brake idiot light will not go out

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
I just changed the brakes on my dart.
I did drums all the way around. I changed the master cylinder and bleed all the lines. I have full pressure to the lines yet my light on the dash will not go out. I checked the connection at the prop valve and its on and fine. Yet still nothing. I have messed with the sensor a little near the brake pedal and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sensor at the pedal ? must be the switch for rear brake lights you're refering to and not a factor. The switch on your park brake mechanism turns on the same "in dash" light

Any slim chance that your parking brake handle or pedal is partially applied.

That will also trigger the brake light.

I just changed the brakes on my dart.
I did drums all the way around. I changed the master cylinder and bleed all the lines. I have full pressure to the lines yet my light on the dash will not go out. I checked the connection at the prop valve and its on and fine. Yet still nothing. I have messed with the sensor a little near the brake pedal and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The wire going to the E-brake is a ground. Ground it out, The light comes on. Same with the prop valve. Ground the wire going to it, The light comes on.

Two things could be wrong. Ether you have a short in one of the lines and geting a false ground.

Or the prop valve could be senting a false ground signal to the light. (Even if the brakes a working right) The way to check that is to pull the wire out of the valve if the light goes out that is the probleme.

Have you tried bleeding the proportioning valve? I've had to do that to get the light off before, believe it or not!

Switch on parking brake works like a door light switch. Has to be all the way in to turn off light.

Problems in proportioning valve possible are defective switch and a stuck piston assembly. Supposedly, restoring the integrity of the brake system should allow the piston assembly to re-center. Before I would take anything apart for re-build, suggest someone apply pressure on the pedal while another administers a few love taps on the valve to try to free up the piston assembly. Use care, the valve assembly is soft metal. Too much tapping will turn it into junk.

-
Back