bleeding new wheel cylinders

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
Looking for help to try and get fluid to the back wheel cylinders. I got the front ones bleed. Is there any tricks to this. The car sat for a long time and lines are probaly bone dry. Will they build up with old fluid turning hard? Looking for good info
Thanks,
T.J.

I thing they hood some air pressure up to it and open all of the cyl. and just push it through, you fill up a few times on fluid, then do a manual pump till your leg falls off but it doesnt take to long or cost that much.

I start at the right rear, use a piece of clear fuel line attached to the bleeder and the other end immersed into a clean jar partially filled with brake fluid. Crack open the bleeder and pump till there is solid fluid in the hose. Keep an eye on the master so you don't suck it dry! Move to the next wheel, repeat. I have been doing it this way for years by my self without any problems. Some times it helps to put a little silicone grease on the bleeder threads so they don't suck air.

they make really nice hand vacuum pump that works grate. Its got a little reservoir on it to catch the fluid. Its really a handy gadget and is good for lots of other things. I got mine at TIP. Harbor freight probably has them to.

buy a self bleeder can from o reilys.

crack both the rear bleeders open and let gravity work . then do the self bleeder with pedal pressure, or have a friend pump the brakes.

start with the wheel furthest from the master.

if it had water in it.

but it's proportioning is actually done in the master, granted they say the orifice sizes do have affect.

its a combination block that isolates the front from the rear and has a pressure switch/warning light.

take one apart sometime...

do the rear passenger side first, then driver rear, then re-do the front passenger and then driver for added insurance - make sure the master cylider doesn't run dry. Personally, I like the hand pump bleeder - that way you don;t have to run back and forth to the driver seat to hit the pedal - it's all don right at the wheel. Buy one at advance or autozone - less than $20.

fill the MC, then get back to the passenger rear wheel - hook the line to the bleeder, and pump the vaccum gun - there is a little reseviour that collects the fluid. crack the bleeder open slightly, and wait for the air bubbles to stop. Lock the bleeder tight, and on to the next wheel. Very easy. Just go in the order I listed before. Just make sure to tighten the bleeder every once in a while and go up to check the level in the MC - don;t let it run dry - top it off often.

Had problems bleeding the Demon until I found and replaced a crushed line. If the rear wheel cylinders are toast, they are not hard to re-build or very expensive to replace.

Before blaming the wheel cylinders, check to see that you are getting fluid back to them. Disconnect line into backing plate and push brake pedal. If fluid comes out, then take on the cylinders.

When bleeding brakes use this sequence: RR, LR, RF, LF .

Thanks guys,
I tryed raising the front of the car up and letting gravity feed them with the bleeders open and the cover off the master cylinder? Didn't seem to help. i am heading out today to look for a vacumn pump. I will keep everyone posted.
Great help everyone.

Check your rubber hose coming from the body to the rearend that hose could be swollen shut my 66 cuda had that problem also my 79 impala.

They are new wheel cylinders and they have been on a shelf for awhile. I will check the rubber hose at the rear. that will be a good spot to start, to see if any fluid has got there yet. I purchased my Mitey-Vac pump today. Hopefully i will have time tomorrow to crawl under the car to check it out.
Good info guys.

Well I put the vacumn pump on the rear wheel cylinder bleeders and nothing, So I took Lou3500's advice and pulled the line loose after the distribution block at rear housing and nothing and then I took it apart before the rear hose and wa laa. Brake fluid, evidently the hose collapsed inside, at the rear housing distributuion block . It looked alright on the outside. I have a new one on the way, so i hope this will solve the problem. I will keep posted.
Thanks everyone for the help

Got them bleed today. It was the hose at the rear distribution block.
Thanks for the help everyone. I hope this helps other people out there as well..

-
Back