Bolt in frame connectors

-
Rules only allow connectors to be connected at the front and rear.

==========This don`t sound right, why wouldn`t they want an additional safety factor ?! The bolt in bars are barely better than nothing , as far as torque twisting goes. Front to rear (flexing/buckling) they would help.
Factor of safety with respect to what?

Rules only allow connectors to be connected at the front and rear.
OK, about the rules, just don`t understand that.
I did 2' square tubing inside the rear frame as shown in a post above, fit in it perfect w/ a little messaging. The front I used plate as normal, bolted up to the trans. crossmember , while getting the rest done, then welded that too. They are cut in to the floor full length, and welded there too.
Very stiff, and look like they belong. I did use 3/4" foil faced foam board to build the floor level even w/ the top of the bars in the interior, before covering w/ new carpet. You cant tell they are there. My home made driveshaft loop is welded to the new frame rails. The roll bar plates/mounts are welded to the frame rails and the floor also. The rear seat bolts go thru the driveshaft loop , pretty strong set up that doesn`t weigh any more than the normal ways of doing it. The raised block 505" fastback only weighs 3273 w/ 1/2 tank of 91 lawnmower gas , w/o me in it.

OK, about the rules, just don`t understand that.
I did 2' square tubing inside the rear frame as shown in a post above, fit in it perfect w/ a little messaging. The front I used plate as normal, bolted up to the trans. crossmember , while getting the rest done, then welded that too. They are cut in to the floor full length, and welded there too.
Very stiff, and look like they belong. I did use 3/4" foil faced foam board to build the floor level even w/ the top of the bars in the interior, before covering w/ new carpet. You cant tell they are there. My home made driveshaft loop is welded to the new frame rails. The roll bar plates/mounts are welded to the frame rails and the floor also. The rear seat bolts go thru the driveshaft loop , pretty strong set up that doesn`t weigh any more than the normal ways of doing it. The raised block 505" fastback only weighs 3273 w/ 1/2 tank of 91 lawnmower gas , w/o me in it.
The class I am thinking of, does not want raced prepped car running in it. If you weld them in, like above, you are raced prepped.

IF one happens to be replacing rusty rocker panels, they could weld unistrut from the front torque boxes to the rear, then put the new rockers on over it, -out of sight out of mind. Or something like that.
I thought of that when I read somewhere that convertibles were beefed up behind the rockers.

Tim,

The MP ones, if the least expensive, work well and get the job done. Some of the stuff on the market is STUPID expensive for what it does. If you want to fab up something that provides stress relief from the other crap in the world, that's valuable too. My old "pick your parts, pay your money" statement.

Last set I built had about $15-20 in materials.

The biggest issue with the bolt in stuff is the holes will wallow out over time from stresses applied. If you can reinforce the rails where the connectos attach, that would be helpful. If you are alowed to weld them in, that's the best approach.

Rob

Last edited:
IF one happens to be replacing rusty rocker panels, they could weld unistrut from the front torque boxes to the rear, then put the new rockers on over it, -out of sight out of mind. Or something like that.
I thought of that when I read somewhere that convertibles were beefed up behind the rockers.
Yes, 'Verts have much thicker rocker's. An added part welded in there.
topic=2057.jpg

Last edited:
Heres mine. I got the metal as scrap per lb, I think it was 2 @ $10 bucks. Front was an endplate and a birdshit flux core weld. Its ID was same as OD of rear subframe so it slipped over rear frame rail. Pin it with a through-bolt and weld it up. Just make sure your frame is up on LEVEL jackstands and your doors shut properly prior to welding, as you may weld in a body sag that will make your door clearance close up. I tacked it a few places where I could to the pan but it was just a few places. Dont know why the flash blew out the welds but you can see them for sure! Wire brush the slag/rust afterwords and hit with any paint as it will flash rust.
Anaheim-Santa Ana-Garden Grove-20121022-00555.jpg
Anaheim-Santa Ana-Garden Grove-20121022-00553.jpg
Anaheim-Santa Ana-Garden Grove-20121022-00544.jpg

Tim,

The MP ones, if the least expensive, work well and get the job done. Some of the stuff on the market is STUPID expensive for what it does. If you want to fab up something that provides stress relief from the other crap in the world, that's valuable too. My old "pick your parts, pay your money" statement.

Last set I built had about $15-20 in materials.

The biggest issue with the bolt in stuff is the holes will wallow out over time from stresses applied. If you can reinforce the rails where the connectos attach, that would be helpful. If you are alowed to weld them in, that's the best approach.

Rob
I paid $1800 for 10ft. of 2x2 , .120 wall square tubing for mine .

Heres mine. I got the metal as scrap per lb, I think it was 2 @ $10 bucks. Front was an endplate and a birdshit flux core weld. Its ID was same as OD of rear subframe so it slipped over rear frame rail. Pin it with a through-bolt and weld it up. Just make sure your frame is up on LEVEL jackstands and your doors shut properly prior to welding, as you may weld in a body sag that will make your door clearance close up. I tacked it a few places where I could to the pan but it was just a few places. Dont know why the flash blew out the welds but you can see them for sure! Wire brush the slag/rust afterwords and hit with any paint as it will flash rust.
View attachment 1715158749 View attachment 1715158750 View attachment 1715158751
:thankyou::thumbsup:

I would have built mine, but you can only buy steel in 20' sticks around here.
Just easier to pick up the pre-fabbed ones, bolt them in and be done with it.
My time is worth more than, the hrs spent to fab them.

Tim, I welded the Mancini bolt in connectors (same as mp) in my 69 Dart conv today. You will have to trim the outside rear more than you want to get them to fit with the torque boxes. So I just drilled a bunch of 1/2 inch holes in what was left for plug welds. I had to move the parking brake cable up in the cross member. You will be instantly happy at the difference in the car.

Tim, I welded the Mancini bolt in connectors (same as mp) in my 69 Dart conv today. You will have to trim the outside rear more than you want to get them to fit with the torque boxes. So I just drilled a bunch of 1/2 inch holes in what was left for plug welds. I had to move the parking brake cable up in the cross member. You will be instantly happy at the difference in the car.
Thank you. Good info...

Totally.

And really, if you look at the set that I built compared to the MP bolt in ones, there isn't much difference. Biggest thing is that mine are 1.5"x 3" instead of 1"x 2" (I think). That does make a difference in cross sectional area, but the attachment points are still the same so it really it might not make that much of a difference.

MP's
View attachment 1715158132

Mine. You can see they're wider as there's no step to overlay the rear frame rails, 3" is what you need there. And I made the rear landing plates bigger, to fit all the way up to the flange on the frame rail to floor connection. The front landing plates wrapped under the crossmember as well, more area, more dimensions covered.
View attachment 1715158131
View attachment 1715158130
View attachment 1715158129

With the 1.5" tall tubing they sit right agains the floor under the footwells for the backseat, so, depending on rules they could be welded to a decent section of the floor which could help with torsional strength. You can also see my brake lines here are still in the stock location and pass over the top, so no issues passing the lines through the rails like on the weld to floor types like the US Cartool connectors.
View attachment 1715158133

Are you selling frame connectors?

See this is what I'm talking about you spend the day under the car cutting Drilling and Welding and it just doesn't make sense? I don't see the Big Time Savings in researching and ordering and waiting for two pieces of 4 ft long inch and 1/2 by 2 in metal stock powder coated. (Hopefully)?
My question is after all that measuring cutting Drilling welding (almost forgot re-touching up the paint after you weld) do you feel those two pieces of metal that you bought where a great deal and a Time Savings?
Or do you think if you were given two pieces of 4 foot metal stock that you could cut and not drill and weld those in faster the first time as they would be measured to the right length the first time by you?

Honestly to me it sounds like more work to retrofit those in there than just build them right the first time.

-
Back