BLACKED OUT HOOD MAINTENANCE ??

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
So, I 've got the blacked-out hood on my new to me 67 Barracuda.
What's the "proper" way to treat and maintain it?

I could use several "black" products, and it would look nice....for about 1 day.
They are petrol based and would tend to smear, smudge, and streak.

I'm guessing just clean and spray detailer.
:rolleyes:

front grill.jpg

I use Wizards wipe down spray on my V24. It acts as a quick detailer, doesn't leave streaks, oils or residue.
Wipe Down™

A shine would be counter productive since the idea of low gloss matte black is to reduce the sun glare :thumbsup:

Don't know what paint was used to black out your hood.... The paint Chrysler used on T/A's/AAR's & the A12 Roadrunner/Super Bee was Organisol & many of the guys with those cars use Lemon Pledge.... It lays down smooth, gives a very uniform appearance & doesn't attract a lot of dust... But in the spring it does sometimes attract bees...

I'm having a similar problem on my black hood scoops. No matter what I try, they always come out streaky or uneven. Really works against my OCD especially when cleaning it up for a show or cruise in. :BangHead:

I'm having a similar problem on my black hood scoops. No matter what I try, they always come out streaky or uneven. Really works against my OCD especially when cleaning it up for a show or cruise in. :BangHead:
OCD??? I can identify with that!
:rolleyes:

It all started back in 2006 with this beauty!

Dark- Spring 2009.JPG

I avoided the issue altogether and went with V21 style hood, scoops & cowl using gloss black paint. A little polish every once in a while and its good to go!

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_4422.png

I painted this with Organasol about 23 years ago. Just wash it when I wash the car. Never waxed.

I'm not sure where the post went to; but someone recommended the "Chemical Guys" Matt Spray Detailer.
And, I've always been looking for an excuse to try one of their products.

So, I got it in one day on Amazon.
This stuff is the bomb.. Just spray, wipe, and let dry!

Chemical Guys Matte spray detailer.jpg

hood sprayed.jpg

-
Back