Brazilian Dodge Dart 76 (similar to 69 usa)

-
Where in Brazil are you located? I work along the coast down here currently in Vitoria ES... Been all up and down the east coast of Brazil and have only seen two old cars. I didnt know the year models differed so much from back home!!! I wonder what year model that cuda I saw in RIO was it looked to be a 69 from the road or what we call a 69 model.
Keep up the good work and keep posting pics.

Outrageous looking model in that pic........Outrageous !!

It seems the foreign models always have a certain "custom" flair that most of the US cars lacked in one way or another.......Still great in the US, but MAN........that car is OUTRAGEOUS in styling!!

hi chuckwagon2004

I'm from Belo Horizonte, in Minas Gerais state. In fact there aren't old cars in the street. They still rare. But in Rio and Sao Paulo there is a greater number than in others cities.
Allmost all old vehicles are small block (318 mopars and 302 ford).

You may see a lot of "Opala" ... a GM national car, based in an Opel model. It was fabricated from 1968 until 1992. But allmost all are 4 cilinders and some of them are 6 inline cilinders.

When you will came back to Brazil?

Hi pastortom1

I love US models... but I think Brazilian (and some other guys) did a nice work because they only worked in an A-Body. We do not have B bodies (or any other big car from chyrsler in our gold car ages).

I think that the tail up ther rear quarter of our Chargers are great.. but I really love US dart gt and 69 chargers. I'll try to make my car look like a gt. I do have the hood (but not the hood inserts), and I also have front grille...

thanks for your comments..
Alex

I'm in Brazil now and heading back to the US tomorrow hopefully. Keep working hard on your car, most people would get discouraged because they cant find replacement parts.

of course I will work hard on my dart.
yesterday I left my seats on a worker (dont know how to speel in english). He will make a new cover. I painted the seats structure with hammerit paint.
tomorrou I will go to a junkyard here. Hope to find good parts.
merry christmas..
ps: follow a photo of the junkyard I took a couple months ago.

Resize of DSC09162.JPG

Resize of DSC09492.JPG

that dart is too cool they look better then ours almost LOL very very very cool i like the grill

I agree. South-American MoPars are really cool. My favorite is the Dodge Polara R/T, which was sold in Argentina. (They also sold the Polara and DODGE GTX!) The Brazilian Charger's and Dart's are really cool too.

One day I want to import a Polara R/T. Doubt it will ever happen though.

Cool car!!8) Good luck with the resto.

Went to the junkyard yesterday. Found some good stuff. Bought cluster, front door interior cover, two wheels, some trims and some more stuff...

follow some photos (try to search the f* spider that bite me)

Resize of DSC02069.JPG

Resize of DSC02075.JPG

Resize of DSC02087.JPG

Resize of DSC02090.JPG

Resize of DSC02092.JPG

Resize of DSC02093.JPG

Resize of DSC02100.JPG

instruments cluster I found in junkyard.
Note that our A bodies have differente gauges. I think we use barracuda's gauge

Resize of DSC02193.JPG

Resize of DSC02197.JPG

Resize of DSC02199.JPG

last week I disassembled front seats and painted them.
Now, both, front and rear seat are in a shop to get new cover.

Resize of DSC02045.JPG

Resize of DSC02050.JPG

Resize of DSC02058.JPG

I`m sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you continue the work you`ve started, it looks like you`re doing a very good and comprehensive job. I like the style of the Brazilian Dodges too. Here`s some more:

Dart Charger 1.jpg

Dart Charger 2.jpg

Dart Charger 3.jpg

Dart Charger 4.jpg

Dart Charger 5.jpg

Dart Charger 6.jpg

Dart Charger 7.jpg

Dodge Charger 8.jpg

Alex, I have to say that I'm impressed with the working of the floor pans. It looks like you're making some great progress.

Alex, keep up the great work.

I love the grills on those cars.

It amazes me....when you can't just pick up the phone, order a part and wait for it to be delivered,.....

what you can do, when you want to rebuild a car!

Amazing.

The parking garage, the engine in the back of a car....working with what you have!!

Thanks for your comments ramenth
I'm working hard on my thesis, so I can not apply too much time in my car.
I think that I will have more spare time in Feb. 2010.
I just work in my car when I'm resting.. for example, 2 times a time, 15 or 30 minutes.
Now, since last Friday, I'm on "vacation". I came to dady's home. Work less at night or during the day, but I get time to visit junkyards and my friends ;)

Hi David273cars
thanks for your comments. They encourage me.
I'll take some pictures of our Brazilian charger with the grill you enjoy.
I'm going to try to make a chronological line with all our models. They all belongs to the same body (A body family). They have some minor differences between among them. For example, our Charge is nothing more than a A body dart with a tail and special grill. All of them uses 318 engine. It is rare to find a Brazilian dodge with auto transmission (in the old ages, Brazilian did not like auto trans).

Hi guys
I have to answer some questions about the paint I used in may seat frames.
The Hammerite product is a paint that we can apply directly in the sheet metal. It converts rust. But I cleaned all rust before paint the seat frames.

I saw in a off-road forum and in a European Classic cars forum that this product is very good. So I decided to to my own test. I approved at first instance.

Covers metal very well, seems to be very resistance and it is very easy to apply.

I'll use it in the car bottom and inner panels (for example, door panels). But not for now. I have a lot of work before painting issues.

Take a look at hammerite can.
Ham_Brilhante.jpg

Tell me about it! Some work huh!?!

Thanks for your comments ramenth
I'm working hard on my thesis, so I can not apply too much time in my car.
I think that I will have more spare time in Feb. 2010.
I just work in my car when I'm resting.. for example, 2 times a time, 15 or 30 minutes.
Now, since last Friday, I'm on "vacation". I came to dady's home. Work less at night or during the day, but I get time to visit junkyards and my friends ;)

As someone who's had to hand fabricate a lot of sheetmetal over the years I can tell you that everytime I see someone do it without the fancy tools, being innovative enough with what they have on hand, and have it come out right always gets my attention. You may or may not appreciate this, Alex, but with the TV shows we have here in the US on building cars too many seem to get it in their heads that you can only do it by investing thousands of dollars in equipment first. You and guys like you just proved 'em wrong.

As I'm on vacation, I will post some old pictures...

I used to have a 4 door dart. It is a 79 brazilian dart luxo. 3 speed column shifter and 318 la engine. Pretty simple but pretty good.
I sold it because I did not have place (and money) for 2 darts. Unfortunately I just have 1 parking garage.
I decided to restore my 2 door because I love 2 doors.

Resize of DodgeAlex.jpg

Resize of IMG_3506.JPG

When I was using my 79 4 door, I noticed that clock illumination was pretty bad.
I decided to rebuild my panel (don't know the real name in English).

First I discarded all bulb lights and used Leds. Leds aren't hot and thus, they do not make damage to the plastic.

Second, they illuminates much better than bulbs. I used 3 leds each hole.

Notes:
I sanded leds so the lights spread more. We may also cut the top of the led.
I washed all cluster panel using kitchen soap. Works nice.
Finally, I covered the back of the cluster box using a chromed adhesive. I think this helps the light goes to the clock instrument.

Resize of DSC06364.JPG

Resize of DSC06368.JPG

Resize of DSC06378.JPG

Resize of DSC06401.JPG

I also printed dash signals (light signal and window washer).
I traded all acrylic from instrument to a glass one that I made. Glasses are much better than acrylic (much more clear).
The only problem is that clock instrument has a pin used to adjust it. I made a jig and bought a proper glass drill. I think that I broke 3 glasses until I finally made a good one.

The 79 Brazilian model was optionally equipped with a stereo tape. I was from a local industry called MotoRadio. I didn't have the original stereo but I bought the same model from the MotoRadio. I printed "Chrysler" logo and glued at the stereo.. this way, I custom made my original Brazilian Chrysler tape stereo.

Resize of DSC06440.JPG

Resize of DSC06441.JPG

Resize of DSC06442.JPG

Resize of DSC06443.JPG

Resize of DSC06456.JPG

Resize of DSC06462.JPG

Well... not so easy as I intend to present, but I encourage everyone to do.

All Brazilian 79 models have a wood adhesive over the panel. Since I was a child I dreamed with a wood panel in my car. So I decided to buy a wood sheet and cut it. First I draw in Corel draw a panel masked, tested if it fits and them, I finally cut it (past sentence...) using a blade.

I painted it with a thin layer of varnish and tried to polish.

I also repaired the hole in the original stereo place. I welded plastic pieces. It is pretty easy to do. Use a scrap plastic piece, heat it with a weld gun. To enforce it I made a layer using epoxy glue plus fiber.

Resize of DSC06491.JPG

Resize of DSC06520.JPG

Resize of DSC06581.JPG

Resize of DSC08381.JPG

Resize of DSC09019.JPG

Resize of DSC09029.JPG

Resize of DSC09087.JPG

-
Back