Biggest tire on 1969 dart

-
15x8 and 275x60/15s. offset hanger 7/8" bolt on stuff. lip removed and tubs as well so it sits low. 9" not stock width but close.

-- You should be able to fit a 275/60/15 with the offset spring kit. The key is measuring carefully. You may have to order custom offset wheels as well. --
-- I had 15 X 8 Mopar wheels with altered B S, off-set spring kit, and 275/60-15 tires, on a 68 Dart. -- I do not remember the B S. -- Measure carefully, get a pair of wheels modified, and they will fit. -- Oops !! This is a repeat - see post # 16.

Attachments

• Dart 68.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 349
i went thru all this and ended up buying a rear end and offsett spring brackets...everything fit perfect with 275 -60- 15 ...but thats about it unless you do grinding and cutting i think.if you want the contact just pm me...he was very helpful and sold me the right stuff

My Dart is a 71. I'm running 15x8 inch steel wheel with 5 inch backspace. Using the 3/4 inch offset shackles just had to roll the outer fender lips. No rubbing fits great.

So from what I see on all posts I have read

A 15" x 8" rim with a 5" backspace you have to roll or trim lip
And I'm not sure about what clearance is left on the inside

With a 15" x 8" rim with a 5.5 backspace clears the lip
But not sure what is left on inside

One post said he tried a 15" x 8" with a 5.5 backspace and it touched the leaf spring
And springs where in stock location and mine are moved in 3/4 " per side

I also seen 1969gts used 5.5 back space
But he don't say how the fitment was and I see he has not been on site since 2010
I tried to send him a measage

Any thoughts

So from what I see on all posts I have read

A 15" x 8" rim with a 5" backspace you have to roll or trim lip
And I'm not sure about what clearance is left on the inside

With a 15" x 8" rim with a 5.5 backspace clears the lip
But not sure what is left on inside

One post said he tried a 15" x 8" with a 5.5 backspace and it touched the leaf spring
And springs where in stock location and mine are moved in 3/4 " per side

I also seen 1969gts used 5.5 back space
But he don't say how the fitment was and I see he has not been on site since 2010
I tried to send him a measage

Any thoughts

i have 15x8 4.5 bs but i dont know if my rear end is exactly the stock width as i had it made so my wheels would fit. if you relocate the leafs you can get a 12" wheel and massive tires inside a mini tubbed wheel well. i am about to move mine to the inside of the frame rail so i can run a massive rear tire for mexican racing league.

best thing you can do is take a large square and measure your rearend from flange to inner fender lip. you can then measure the other way from flange to leaf spring side. allow 1 inch per side for tire sidewall clearence. the more the better but 8" wheel put it dead in the center of gap from leaf side to fender lip.

i had to use the offset 7/8" hangers and shackles. which i will be selling very soon all new

Anybody else
I have seen 1 person run 5.5 b.s
And one person tried 5.5 and they touched the spring with stock spring location
My springs are moved in 3/4 per side

Go 5.5 and if you have to run spacers. You an never add backspace, only take it away.

I've posted my offsets several times on here. I think my rear backspacing for my 17x8 rims is either 5.375 or 5.5, but, I have a stock A body rear with 11" drum and large bolt pattern axles. With a 245/45/17 BFG Comp II tire, I have a little room on the inside and need to trim the inner fender on some side because the Quarter panel was replaced (aftermarket) and the lip is larger than stock. my springs are stock location and no tubs, all stock.

This is why I preach: measure your car with your set up. You may have a 66 B Body rear or a 70 B body rear, or a custom D60 with discs. Th Wheel Rite is cheap compared to messing up an order for $1300 custom offset rims.

Ok
So i see two people with the 5.5 backspace
And one person tried and wheels hit the springs
But his springs are in the stock location

I will measure for my backspace when I have a chance
But figured there are a lot of dart owners on here

My goal is to see how many people used the 5" backspace and if they had to cut or roll anything so they would fit.

And to see how many people ran the 5.5 backspace
And from what I have seen nobody's had to cut or roll anything with the 5.5
They only had to move springs in

The rear end is a stock a bodie 8 3/4

The rear end is a stock a bodie 8 3/4

Is it converted to LBP? If so then 15x8 with a 5.5 back spacing and a 245 wide tire should fit and may require a small spacer and some inner fender work.

I don't think you will find this as an off the shelf rim.

I had to order custom rims to properly fit my car with no spacers or BS.

Rear end is small bolt pattern

I will have the mopar dude make a set for the rear with a custom b.s

Maybe 5.25" backspacing is the most ideal... If you can only choose between 5 or 5.5 you'll never have it quite right. This is why I told you to just go 5.5 and use spacers. Think about it. Adjust to perfection.

OR

Your car may be like mine where it has a replacement quarter on one side that makes the tire tighter to the lip on one side. Again... space to perfection.

Attachments

• 20150430_150814.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20150430_162407.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 168
My 68 Dart:
- stock 8 3/4" rear with large bolt pattern axles
- stock spring location (SS springs)
- 255/60R15 on 7" steel wheels with 4 1/2" backspacing
- on drivers side: less than 1/2" clearance to fender lip and about 1" clearance to springs
- on passengers side: had to trim about 1/8" off of fender lip for clearance and about 1" clearance to springs

I ordered new Cragars last summer and just checked the old ones they are 15x8 with 3 3/4
Back spacing I'm running 60s on the back, not sure of exact size but I have 3/4 clearance between tire and wheel well ,I can check tomorrow as the car is in storage if you want,
Yes car is stock rears

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 163
Maybe 5.25" backspacing is the most ideal... If you can only choose between 5 or 5.5 you'll never have it quite right. This is why I told you to just go 5.5 and use spacers. Think about it. Adjust to perfection.

OR

Your car may be like mine where it has a replacement quarter on one side that makes the tire tighter to the lip on one side. Again... space to perfection.

I can get any backspace needed 5" 5 1/4" 5.5"
When I'm ready I will have the mopar dude make my wheels.

-
Back