Body panel assembly manual.. does it exist?

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
I'm looking for a manual or drawings that show how all the body panels and parts join.. does anything like this exist? Which panels or parts go under another, etc.

I'm looking for a manual or drawings that show how all the body panels and parts join.. does anything like this exist? Which panels or parts go under another, etc.
There are probably manuals that show individual parts, but not how they attach. If you're planning to remove body panels, take photos and make notes
as to how they were attached. Replacement panels should have flanges that will correspond to how they are joined. I parted out a 62 Dart that somebody
had put on new 1/4 panels at some point. The rear body panel over lapped on one side and was underneath on the other side. I don't know which was
correct.

For what exactly?
What I'm interested in at this point is a-pillar inner-outer panels, and where they join to the cowl and roof pillar. Later it'll be floor and rockers. Yeah, working on a Wisconsin rust bucket '69 notch.
Just wondering if there's any kind of body manual that show how the various panels/parts go together.
I know it's easy enough to figure out sanding or grinding things down to see, but the car isn't really accessible right now. Just be nice to figure out a plan of what order I need to do things in.

What I'm interested in at this point is a-pillar inner-outer panels, and where they join to the cowl and roof pillar. Later it'll be floor and rockers. Yeah, working on a Wisconsin rust bucket '69 notch.
Just wondering if there's any kind of body manual that show how the various panels/parts go together.
I know it's easy enough to figure out sanding or grinding things down to see, but the car isn't really accessible right now. Just be nice to figure out a plan of what order I need to do things in.

See if you can find some YouTube videos of the desired work you are looking at doing.

Just type in the right search words in the youtube search window like:

72 Dodge Dart replace floor.

There is a leaded area that covers the cowl ends and A pillar area. You'll need to melt out the lead to see how they are joined. Get an AMD catalog,
it sounds like you're going to need a lot of parts.

There are probably manuals that show individual parts, but not how they attach. If you're planning to remove body panels, take photos and make notes
as to how they were attached. Replacement panels should have flanges that will correspond to how they are joined. I parted out a 62 Dart that somebody
had put on new 1/4 panels at some point. The rear body panel over lapped on one side and was underneath on the other side. I don't know which was
correct.

Lee I was just thinking about you. You probably know more about this than anybody, and could help LOTS of us here if you would post some photos of such. As it happens, I have a 73 Scamp that will likely need a new roof skin, as well as the rear deck panel. "I have no idea."

There is a leaded area that covers the cowl ends and A pillar area. You'll need to melt out the lead to see how they are joined. Get an AMD catalog,

I have an a pillar assembly and rockers for it from a member on here. I was wondering if there was lead in that joint, thanks!
Will a propane torch get hot enough to melt that out? I guess I'd have to be careful not to warp stuff. I'm not sure if I'm going to replace the whole pillar in one piece or cut out the bad parts on this to piece in.
Goes without saying, I have no idea WTF I'm doing, lol.. but learning here :)

IMGP7179_res.jpg

I used a small MAP torch to melt the lead on mine. Not sure if lead should be put back in that area or if there are other options. Haven’t got to that part yet.

When melting the lead - wear a respirator, and keep the young'uns away. I brush the last bits out with a hand wire brush, wire cup throws lead too far.

Are you going to use the rockers as patch panels? Or try to weld that back together? I would recommend buying new rocker outers from AMD and replace the entire length if its shot. You probably want to brace the car when removing and replacing this hinge piece so it doesnt move.

Just my 2 cents:

If you are working an area with lead and don’t want to warp it- full on flame is bad.
You don’t need as much heat as you may think to cut out the lead.
The old timers used a black flame on an Oxy act torch or heated a block of steel on a steel rod/handle (like the tool you see lead being added with) anyhow they heat the block end cherry and move the lead around with that and wire brush the loose lead off with that. Flame can be 1300 degrees where the steel is say 500 degree and it take a little more work but slows or stops warpage all together. If you don’t have a tool like that you can make one from a block of steel say 1”x 1” x 3” long grind a chisel like edge on the short end. Weld the other short end to a 3/8” diameter rod. Kinda like a arrow looking device. Once done, heat the whole block cherry red and being very careful run the lead till it’s loose and wire brush off the joint. Keep it moving and you will need to keep reheating the block. It’s messy but works. Good luck!
Syleng1

I think gene winfield has done some videos on leading.

Thanks all for the input!
I'm getting off track a little from my post into the specifics of the rockers and pillar.
I did find this looking around this morning:
1969 Mopar Car Body & Chassis Parts Book
Does anyone have one of these? Not looking for a copy or anything, just wondering if it has exploded body panel views.

Well I just ordered one^^ There has been several supposed "Mopar Gurus" for YEARS now holding on to these telling us how secret and unavailable they are, at the same time telling us "we should have one."

When melting the lead - wear a respirator, and keep the young'uns away. I brush the last bits out with a hand wire brush, wire cup throws lead too far.
---Melt lead below 900F. Lead safely melts at 621F. Dangerous fumes are released at 900F. --- both propane and MAPP will get much too hot so just heat it enough to get the lead to shine, then scrape off with a wooden tool. You can even use the high setting on a heat gun. It doesnt take alot to smelt lead.

Well I just ordered one^^ There has been several supposed "Mopar Gurus" for YEARS now holding on to these telling us how secret and unavailable they are, at the same time telling us "we should have one."
Oh heck yeah! I’m ordering one pronto.
As a novice in the middle of body work repair it sounds like exactly what I need.

-
Back