block questions

-

sammie

Reaction score
A friend of mine is at my garage putting a 440 in his Roadrunner today.We took his good running 383 out of it and hes giving it to me .I was happy to see that the driverside block has the holes already for the front engine mount.My question is .did some b body blocks come with them from the factory?meaning the holes already in the block!This is a 2468130 block dated 12/19/69 rm23h9c198514.. what is the block number for a 69 A body 383?

A friend of mine is at my garage putting a 440 in his Roadrunner today.We took his good running 383 out of it and hes giving it to me .I was happy to see that the driverside block has the holes already for the front engine mount.My question is .did some b body blocks come with them from the factory?meaning the holes already in the block!This is a 2468130 block dated 12/19/69 rm23h9c198514.. what is the block number for a 69 A body 383?

With a casting date of 12/19/69, that should be a '70 model year engine. Casting number 2468130 is 383 from 1959-1971...I can find no specific cast # for an A-Body. Check the pan rail for the VIN...probably not the same as the car.

Sounds like it may be an A body specific block. I believe they had different type mounting bosses. A picture would help.

It's not uncommon for those bosses to be there on the 68 and later blocks and since this appears to be a 70 motor it wouldn't be specifically for an A-body. I actually have a latter 440 block that has those same bosses drilled & tapped.

What exactly are they for? I know the C body has some strange mounts for some years.

Rob...that's how the mount system on a BB A-Body works...

65c-6769abosses.jpg
c65bl%20installed.jpg

Yeah. I thought that was right. There are some C bodies that wrap around like that too. I've seen some. Coolness. Thanks for the pic.

It's not uncommon for those bosses to be there on the 68 and later blocks and since this appears to be a 70 motor it wouldn't be specifically for an A-body. I actually have a latter 440 block that has those same bosses drilled & tapped.

After looking closer at the date it says 12/19/68 .My friend read me the numbers and I just double checked it.He was wrong it is an 8 at the end.I guess its a 69 block? The vin is the other number I mentioned RM23H9C 198514 I believe that's a 69 RR motor ? He has a 70 RR! Thanks for all reply guys!

I just googled mopar decode vin numbers.
The motor I just got from him is out of a 69 b body an it states the motor is a
383ci v8 4bbl HP [B motor]
Then I entered my vin and it read back the same thing as far as the motor goes
It said
383ci v8 4bbl HP [b motor]
Does that mean A bodys didn't have there own code? I guess that would explain why we can't find info on A body 383 block casting numbers??

FWIW
I have a 69 bb 383 fastback barracuda

I just googled mopar decode vin numbers.
The motor I just got from him is out of a 69 b body an it states the motor is a
383ci v8 4bbl HP [B motor]
Then I entered my vin and it read back the same thing as far as the motor goes
It said
383ci v8 4bbl HP [b motor]
Does that mean A bodys didn't have there own code? I guess that would explain why we can't find info on A body 383 block casting numbers??

FWIW
I have a 69 bb 383 fastback barracuda

The only way to tell if its a gennie 1969 A body block will be the VIN stamped on the block...should be "LS2_H9XXXXXX"...." for a Dart, and "BH2_H9XXXXX for a Barracuda, I believe. "H" is engine code for 383 in an A-Body.

This has been most enlightening.

Rob...that's how the mount system on a BB A-Body works...

65c-6769abosses.jpg
c65bl%20installed.jpg

I think these holes are hit and miss. I've seen them on 440, 400 and 383's. Also have seen the bosses there but not drilled and tapped? I have a '74 400 block(470") in my '69 using the stock BB k frame and mounts

The only way to tell if its a gennie 1969 A body block will be the VIN stamped on the block...should be "LS2_H9XXXXXX"...." for a Dart, and "BH2_H9XXXXX for a Barracuda, I believe. "H" is engine code for 383 in an A-Body.

That's pretty much the answer I was looking for. I don't understand why, when you run the cast number 2468130 it states B block and no mention of it being in an A body. Oh well not that important! Thanks Guys!

I have a 68 383hp block out of a RR it has the bosses but there not milled or drilled the 2 pre 67 440 blocks I have do not have the bosses. I have checked a few drilled blocks the holes are 1" deep I can`t remember the size

Attachments

• 868.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,646
Same here, the 75 model 400 block I built into a 470 has the bosses and they are machined, drilled and tapped.

Sorry know this is a few months old as I was looking for something else and came across this.

I am blown away that the guy just "gave away" his (most likely) number matching 383 engine from his 69 road runner? In doing so he devalued his car perhaps thousands of dollars. I would have mothballed that sucker away.
If he were a good friend I would check the vin you gave from the oil pan rail and check it against his cars vin they probably do match. That vin IS for a 69 383 RR ugh...

ok on to a-body 383 engines...
The machined and tapped holes are for power steering mounting. If it was from a power steering car they are drilled if not then maybe. The left rear motor mounting tab is not there for an a-body 383 block. The ear is very close to the steering box so it was removed. That is how you tell a real a-body 383 block. see pictures...
There is no special casting number a-body 383. I believe the mount was modified after the blocks casting. It is the only thing that makes sense to me. Why would they make a special mold for a limited production engine that they already make that has only one small external difference? It was probably milled off and shot

Attachments

• 65c-6769abosses.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,604
  • a-body 383 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,568
  • a-body 484 2.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 2,591
The Bosses seem to be haphazzard as you can find them on older C bodies, mounting bracket is the same as an A body, regular cars and even boat blocks. Having a 68 383 Barracuda, I used to look for them. After I bought a 70 Police car for the 440, No bosses! Found a 383 with bosses from a Newport. Did a cheap throw together engine, drilled and tapped the bosses and it has been in the Barracuda for 30 years. I also have a 440 block from a boat with the bosses a friend found for me. The original engine is on a dolly, ballanced and blueprinted, Waiting until the body is done again.

-
Back