Block out of square

-

Jason Wenger

Reaction score
So I've been working on getting my bell dialed in on a crate motor, 408 stroker out of a 360 block.

When I mount the bell, all bolts, properly torqued, stock pins, etc, it's out by 46 thousandths, pure vertical. The bell is high, relative to the crank, by 46 thousandths. I've dialed it repeatedly, remounted the mag base multiple times, in different places on the crank flange, verified that there is no wobble at all, the dial is properly affixed perpendicular. I get exactly the same each time.

Talked to the crate engine builder, they say it's impossible for the block to be that trashed, blame the bell. Talked to the bell manufacturer, they have the post-production numbers off the CNC measuring table for that serial number, says they measured it and it's true. Went around in circles for a long time.

Finally got an idea. Put my dial indicator on the crank face, and I dial indicated the back face of the block that the bell bolts to. Its out of square with the line of the crank. I zero the dial with the indicator tip at the edge of the flange that the bell bolts to, level with the crank. As I turn the crank and the dial works its way up to 12 o'clock at the top of the flange, I get a perfect, linear increase in error. The top of the block is 40 thousandths shy of being square. (i.e. the face of flange is displaced towards the front end of the engine) As I come back down the block on the other side, perfect linear recovery to zero. There's no wave or irregularity in the flange. There's no indication of hand grinding or any other weirdness on the flange. The best theory I have here is that when the block was originally machined, it was improperly clamped, perhaps with debris under the nose of the block, which resulted in the rear flange being milled out of square.

So, assuming I'm not insane, and the flange is out of square with the line of the crank -- Then as the bell goes on and I torque the bolts, the bell settles into place, rocked forward compared to where it should be, which in turn lifts the rear end of the bell, and displaces the centering ring of the tranny upwards. Since the bell is roughly a hemisphere, if the top of the bell moves forward by 40 thou as the bell is rocked forward, that means the back moves upward by roughly 40ish thou, which puts me in the ballpark of the error I see when I dial indicate it. -- But it's not a pure linear shift of the bell, instead it's an angular misalignment which manifests, when I dial, as a linear error. Yes?

The block was align honed, but it seems impossible that the crank itself could be out of square with the block. The crank is about 1.5x as long as the distance from the crank centerline to the flange, so that means if the error was in the crank relative to the block, There would also be a total of about 60 thou worth of difference from one end of the block to the other. That, in turn would make the piston height at top of stroke vs the heads have incredibly large variances from one end of the block to the other, and I also have a feeling that with so much angular error, everything would bind. The engine has been on the dyno and it makes 530 horses and 530 ft-lb. So it seems counterintutive to believe that -- if the problem was the alignment of the crank within the block, that it would perform so well. If there was that much difference, then since each cylinder would have very different compression, different amounts of squish, it should in turn lead to weird combustion differences from cylinder to cylinder that I would think would be very obvious and apparent. That leads me to the belief that the crank, journals, cylinders, head decks, etc, are all good relative to each other, and that the rear flange of the engine is the only likely problem. Measuring piston to head deck seems the best way to verify this, but I'd rather not have to take the heads completely off to verify this, and I can't see any easier path. Maybe testing compression for each cylinder and verifying they all match would be a good way to infer that the piston heights were all matched relative to the head decks and therefore in turn, that the crank was in fact true, relative to the block?

1. Does this logic all make sense? Is there something I'm missing here?

2. I'm thinking my best path to good.
I thought of attempting to get a half-moon shaped shim, the size of the mounting face of the bell, and machining that shim such that there's 40 thou worth of taper in it. I talked to a number of machine shops, each of them thought they had a way to do it, by placing a block underneath, shimming, and then milling the part to be machined flat, introducing the needed amount of wedge, but each, after several months, eventually returned to me saying they couldn't do the work, usually stating that they were unable to determine how to get it clamped sufficiently.
From there, my observation is that the bell itself has a scalloped shape compared to the block. Thus, there's only actual contact in the area around the mounting bolts. Between the bolts, the bell doesn't touch the flange at all. So my next thought it to get a set of precision shim washers, in a range of thicknesses, such that as a set, they make the amount of ramp I need to bring the mounting surface back to true. At that point, I believe my dial indication comes out at or near 0, the angular misalign is corrected, and I should be good to proceed.

Any other thoughts or advice from the community?

Last edited:
Could you have the .046" taper-milled off the lower section of the bellhousing? That should be easier to fixture in a CNC machine than a shim.

I wouldn't use shims at all. The thing that gives the mating surfaces all their strength is the fact that there is so much mating surface (area). If you shim it it will greatly decrease the amount of mating surface. The total stress put on the bell housing surface (which is the weakest surface) will be transferred to the area around the bolts as opposed to the whole mating surface. You can't machine the bell or you'll throw out the trans/drive-line alignment. I'm a machinist and don't see why a machine shop couldn't skim the rear mounting surface of the block. All they would have to do is get the rear face of the block "square" with the crank center line?? The only draw back would be that it "might" put the trans/convertor a little closer to the block??? But that small amount (.040") should be OK because of the torque convertor to pump clearance unless you have a standard trans then you might (doubtful) might have some input shaft interference??
It would be difficult to machine 1/2 moon shim, possible but difficult. If they align honed the engine it's possible that they did it wrong (causing your problem) unlikely but possible. You could easily check for "squareness" if you use a large "good quality" square to set against the bare mains and see is there's a difference between the top and bottom of the rear block surfaces?? Or if you set the back of the block standing on a flat surface (vertically) then set the square against the table to see if the mains are square to the table. Treblig

Last edited:
What machine shops are around CR that could true things up? We used to have Dorfmans and AEM in Waterloo but both have closed throughout the years. I wonder if Radar at R&J in Cedar Falls could do it? You still have Horn? The nice thing about correcting the block, everything That's bolted to it should be right. If you machine the bellhousing, it will always have to be used with that block. If you would switch to a scattershield or a automatic the problem starts all over again.

What machine shops are around CR that could true things up? We used to have Dorfmans and AEM in Waterloo but both have closed throughout the years. I wonder if Radar at R&J in Cedar Falls could do it? You still have Horn? The nice thing about correcting the block, everything That's bolted to it should be right. If you machine the bellhousing, it will always have to be used with that block. If you would switch to a scattershield or a automatic the problem starts all over again.
I can't see how he could machine the bell housing?? If the bell face gets cut it will no longer be square with the trans internal center line?? If the problem is with the block,...... cutting the bell will solve nothing. Treblig

Could you have the .046" taper-milled off the lower section of the bellhousing? That should be easier to fixture in a CNC machine than a shim.

I can't see how he could machine the bell housing?? If the bell face gets cut it will no longer be square with the trans internal center line?? If the problem is with the block,...... cutting the bell will solve nothing. Treblig

My point exactly.

The other reason you can't use shims is that the shims would have to be tapered in order to work properly even though it would still put excessive force around the bolt holes. Tapered shims of the exact perfect thickness and taper would be difficult you machine/get??? A shim that has sides that are parallel would greatly increase the chances of bell housing breakage because you would have one side "dead" veritical (the block face) and and one side at an angle (the bell face) while the shims would have parallel faces. This would not be a good scenario??? Treblig

I wouldn't use shims at all. The thing that gives the mating surfaces all their strength is the fact that there is so much mating surface (area). If you shim it it will greatly decrease the amount of mating surface. The total stress put on the bell housing surface (which is the weakest surface) will be transferred to the area around the bolts as opposed to the whole mating surface.

...But I already don't have much surface. This is a picture with the block plate on, the bell has the same outside shape as the block plate. As you can see, much of the surface of the bell has no contact with the block at all. Bell is here. Your thoughts were the reason I originally thought of building a half-moon shim the size of the face of the bell, to ensure there was contact everywhere. But as you can see from the photos, even if I did, most of the face has no contact. ... So either this is ok, or I have an incorrect bell?

You can't machine the bell or you'll throw out the trans/drive-line alignment.

But... It already is out of alignment, right? If the bell is built properly, it will ensure that the front face of the tranny is perfectly parallel to the rear face of the engine. Since the back face of the engine should be perpendicular to the crank, and the input shaft of the tranny should be perpendicular to the face of the tranny, then all this together means that the input shaft of the tranny and the engine crank should be perfectly in line.
But if the back face of the engine is out of square with respect to the crank, then putting a good bell on that out of square surface will in turn result that the tranny is out of line with the output of the motor. Machining 40 thou of wedge into the bell would realign it by making it equally but opposite out of square -- But, agreed, at that point, necessarily means that block and that bell are mated for life, which is not very elegant.

I agree that fixing the block is the ideal answer, but... I should have said up front. If it was just the block, great. But this is a crate engine, fully assembled, already dyno tuned, ready to drop in... Except for that out-of-square bell mounting flange. :( The idea of tearing it completely down to the raw block, machining, and reassembling the entire engine from scratch is... Well, it's certainly the most correct way of fixing it, but the amount of rework there is unappealing. :p

Too bad you don't know the history of the block. If it's .040 off I would imagine there was an issue with whever was bolted to it last.

...But I already don't have much surface. This is a picture with the block plate on, the bell has the same outside shape as the block plate. As you can see, much of the surface of the bell has no contact with the block at all. Bell is here. Your thoughts were the reason I originally thought of building a half-moon shim the size of the face of the bell, to ensure there was contact everywhere. But as you can see from the photos, even if I did, most of the face has no contact. ... So either this is ok, or I have an incorrect bell?

But... It already is out of alignment, right? If the bell is built properly, it will ensure that the front face of the tranny is perfectly parallel to the rear face of the engine. Since the back face of the engine should be perpendicular to the crank, and the input shaft of the tranny should be perpendicular to the face of the tranny, then all this together means that the input shaft of the tranny and the engine crank should be perfectly in line.
But if the back face of the engine is out of square with respect to the crank, then putting a good bell on that out of square surface will in turn result that the tranny is out of line with the output of the motor. Machining 40 thou of wedge into the bell would realign it by making it equally but opposite out of square -- But, agreed, at that point, necessarily means that block and that bell are mated for life, which is not very elegant.

I agree that fixing the block is the ideal answer, but... I should have said up front. If it was just the block, great. But this is a crate engine, fully assembled, already dyno tuned, ready to drop in... Except for that out-of-square bell mounting flange. :( The idea of tearing it completely down to the raw block, machining, and reassembling the entire engine from scratch is... Well, it's certainly the most correct way of fixing it, but the amount of rework there is unappealing. :p

At one of the places I worked we had one of those huge Ditch Witch trenchers that the clutch went out on.
Upon disassembly I find a clutch disc with the entire outside eaten off and the center still looked new.
Block to trans mating surface was machined almost exactly like you found on yours.

We just sent the whole machine back because we couldn't find anyone that could straighten it up even if it was disassembled to the bare block.

Didn't realize that it was a completely assembled block. You could take your chances, you could also easily check the parallel surfaces of the bell. All you need is a flat surface and a good long scale. Lay the bell on one of the mating surfaces and use the scale to check for parallel. With a good scale (ruler) you should be able to easily read if there's more than .015" difference in height (at least I could). If the bell surfaces are parallel then you have a big decision to make?? Treblig

I'm not sure how any of this is your problem. Send it back to the builder. Get another one. No matter if they did it, or didn't catch it, it's not the consumer's issue.

I would believe the bellhousing is off due to the fact it is just stamped steel and not machined like the block is.

Others may not agree, but if it was mine, I'd machine the bellhousing to correct the problem. This would allow the centerline of the crank and the trans input shaft to be perfectly in line and true. Yes, the bellhousing and the motor would be paired for life, but that would be a better compromise than trying to disassemble, correct or return the crate motor. I would have to assume any significant engine disassembly would void any warranty as well... The fix is in the bellhousing.

Well being a crate motor I am sure it was line-bored, not having the boring bar perfectly horizonal with the block but instead hone with an slight angle would cause this problem. Removing the main bearing caps and using a micrometer and horseshoe style fixture, take your readings off the top of crank journals, this can tell you for sure. The picture is for reference only...…...

Line_Bore_Setting_Tool.jpg

i would bolt the flywheel on and attach the base of the dial indicator to it and measure the back bolting surface again. After that I would bolt on the bell and measure the surface the tranny mounts. The other thing you could do is to use a straight edge and measure between it and the flywheel in two places. It’s hard to believe that a production block could be off that much since both surfaces are probably machined on the same piece of equipment.

Well being a crate motor I am sure it was line-bored, not having the boring bar perfectly horizonal with the block but instead hone with an slight angle would cause this problem. Removing the main bearing caps and using a micrometer and horseshoe style fixture, take your readings off the top of crank journals, this can tell you for sure. The picture is for reference only...…...

View attachment 1715267585
You posted this before I could post mine but this is possible for sure.

I'd say the block was positioned wrong when they went to machine the main bore. As the first phase of the rebuild. Then the rest of the work that's indexed off the crank centerline (and the front of the block) was done off that screw up. You could fix the block simply enough. Or cut the bell simply enough. Or tell them they need to fix it. I'd tell them they need to get you another engine, or another block and transfer the parts.

Chuck it up in Storm Vulcan and mill the bellhousing square. .046" ain't squat. You'll never know it. Fixed in 20 minutes.

Maybe I missed this OP.... did you put the dial indicator on the back of the block and check the crank flange for runout? Or re-position the dial indicator 90* on the crank flange and run the test again, as verification that it is not the crank flange that is off of the crank axis? It is just not 100% clear that this has been done.

That was a novel, well done on checking it all.
Like was said, they indexed the main bore wrong and decked it off of that screw up.

Now get some sheet metal .046 thick and cut a arch 12" long x 3/8 tall out of it with slots to slip over bolts spaced correctly and just bolt it together loosely..and the drop the arch onto the bolts.

That is... if you cant get them make it right.

Last edited:

Exactly, if the problem is in the block machining, then you have to fix the block...

Altering the bell housing to accommodate the block will just throw off other things...

On the block line that I worked on, they had cast datums inside the outer cup plugs that our details would use to find the center of the casting, then we would machine datum holes on the oil pan surface... After that the machined datum holes were used for locating the block for all other details... Machining is more accurate than castings as there is more variation in castings that machining..

The first thing that we checked when something was off was the cast datums to the machine datum holes to make sure that they were correct... You should figure out where the machine datum holes are and measure from them to find if/where the problem is...

Last edited:
From there, my observation is that the bell itself has a scalloped shape compared to the block. Thus, there's only actual contact in the area around the mounting bolts. Between the bolts, the bell doesn't touch the flange at all. So my next thought it to get a set of precision shim washers, in a range of thicknesses, such that as a set, they make the amount of ramp I need to bring the mounting surface back to true. At that point, I believe my dial indication comes out at or near 0, the angular misalign is corrected, and I should be good to proceed.
If your bell housing indeed does not contact the block except at the holes, then I can't see any reason to not use hardened shims/washers. You might want something to seal it up to keep dirt out.

Is this a non-stock bell housing? Sounds like it if you talked to the bell mfr.

I understand the concern on the pistons being at different heights. No way to know without somehow verifying. If the crate mfr did not catch the initial problem in the crank line, then I sure would not count on them to make sure things were decked in a way to make it even. You mention a dyno test? WHOSE dyno? The crate mfr? If so, how good is that?

At this point, I'd check couple of combustion volumes. Maybe turn the engine on the stand so that the plug holes are straight up on one side set the front cylinder precisely at TDC on overlap, and use a burrette with an appropriate oil to measure the combustion volume. The check at the back cylinder on the same in the same fashion. If the crank was inclined as much as you think, you are going to see a lot of CC's difference, like 5 to 10 cc's depending the head chambers, piston tops, etc.

Or just pull the heads. It sounds like you have had this engine for a while.

The crate mfr's reactions reminds me of a decking problem here a couple of years ago. The local shop jobbed it to a small machinist, who decked the block with an uneven slope on each side. Went to discuss it and the attitude was crap.... refused to look at my measurements at first, and almost ended up as a fist-fight LOL. After about 40 minutes, he slipped up while showing how he had lined something up.... voila, there was the problem. He saw it as soon as it did.....

The crate mfr doesn't know how good or bad any customer is at measuring and knowing what is what, and probably have plenty of cases where things ARE right in the engine. So you may have to stick by your guns with the crate mfr if you want them to fix it.

-
Back