Bolt in frame connectors

-
Yeah, welding takes some skill. MIG welding even take some skill. It's not difficult to learn, but if you've never done it, there is a learning curve to get it right.

Welding is as easy as using a glue gun?! Yeah no, sorry. Total BS. Maybe you're fortunate enough to have some natural skill there, but that statement right there tells me you don't know much about welding at all. Welding on these cars isn't necessarily the most difficult welding there is and you can get to a place where you can do some of these modifications yourself at home with an inexpensive welder, but you're dramatically oversimplifying the process.

I don't completely disagree with what you're saying, people can do a lot of work on these cars themselves if they're willing to put in the time and that CAN save some money. But oversimplifying the skills, time, and equipment needed doesn't help anyone.

Sure, people run out of money thinking they have to buy all the fancy expensive stuff marketed for these cars. But I've also seen people get in WAY over their heads trying to do things themselves when they don't have the skills or equipment to be successful. And typically, its MUCH worse financially when you do the latter. Buy a bunch of parts and run out of money and you still have a fairly complete car and a bunch of parts to sell. Tear the whole thing down yourself and get halfway through some metal replacement before you realize everything is crooked and you've got a paperweight when it comes to unload your project. Then you either pay out the nose for someone with the skills to go back and fix your work, or let it go for pennies.

I think people should do more of their own work. I do all of mine, and I do a decent amount of fabrication too. But that doesn't mean that's the right choice for everyone. I have thousands of dollars of tools and decades of experience working on cars. You can do your own work and find it easy, that's great. But not everyone can do that, so be realistic. Encouraging people to do their own work is one thing, berating and belittling people for buying parts to make their project go a little smoother isn't cool.
LOL it seems like we're both kind of on the same page here but looking for the top answer or something I guess? Well I 100% agree with you that this is not a skill for everyone to try but again as you suggest I am not suggesting that someone completely tears their car apart and get halfway done and try and figure out what happened! And I am not suggesting someone buys hundreds of dollars worth of material or parts. At the very very worst someone could end up with a new welder grinder helmet extension cord and a can of spray paint to play with and be out the $30 and steel. These are the simple welding jobs that lead people to the bigger ones. I can only imagine with the roll of wire you get with that welder and the spare little bit of metal that you'll get left over from the pieces that you have cut you could do a little welding and get a feel for it. Again I was suggesting watching plenty of YouTube videos ahead of time. And also like you said this isn't for everybody. and also I'm not meaning to belittle anybody, just challenge peoples thinking and get them out of there box.

And another thing that's what this forums for people here with lots of experience to guide less experienced people through these harder jobs. It's happened many of times here for me where I didn't know what I was doing going into it but all I had to do was get on here and ask some questions and off I went. Like triple-r showing me that trick to make the 273 rockers work with the aftermarket lock Adjusters, I could go on and on and on actually but you guys get the point..

Why is this even a debate?

Some of us have the skills/tools/experience/time/space to make our own. Some of us have competing obligations for all of those things and it's worth it to spend the extra cash and just be done with it.

Why is this even a debate?

Some of us have the skills/tools/experience/time/space to make our own. Some of us have competing obligations for all of those things and it's worth it to spend the extra cash and just be done with it.
Exactly why is this even a debate? I mean there's a sucker born every minute!

Exactly why is this even a debate? I mean there's a sucker born every minute!

Come on, man. We're gathered here around the subject of half-century old econo-cars. Every penny we spend on these cars puts us in "sucker" territory by the standards. of most people. :)

If we're going to start judging how other people value their time and how other people spend their money...we're going to have a very rough time.

Come on, man. We're gathered here around the subject of half-century old econo-cars. Every penny we spend on these cars puts us in "sucker" territory by the standards. of most people. :)

If we're going to start judging how other people value their time and how other people spend their money...we're going to have a very rough time.
First things first I just said that to ruffle your feathers and obviously it did LOL you must be one of the people that purchased one!? LOL
It's funny how you coveted most people's standards? LOL Okay?
And judging people on how they value their time? I'm under no impression that anybody's time is more valuable than anybody else's. And I was giving a quick demonstration on how within 3 hours you can have them in and done with a crapload of useful tools left over. When someone makes the decision to buy a set of those today, do they just by the first set they see? NO! Or do they sit on their couch on their phone and search through all the different brands and read all the different write ups on them then maybe come on the Forum and ask a question which ones people are liking the most? And by that time you could have already have them in and done. I know this because I do order parts myself and I know how back and forth I go over the things that I order especially when they're expensive and it takes a lot of time and research.
And I'll still stand by what I said. Anybody who researches 4 hours and finally come to the conclusion that this is a part that they want to buy and then end up cutting bending drilling welding and all the other stuff you have to do with just two straight pieces of metal anyways? SUCKER!

First things first I just said that to ruffle your feathers and obviously it did LOL you must be one of the people that purchased one!? LOL
It's funny how you coveted most people's standards? LOL Okay?
And judging people on how they value their time? I'm under no impression that anybody's time is more valuable than anybody else's. And I was giving a quick demonstration on how within 3 hours you can have them in and done with a crapload of useful tools left over. When someone makes the decision to buy a set of those today, do they just by the first set they see? NO! Or do they sit on their couch on their phone and search through all the different brands and read all the different write ups on them then maybe come on the Forum and ask a question which ones people are liking the most? And by that time you could have already have them in and done. I know this because I do order parts myself and I know how back and forth I go over the things that I order especially when they're expensive and it takes a lot of time and research.
And I'll still stand by what I said. Anybody who researches 4 hours and finally come to the conclusion that this is a part that they want to buy and then end up cutting bending drilling welding and all the other stuff you have to do with just two straight pieces of metal anyways? SUCKER!

You’re just being jerk now.

Most people with limited to average fabrication and welding skills couldn’t fabricate a set of frame connectors for the first time in 3 hours or less. And it doesn’t take 4 hours to “research” frame connectors.

So, you’re good with metal and lousy with computers. Not everyone shares those abilities or limitations.

You’re just being jerk now.

Most people with limited to average fabrication and welding skills couldn’t fabricate a set of frame connectors for the first time in 3 hours or less. And it doesn’t take 4 hours to “research” frame connectors.

So, you’re good with metal and lousy with computers. Not everyone shares those abilities or limitations.
The point is there is nothing to fabricate! It's just a straight piece of metal that's welded into place. And it's nice to hear that you are a fast researcher.
I guess I was being a jerk by calling you a sucker or everyone who bought one of these a sucker but I can't think of what to call someone who buys a piece of metal that they still have to fabricate on they still have to drill holes Bend and weld! Why in the hell would someone buy a piece of metal for almost $200 and then have to drill it bend it and cut it and weld it to make it work? You're acting as if someone is not going to jack up their car they are not going to drill holes and they're not going to wrestle this thing whatsoever it's just going to basically jump out of the summit box and onto the bottom of their car? For someone to consider doing this they're going to have to have a Jack Jack Stands drills tape measures safety glasses. Etc etc. Know if you guys want to keep making yourselves feel warm and fuzzy about spending all that money on a couple pieces of straight metal then I'll keep being a jerk about it.

-
Back