Broken parts thread.

-
That head gasket looks like CRAP....the lower side is cut at a funny angle, all the fire rings are distorted (but that might be from whatever happened during your mishap).....Am I close?

Look at those fire rings, then look at the combustion chamber shape. Those are not distorted.

Two inner pistons were installed wrong
Had piston to valve hit.

Look at those fire rings, then look at the combustion chamber shape. Those are not distorted.

Maybe its a combo of my small computer screen and the need for new glass :D.....say, that is a nice yellow Camaro in your sig....lol

Parts that have gone BOOM in my Daytona Iroc R/T
Hit 18lbs of boost and the Rev loc ceramic 4 puck came apart(fixed with a 6 puck ceramic clutch from turbo's unleashed)
And about 2 weeks ago the oil pressure dropped off as it hit boost and I shut it right down,pulled the oil pan to find the oil pump gear and intermediate shaft gear had a problem(looks as if the gear might have had a fracture by the chunck in the gear?)

Attachments

• 000_2561.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 712
  • 000_3954.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 678
  • 000_3955.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 673
A broken U=joint releases a lot of energy. The output shaft was bent about a 1/4 inch and had a banana shaped drive shaft...

Attachments

• trans2b.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 660
A broken U=joint releases a lot of energy. The output shaft was bent about a 1/4 inch and had a banana shaped drive shaft...

Ya got a pic of your driveshaft? How fast were you going when it happened?

was dana 60- 4.56

2nd pass, 540ci, new slicks

018-1.jpg

2hn5s1x.jpg

We called this one "The Big Bang" Pole-vaulted the car off the ground 3 feet. Destroyed the floor, exhaust and the 904 was in three pieces..

Goddamn...... Lost a drive shaft,in a Chevelle with slicks,once. After that Spicer/Lakewood u.joints only.All cars get a drive shaft loop now.

i'd say the u-joint strap/bolt broke first.

No the u-joint strap didn't break..........go back and look at the drive shaft, you'll see the yoke is torn out; also if the strap broke, why is the u-joint still in the yoke of the dif?

No matter what though.........it was a bad day.......

heres my slant six carnage,

Attachments

• DSCF8935.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 441
  • DSCF8934.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 444
was dana 60- 4.56

2nd pass, 540ci, new slicks

018-1.jpg

well you got me beat.lol here is a pic of my 8-3/4 on its 5th and last pass of the day.lol lets see 3520 pound dart, 600? hp 440 and a 8-3/4. what could go wrong.lol this was a brand new set of Richmond 4.10 gears. wow what a great thread. mopar65

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 005.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 444
Slightly tweaked piston ring and the usual debris found in the oil pan.

Attachments

• CAM00104.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 419
Had our 1st set of W5 heads cnc ported on a "group buy" deal..... and of course, I got the ones that got thin in the #3 intake port. After 50 passes on the new engine apart it came and we sent the head back to this "guru" who epoxied it and sent it back. 100 passes later the epoxy came out when my dad was in the shutdown after a pass. We sent the head to a guy in Iowa who has brought broken Brodix sprint car heads back from the dead. After trying and trying he gave up...... the material these heads were made out of were too poor of a casting to even weld. I now use it as a pen holder.

Great thread and i have a few for display, This what happens when you buy from some one and dont follow your gut and got them checked from your machinist ! Wise lesson grass hopper!! If you ask nicely i will tell you the vendor i got them from.

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3279.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3266.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0421.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0401.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 332
Great thread and i have a few for display, This what happens when you buy from some one and dont follow your gut and get them checked from your machinist ! Wise lesson grass hopper!! If you ask nicely i will tell you the vendor i got them from.

O.K., I will ask nicely ...(please....) And OUCH!

Last fall me and the Mrs. headed out to a cruise-in and about half way I noticed the car had a very slight vibration. Didn't seem very bad so I figured it tossed a wheel weight and kept driving. It was approx. 60 miles round trip to the cruise-in and back and by the time I got home the vibration had worsened, but still not to the point of being real alarming. When I pulled into the garage I popped the hood with the engine running and noticed the bottom pulley was rotating like an oval. shut it down, checked to see if it was the balancer. Nope. Crank seems loose???

Here's the pic of what I found wrong when I pulled the engine apart.

Mind you I drove this about 60 miles like this and as far as I could tell the only problem was a very slight vibration. Good thing I kept my right foot in check that night

Attachments

• DSC00069.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 291
Last fall me and the Mrs. headed out to a cruise-in and about half way I noticed the car had a very slight vibration. Didn't seem very bad so I figured it tossed a wheel weight and kept driving. It was approx. 60 miles round trip to the cruise-in and back and by the time I got home the vibration had worsened, but still not to the point of being real alarming. When I pulled into the garage I popped the hood with the engine running and noticed the bottom pulley was rotating like an oval. shut it down, checked to see if it was the balancer. Nope. Crank seems loose???

Here's the pic of what I found wrong when I pulled the engine apart.

Mind you I drove this about 60 miles like this and as far as I could tell the only problem was a very slight vibration. Good thing I kept my right foot in check that night

Ouch, Tracy. At least, you caught it. The worst I've seen: 350 Chev, losing the crank snout/balancer combination (cast crank). They welded the front snout( how, I don't want to know), and beat on it again. Lasted 20-30 minutes, in the dunes. Just, geez.

Ouch, Tracy. At least, you caught it. The worst I've seen: 350 Chev, losing the crank snout/balancer combination (cast crank). They welded the front snout( how, I don't want to know), and beat on it again. Lasted 20-30 minutes, in the dunes. Just, geez.

Yeah I'm sure glad it stayed together

LOL... I've seen guys do crazy stuff like that before too

-
Back