Block ID?

-

TNT440_Cbody

Reaction score
I've searched all over the block and the internet and still don't have any idea what is in my car. I need to know so I can get the right spark plugs and stuff to get the thing running!

Block has the following markings under the intake manifold:
front: 330 4
rear: 2660
rear: AAWJ

Do any slant 6's come with long threaded plugs and a tapered seat? I stuck my little LED flashlight into the plug hole and the threads seem like they go on for a while.

Pics:
5325286895_c99f3ff0ea_b.jpg

5325894306_4646216a2d_z.jpg

5325287683_0d06e85ace_z.jpg

That 273 transplant is looking better and better... :read2:

Unfortunately my camera lens is stuck half way out and the camera is now shot. Can't a guy have SOMETHING work out in 2011? So far, not so good. :pale:

The head is from 1975-83 as it does not have spark plug tubes.Three different casting numbers of heads where made,3698447 was used from 75-77 with no tubes and used the BL type spark plugs.In 1978 they used a head with tubes-3698447.The 4104362 head was used in 79-80,the 81-83 head is 4095778,and the casting numbers are under the valve cover,remove it and check the number,mrmopartech

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=66
Dp check out our casting number list and look for the number on the side of the block to ID the block,mrmopartech

Your block is from a '75 and newer. You can narrow it down by finding the date code on the right side or the code stamping on the top of the block on the right side between the coil bracket and the head. The first digit will be the year model, then the engine size. From what I've seen, the '75 and newer heads all used tappered seat 1/2" reach spark plugs and no plug tubes. It's interesting that you have a '69 exhaust manifold on it....

Impressive that you can spot a '69 manifold from the pics that I took. I have no clue, honestly, what it is.

I found out that three of my pushrods had popped off their rockers so I put them back on tonight and installed some spare old tapered seat spark plugs from my '77 Firebird and the car is now running pretty well!

See the loose rockers where my fingers are... Whoever assembled this was a moron. I am bummed that it is not an original slant 6 but that is also good because I won't feel bad about replacing it in the future.

5329391000_409bb3155f_z.jpg

Impressive that you can spot a '69 manifold from the pics that I took. I have no clue, honestly, what it is.

I found out that three of my pushrods had popped off their rockers so I put them back on tonight and installed some spare old tapered seat spark plugs from my '77 Firebird and the car is now running pretty well!

See the loose rockers where my fingers are... Whoever assembled this was a moron. I am bummed that it is not an original slant 6 but that is also good because I won't feel bad about replacing it in the future.

5329391000_409bb3155f_z.jpg
Make sure the push rods are still straight. The question is why they came off in the first place. A '69 slant 6 exhaust manifold is the only year with a heat tube that runs through it. The strap hanging down in the photo is the bracket that holds the tube. You'll want to replace that fuel filter with a metal one unless you want to have a flaming barbeque under your hood!

Make sure the push rods are still straight. The question is why they came off in the first place. A '69 slant 6 exhaust manifold is the only year with a heat tube that runs through it. The strap hanging down in the photo is the bracket that holds the tube. You'll want to replace that fuel filter with a metal one unless you want to have a flaming barbeque under your hood!

Yeah, the fuel filter (and other things like the starter, oil change, etc) are on the "need to do ASAP" list. I figured it would be nice to see if I need to pull the engine though before fixing all of the little things. :yawinkle:

Thanks for the info on the '69 manifold. Man you guys are good! 8) Seems like this engine was slapped together with someone's spare parts. The previous owners told me it was numbers matching. I don't care much for that stuff so it's ok that it's not but they obviously didn't know anything about the car. Or they were lying.

The push rods "looked" straight but you are right, I should check them. They are easy enough to remove so hopefully I can get to that this weekend. I really need to find out if it's the original bottom end before I worry that the '67-up spacer/adapter isn't on the back of the engine.

I'll probably move what I've learned in this thread over to my "restoration" project thread here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=127003

Thanks, guys! Learning more every day...

hey tnt, went through the same thing with my 72 dart. newer engine but did'nt know what year. mine was stamped 330-1 and found out later that mine is an 81 model, so i would say your's is probably an 84. later, dave.

-
Back