Biohazard

-
I like having her under roof just because summer's coming. No fun tooling when it's 95+ outside.

When little parts fall into those cavities in the cyl heads....just where do they go?

Have a small skinny magnet? Could probably fish the piece out of there if it's not stainless. It's just an air gap for the exhaust cross over port. Not very deep.

I couldn't actually get my magnet in there but I stuck a pretty strong larger magnet to a hacksaw blade and tried to fish it out that way. No dice. I guess its not going to show up in my oil pan so...whatever.

I tried to fish out that float hinge pin with a magnet - no luck.

So, I've cleaned the bowls, polished the floats, and fab'd a new pin.

You'll be ready to fire it up soon!!!!

Glad the "air gap" isn't too deep. I always wondered myself...haven't lost anything in there "yet"!!!

Man, I was soooo careful with the circlips and cotters for all the carb linkage but, as it happens, one thing got thru. I'm still waiting on my hose clamp set - would be nice to have coolant circulating during carb adjustments. I'll do another short vid when she actually lights-off.

LIGHT OFF!

After cleaning the floats, bowls, and making that pin, I got it all back together and cranked it up with no flooding. Awesome. Got a gallon of ATF poured in and let it run for a few seconds but (there's always a but) she don't sound good.

Listen to this vid clip and at the sound of something tapping very fast. Seems to be coming from the right rear of the block - possibly trans related?

[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/vr6pilot/Red%20Fish/88599F04-C1C3-41CA-8A8F-68A2D7F6C314_zps3zh05zsl.mp4]
th_88599F04-C1C3-41CA-8A8F-68A2D7F6C314_zps3zh05zsl.jpg
[/ame]

Tomorrow I'll pull that valve cover but until then, any ideas?

Sounds like a flex plate bolt to converter maybe rubbing the back of the block.

Surprised you started it with no coolant.

It didn't ever run longer than the vid you saw and the pump isn't belted yet.

I also kinda feel like its something in the tranny near the back of the block. But what about the flex plate could be screwed up? Tranny rebuilt, new flex plate installed with new bolts. Is this a low trans fluid in the converter symptom?

If the lower cover is off look at the bolt heads to the converter. If they are hitting the block you will see the marks. Factory bolts? If not they are most likely to thick. Just a guess but the noise was steady!

It definitely was steady and too high a frequency to be isolated to just one particular cylinder. I used (IIRC) Mr. Gasket torque converter bolts.

It definitely was steady and too high a frequency to be isolated to just one particular cylinder. I used (IIRC) Mr. Gasket torque converter bolts.

Agreed. Pull the inspection cover and have a peek! Maybe the oil galley plugs on the back of the block are hanging out to far??

Well, I'm working night shift tonight so hypothesizing on the internetz is all I get to do at present but, yes, I'll be under the car tomorrow. I'm thinking now....did I put washers under those bolts? Guess we'll see tomorrow.

But let it not be overshadowed that the beast did breathe today :prayer::cheers:

Well, I'm working night shift tonight so hypothesizing on the internetz is all I get to do at present but, yes, I'll be under the car tomorrow. I'm thinking now....did I put washers under those bolts? Guess we'll see tomorrow.

But let it not be overshadowed that the beast did breathe today :prayer::cheers:

I feel the same as everyone else...sure sounds like it's coming from the converter area.

AND...CONGRATS!!! Big milestone! :cheers:

Tracked my hose clamps to Albuquerque so I'll probably have them tomorrow.

You are probably better off with the factory bolts. If you do reuse those ones without the washers be sure to check the length. If they are too long they will drive into the converter itself when you tighten them and could cause damage.....potentially even a leak. I noticed in one of your earlier shots of the steering linkage that you are missing a cotter pin somewhere. I am guessing you left them out until after an alignment? Don't forget to install it / them....the helicopter engineer in me was coming out when I saw the missing pin, LOL.

You are absolutely correct- the cotter pins are on hold until alignment day.
As for the flex plate bolts, I gots no worries. Take a look between factory and the replacements....

Happiness!

[ame=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/vr6pilot/Red%20Fish/D85E8209-67EA-4E51-AD8B-523FD1288F2D_zpsn043obr3.mp4]
th_D85E8209-67EA-4E51-AD8B-523FD1288F2D_zpsn043obr3.jpg
[/ame]

You are golden. A dab of lock tight is a good idea on them. There is more than one instance of them backing out and creating the same noise that you had with the washers.

That was an absolute cold start. No priming, no starter fluid. Hooked up the coil wire and jumped the relay. She hadn't run since the day before. Can't believe how quick it fired off. Looking forward to having coolant on board.

Awesome..... Keep moving forward!

Spring clamps arrived today. Will gather 10' of heater hose tomorrow and then plumb the cooling system. Need to get all my accessory brackets in place in order to ensure proper alignment of all the belts. Still much work to do. Onward ho!

Spring clamps arrived today. Will gather 10' of heater hose tomorrow and then plumb the cooling system. Need to get all my accessory brackets in place in order to ensure proper alignment of all the belts. Still much work to do. Onward ho!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
What a feeling hay?
I'm happy you didn't get discouraged. Each issue is just a learning opportunity, Besides, It gives us all a chance to feel important when trying to help figure it out.
Now I need to get back in the garage and rebuild my transmissions valve body so I can post a video of my car moving faster than 20 MPH. Ha! Ha!
Congradulations!
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

-
Back