Bought a car without a vin... Now what?

-

Scott's dart

Reaction score
This duster came up for sale for $650 here in Canada and I jumped on it, one problem though is that all he says it has is the fender tag and no vin on the dash. Any way to get it street legal without that? If not I wanted to use the bumpers for my dart anyway so it's not a huge loss. But if there is a way I'd like to make it something like the last picture.
received_10155606422990353.jpeg
received_10155606422185353.jpeg
Screenshot_20170909-184010.png

This duster came up for sale for $650 here in Canada and I jumped on it, one problem though is that all he says it has is the fender tag and no vin on the dash. Any way to get it street legal without that? If not I wanted to use the bumpers for my dart anyway so it's not a huge loss. But if there is a way I'd like to make it something like the last picture.View attachment 1715090859 View attachment 1715090860 View attachment 1715090861

Does it have a title?

Isn't the VIN in multiple places?
Like Door, or radiator support?

In Ohio it's illegal to sell a car without a VIN. You will need to check what you can do where you live. You probably turn it into a race only car.

I would think you need a rusting hulk with a title, vin, and a dash and swap that over, but then that may not be totally "legal" I guess it comes down to who complains. Whats the difference between swapping a dash with a different VIN and swapping an engine block with a different VIN? I don't know. I also remember the VIN on my Dart under the right side trunk weatherstrip stamped int othe sheet meteal. I had the car down to bare metal and it was readable.

I think your best bet would be to call the Ministry of transportation and see what your options are.

I would think you need a rusting hulk with a title, vin, and a dash and swap that over, but then that may not be totally "legal" I guess it comes down to who complains. Whats the difference between swapping a dash with a different VIN and swapping an engine block with a different VIN? I don't know. I also remember the VIN on my Dart under the right side trunk weatherstrip stamped int othe sheet meteal. I had the car down to bare metal and it was readable.

Yeah I'm on your side on this one. If you're trying to fake a rare car it's one thing but if you just want to enjoy it I don't see a problem. There is this huge moral debate on another thread here that ive was reading and some guys are real sticklers for the law...

Vin is on your fender tag, if it matches the VIN stamped on the chassis its self then the tag is correct for the shell. Getting a title is up to your local laws. Where I live you need a bill of sale and a signed off title to transfer or go through the process of contacting the last known owner via the VIN.

In the U.S. it's illegal to sell a car without a VIN. You will need to check what you can do where you live. You probably turn it into a race only car.

fixed that little typo there for ya.

Not sure how it is for our Canadian friend, but I have a suspicion he's about to get mounted by some royal police if he's not careful.

Put a "Wild man" motor in it and out run the mounties when they get behind you with the "Gumball machines" a blazin...

No title, just a bill of sale? Heck, I'll sell you my neighbors car...cheap! I bet they can look at the other 2 places and get your 'no Vin' written off.

If that rusting hulk was ever reported as stolen, had a bag full of tickets, used in the commission of a crime, hit and run, lien on it is what makes doing this illegal and puts you in the middle of it. You will lose the car and have a bunch of explaining to do. Not worth the risk.

You bought yourself a parts car!
Start parting it out and make some money!

Yeah I'm going with parts car! I'm gonna grab the bumpers off if it for my dart and whatever good bits I find and get rid of it as a parts car. 650 Canadian is like 400 American these days so it's not like I'm taking a big hit. And I don't need Johnny law hangin around breathing down my neck!

In the states (not all of them) you can apply for a replacement vin#. This is usually called a salvage title if I remember correctly. The first thing to do is check the body and see if the fender tag numbers match, it probably will. Then you will want to have the police run the numbers and make sure there are no legal issues with the car.

No title, just a bill of sale? Heck, I'll sell you my neighbors car...cheap! I bet they can look at the other 2 places and get your 'no Vin' written off.
Yeah it's messed up! But in Saskatchewan you just need a bill of sale if it's staying in the province!
You also don't need a safety inspection if the vehicle has had one in the last 15 years or something rediculous like that... But in Manitoba where I live every time the vehicle goes to a new owner it has to be safetied.

In the states (not all of them) you can apply for a replacement vin#. This is usually called a salvage title if I remember correctly. The first thing to do is check the body and see if the fender tag numbers match, it probably will. Then you will want to have the police run the numbers and make sure there are no legal issues with the car.

Alright thanks actually being helpful! I might have to try that! If there's too many hoops to jump through I'll probably end up just trying to wait for one I know is legitimate though.

Using the fender tag and these pictures I figured the full VIN number would be VL23C1B368385. Would that be correct?

This is the decoded fender tag.

VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

C0B: 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

368385: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EB5: Bright Blue Metallic Exterior Color
L1B7: Trim - Low, Unknown, Blue
FB7: Medium Blue Metallic Int. Door Frames
605: Build Date: June 05
C63850: Order number

EB5: Bright Blue Metallic Top Color
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
Y07: Build to Canada Specs
EN2: End of Sales Codes

Screenshot_20170912-173218.png
Screenshot_20170912-173500.png

Hey, scottsdart
I will take the body off your hands after you pick it apart.
Im in need of a rear end if you are willing to part with it. Manitoba here.

Hey, scottsdart
I will take the body off your hands after you pick it apart.
Im in need of a rear end if you are willing to part with it. Manitoba here.
That sounds good to me! I'm about an hour south of Winnipeg. I've been meaning to try and find some fabo members around Manitoba anyway! Lol I haven't picked up the car yet but I'll send you a message when I got her home and ready to get rid of it!

-
Back