Bought another one...... this ones a '85

-
I wonder if the points in the electronic ignition both ran after a ballast resistor?

Jadaharabi
I unplugged the voltage regulator and it read 16.2. Plugged that back in and I unplugged the field wire close to the hot wire on the alternator. meter fell to 13.6 so I took it for a ride and the battery didn't boil.

???????????

Does it bounce around at all when you turn lights on and off and stuff like that? Last time I took the duster out and seem to be overcharging but I would just click on like the fans or something and it would bug it back down and then get it back regulating a little better again or I could turn them off. I wonder if there's any kind of extremely high quality voltage regulator?

This is my buddy, Trent's, 4X4 RC with 440, auto. It was a border patrol truck from AZ (if I remember correctly). He says it has a huge gas tank (aftermarket?) for the long border patrols and some kind of solar charging system for the communications system in it.

BTW Trent is the man who painted the V21 style treatment to my Dart GT. Obviously, he's also done some work to his RC. Checkout the '73-'73 Road Runner hood scoop grafted on to the hood.

View attachment 1715251334

The RAM skull was a Halloween decoration (temporarily tie-strapped to the grille)

View attachment 1715251335
If your friend Trent ever wants to sell that beauty let me know.

haven't driven it far or often enough to know too much about it. What I do know is it would have the battery sizzling (boiling from overcharging) in one trip around the block, and the meter usually read 15.3. Since I unplugged the field wire, the meter now reads 13.6 and the battery doesn't sizzle.

*I might add, when a vehicle changes hands throughout the 34 years of it's life, and owners cut/splice, add and subtract to the wiring, it makes it tough.

haven't driven it far or often enough to know too much about it. What I do know is it would have the battery sizzling (boiling from overcharging) in one trip around the block, and the meter usually read 15.3. Since I unplugged the field wire, the meter now reads 13.6 and the battery doesn't sizzle.

*I might add, when a vehicle changes hands throughout the 34 years of it's life, and owners cut/splice, add and subtract to the wiring, it makes it tough.
If you turn on the headlights does it still read the same?

Of course trying another battery might help to? I'm sure if the battery has been boiled over too many times that could have some kind of effect.

11.7 with the headlights on and blower motor. Turned them all off and still 11.7. Shut the engine off and restarted it and it's around 13. LOL. I don't think I'll worry about it much, I will just get a different engine wiring harness and install. Until then, it's not boiling the battery and been starting fine.

11.7 with the headlights on and blower motor. Turned them all off and still 11.7. Shut the engine off and restarted it and it's around 13. LOL. I don't think I'll worry about it much, I will just get a different engine wiring harness and install. Until then, it's not boiling the battery and been starting fine.
I know you're not installing
a new wiring harness because of a bad regulator?

I know you're not installing
a new wiring harness because of a bad regulator?
I've tried a new regulator, and a known working alternator, and a different battery. I want to replace the harness because I don't like the splicing, and all that whoever did to it.

I've tried a new regulator, and a known working alternator, and a different battery. I want to replace the harness because I don't like the splicing, and all that whoever did to it.
Maybe this will help.

20181130_150124.jpg

20181130_150010.jpg

20181130_134717.jpg

-
Back