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 438
I was almost positive that to run a 275/60 out back on a Dart you would need to relocate the springs inward... but at any rate, I agree with others posting here. 245/60 is the biggest your gonna get in a 14 inch wheel... I run 235/60's on the back of my Dart currently and have also run 245's before... I intend to upgrade to 255/60's on a 15 inch wheel out back

Well, I got some 245/60 r14s. They just barely fit comfortably, There's a 1/2" or so between it and the leaf springs, the only thing i don't like is the clearance at the wheel well. It's about 3/8".

I saw what "rolling the fenders with a bat" is, and while it seems rather barbaric, it looks simple enough to handle, and is definitly a necessity. I called a couple shops to see if they would roll them and no one wants to touch it. I can understand that.

The cost out the door for 2 tires, mounted to the wheels, stems, etc... was $340.

These are definitly the biggest things that will fit here, so I'm happy, and the looks is just way better. Will get pics up in a sec.

I had 245/60's on my Dart and had a bit more room than that.. that is pretty tight indeed

I just rolled them with a closet rod and hydraulic jack. I can fit my fingers between them now. The passenger side of the car is - just now notably - lower than the driver's. On passenger side the fender is even with the top of the wheel. On driver's side, it is about 2" above that.

After rolling, I can fit my hand between the tire and body, and they do not rub at all, unless i go over a bump, while driving fast, and turning right. SO not often at all.

I'm going to have the springs redone in the back so the rear end is not tilted over to the right. You can kind of see where the body eclipses the tire a little too much on that side.

But I'll agree with those before. This is probably the biggest tire that will fit under here.

about a year ago i had the exact same question ! on my 69 swinger i switched it to large bolt and my wheel of choice off a 1980 cordoba 15/7 with 4.5"of backspace ss springs that i added a leaf to ! im running bfg ta's 235/70/15 and they are tight !! the clearance issues are, inner fender to sidewall, (1/2"more backspace would cure this problem) tread to front wheel house is tight ! so i think i will drop to a 60 series next time ! the way it is your ok if u dont put anything in the trunk or backseat!! here is my thread with pics have a look !!! http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u+30355 or check member gallery ....rda340 hope this helps !!

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 332
Well, I got some 245/60 r14s. They just barely fit comfortably, There's a 1/2" or so between it and the leaf springs, the only thing i don't like is the clearance at the wheel well. It's about 3/8".

I saw what "rolling the fenders with a bat" is, and while it seems rather barbaric, it looks simple enough to handle, and is definitly a necessity. I called a couple shops to see if they would roll them and no one wants to touch it. I can understand that.

The cost out the door for 2 tires, mounted to the wheels, stems, etc... was $340.

These are definitly the biggest things that will fit here, so I'm happy, and the looks is just way better. Will get pics up in a sec.

Man they took you to the cleaners. My total cost was $140 mounted and balanced for my 215/75/14's

Price out a set of 245/60/14 bfg T/As lately? They're going up.

Yup, no matter where I went the 245/60/14 bfg's were $135ish. Big-O is two blocks away from my house and had them for $134. So I was not disappointed. The 215s they had, but I wanted to get literally as large as would fit. I saw 215s for less than $80, but that's not what I had in mind. I was expecting to pay over $100 a piece for them.

-
Back