Birth of the Blue Missile

-
WoW here I,m wondering about wiring a couple relays LOL.Your wiring work is exceptional to say the least.Looking forward to your first fire up!:D

Here are the final pics of the PTT module in its new home in the gear shift section of the center console. Most of the work was done to transfer the on/off and volume controls from the cheap $5 helmet intercom to the front of the console and make them large enough to operate with racing gloves on. I still have to build the portion of the harness that connects to the sound system and the two-way radio.
With that in mind I went to the local Crack dealer to get some more Molex connectors and found some real doozies. The one on the right, hard to see, is a 36 pin connector! These actually come in a larger pin diameter size (.093") which you guys could use for firewall connectors, instead of the pricey mil-spec round ones I used.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000327.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 545
  • WP_000328.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 544
  • WP_000329.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 547
  • WP_000330.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 535
  • WP_000326.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 546
In case anyone needs a great visual aid on creating vacuum from compressed air, I now have one. I am using these for the afterburner system, lets leave off the youre crazy comments here. This fixture uses pure physics to take 90psi are and create 28" of vacuum. You guys that want to try vacuum bagging on a part can use one of these. HF @ $20.
I drilled some mounting holes in the first one and hit a cavity. I did not know If I had hit one of the air passages, so I cut the piece in half, confirming my layout was correct and I had hit a bubble in the casting.
Here are the pics.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000332.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 537
  • WP_000331.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 533
In case anyone needs a great visual aid on creating vacuum from compressed air, I now have one. I am using these for the afterburner system, lets leave off the youre crazy comments here. This fixture uses pure physics to take 90psi are and create 28" of vacuum. You guys that want to try vacuum bagging on a part can use one of these. HF @ $20.
I drilled some mounting holes in the first one and hit a cavity. I did not know If I had hit one of the air passages, so I cut the piece in half, confirming my layout was correct and I had hit a bubble in the casting.
Here are the pics.
Andrew

WOW, just Wow....... :thumblef:

so are you going to have room for things like a seat and engine once you get the wiring done on this?? this is crazy cool!

When will it have wings so it can go fly the moon? LOL, this build is sick!!! Love it :glasses7:

More wiring, If I didn't document the heck out of this my head would explode.

Abdrew

Attachments

• WP_000333.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 501
  • WP_000334.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 492
I thought I would show you guys how I'm documenting these modules. I take each one as a separate project so as not to get overwhelmed. Here is the spread sheet for the PTT module I just finished.
Andrew

Attachments

• Push to talk module.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 145
Sorry I have not posted for a while, but Ive been busy with work and putting a band together.
I ordered the head unit for the sound system and got that installed in the front console and then put some time into the fuel system for the afterburners.
I had to stand the vacuum generators on edge to make the fittings work out, and I have to get a couple of 180* fittings for the compressor leg of the equation so the entire affair is not sticking up in the air as it is now.
I drilled and tapped the fuel fill tube for the vapor supply.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000344.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 438
  • WP_000345.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 432
  • WP_000342.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 442
  • WP_000346.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 443
  • WP_000338.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 437
At our dealership we periodically host seminars for area emergency personel
to show them how to safely disable and power down hybrid vehicles that have
been involved in an accident.

In your case, you might need to consider a similar program that involves NASA,
the CIA, the Air Force and DHS.

I just keep thinking green hornet, batman.... lol it's awesome! I've always thought about building a license plate that flips over by a button and a spike that comes out of a flap on the bumper using air tanks and a spring to retract it. Not on my duster but that's another project lol

Still in the world of wiring, now I have made a small workbench for inside the car where I have to connect all modules and loose wires to get this thing powered up.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 354
Everyone gather 'round.......This is what the good kinda crazy looks like ;)
I love this thread! Endless idea's and possibilities.

I know its hard to see but all the glass is in and so are the electric regulators.
Im getting closer to completing the wiring, The next big milestone will be the shot of the cockpit all lit up, but still a ways off.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000010 (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 318
So after putting in the headliner, which not wont come out in one piece, and then putting in the carbon bagged sail panels, there seems to be a gap. A rather sizable gap. Im not rebuilding the sailpanels, so I have to create something to cover the screw up.
A couple of small interior lights will do the trick. I already put the wiring in place to power them.
So here they are, sheet metal which was then bagged in carbon. They are powered by LEDs and they look like they were always supposed to be there.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000022.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 291
  • WP_000016.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 297
  • WP_000015.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 289
  • WP_000013.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 291
Some of you have observed that there is no room for full size kick panels because of the down tubes for the cage. My only choice was to create partials that finish the door opening but stop at the cage.
Here is what I came up with sitting next to an original part.
Ill vacuum bag carbon on them over the weekend and post more pics.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000017.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 285
  • WP_000018.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 289
  • WP_000020.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 293
  • WP_000021 (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 292
I thought I spotted carbon fiber in this thread... Cool, there's another composites guy on here. What do you do with regards to a releasing agent and the surface finish of your part? I'm assuming your conducting wet lay ups?

muumuu,
For the one offs Im just doing a wet layup vac bagging with a release cloth(teflon coated fine denier fabric) A bleeder layer and ultra high stretch bagging film.
But for marine parts I have a VARTM setup and cast Al filled composite molds.
For those I have a wipe on liquid, for a first coat and Mcquires paste wax mold release.

For the rest of you guys who are saying what the hell are those "lights" and how are they gonna look, here is the pic, there is also one of the overhead console lit up.

The kick panels are bagged and curing pic of that as well.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000024.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 499
  • WP_000026.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 498
  • WP_000023.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 517
-
Back