1972 Canadian H-Code 340 Dart Swinger Special Resto - Finally started!

-
Great information Danny. You're lucky to been able to dig that up. Thanks for sharing.

Hey Danny, thanks for updating things here with the production numbers of these '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials - not a huge change for the '71's but yeah, our '72's, and especially your Pembina 'swooped' car, really got a haircut, eh! And yes, trying to set something up with Bob - I'll tell him to put on a big *** pot of coffee and we'll talk - he knows everything about that whole era, not only these cars but the drag racing scene, all the dealerships, the people... whew, haha. Looking forward to it. Keep you posted.

Hey Danny, thanks for updating things here with the production numbers of these '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials - not a huge change for the '71's but yeah, our '72's, and especially your Pembina 'swooped' car, really got a haircut, eh! And yes, trying to set something up with Bob - I'll tell him to put on a big *** pot of coffee and we'll talk - he knows everything about that whole era, not only these cars but the drag racing scene, all the dealerships, the people... whew, haha. Looking forward to it. Keep you posted.

Pick his brain Cliff!

I knew someone in Winnipeg who found one of these cars, I believe a 71 around 2002 or 2003 if memory serves. No idea what happened to it, he probably sold it.

I don't remember much about it, I did see it once or twice and confirmed it was an H code car, if memory serves it was blue, and not in terribly bad shape, considering he said that it was found it in a field in Headingley, just west of Winnipeg. I was fully involved in finishing my 70 at the time, otherwise I probably would have been interested. I know that the guy who bought it was aware of it's rarity, he was very into A body Mopars at the time, though probably did not know just how rare it was. I moved from Winnipeg in 2013, and haven't seen him since probably 2006 or so. I don't recall if it had any powertrain in it or not.

Thanks for the recollections missing linc, these are the pieces of information that along with other information help to track down the surviving cars and maybe Cliff knows something and can chime in. If any more details, however small, come to mind feel free to let us know here or on from the web site Cliff set up for these cars.

Thanks Danny

https://www.swinger340specials.ca/

Missing Linc... interesting and yes, if you could follow up somehow that would be awesome.
So, as you thought it was a '71 version of one of these cars and being that it was blue, that would be a 'NEW ONE'. We have never found a '71 Blue 340 Special and would in all likelihood be a Crestview car because the Crosstown cars were only available in 4 hi-impact colours. With that said, it would more than likely be a one-of-one Crestview version because we've found/documented 16 of the 18 cars made. Keep us updated if you by chance have a chance to look into things. Thanks in advance. Cliff

I'll let you know if I remember or find out any more about that car. I would be surprised if he did not sell it, I know he had been really into A bodies, but had switched gears at that time and was balls deep into W trucks then.

I saw these trailer tie down brackets on posting on FABO from another forum and thought those were perfect so I emailed Randy, the fella that makes them, and he sent them to me. They are very nicely made and fit like a glove on my 8 3/4 so I epoxied and painted them and installed them last evening. The only small issue I had was there wasn't as much thread left on the U-bolts using the washers as I would like to get a full bite so I left the washers off and used some thread locker instead and that worked fine.

Nice product Randy, thanks, and to let you know Randy is in Connecticut.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

Swinger340Canuck, where did you get your gas tank from? I can only find the ones dimpled for the sideways strap. Nice brackets, however o would get longer U bolts. Should have minimum 3 threads showing to be on the safe side IMHO.

Somehow I missed this post. A great idea for us old farts! Or young for that matter! Now what about the front????

Yeh Dave they should work great, I copied for the front what my friend Kevin (Scatpacker) uses on his which are these brackets that bolt thru that unused hole on the K-member,

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

The difference is these prevent the cars suspension from working while in the trailer and the back ones allow the suspension to travel, so something that attaches to the lower control arm might be a better front solution.

Swinger340Canuck, where did you get your gas tank from? I can only find the ones dimpled for the sideways strap. Nice brackets, however o would get longer U bolts. Should have minimum 3 threads showing to be on the safe side IMHO.

I got my gas tank from Auto Metal Direct at the same time I ordered my body panels, and I'll take your advise on the longer U-bolts and order some up, thanks.

I am thinking about using those brackets for the 77 Doba. For the Duster I purchased a set of over the tire tie downs from MAC'S Custom Tie Downs. I don't have to lay on my back and they allow the suspension to do it's thing during the ride. Passenger side installation is little more of a squeeze as you can see but I'm still quite limber Ha!

DSCN2762_zpsaikw10yt.jpg

DSCN2763_zpsu8keopoe.jpg

DSCN2770_zpsxztykbv0.jpg

DSCN2758_zpstd1zjypx.jpg

DSCN2776_zpsymisc8wr.jpg

DSCN2759_zps1ravuiq4.jpg

DSCN2761_zpsl1bp53qo.jpg

DSCN2754_zps8wcon3cx.jpg

That’s the perfect setup, both trailer and the tracks with overtire straps. Did your trailer come with the tracks or did you add them after?

I spec'd the airline track with a LOT of other upgrades when I had ATC build the trailer. An 88" escape door on the other side would have surely made things easier but it's not bad really. Besides, I was tapped out after adding options!

Followed moparmat2000’s advice and got some 7 1/2 inch long u-bolts to safely attach my tie down plates which worked out perfect, thanks for the tip.

6AECA6F5-B4C7-4044-B39C-F60432974598.jpeg

2DBF3499-A3B9-4483-A1DE-1FDFD0A6633E.jpeg

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised I picked up a little hardware at the first "Western Mopar Madness" at Edmonton's Castrol Raceway last weekend. It was a great event until the rain did us in.

Voila_Capture 2019-08-04_08-53-12_PM.jpg

image.png

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

-
Back