bULK HEAD

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
HI!I,M BUYING A 66 DART,THE PO TELLS ME HE Has to start the car by jumpING THE SOLENOID AND SAID IT,S THE"BULK HEAD" IS THIS PART THE BALLIST RESISTOR??OR ORANGE BOX?THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

I think he is talking about where all the wires run through the fire wall.:-k
I have seen the big black wire I think it is the biggest wire:-k melt down and lose connection.
I will see if I can get a picture of mine today:cheers:
if my camera will fire up.:angry7:
Has this car been converted to electronic, if not there is not an ORANGE BOX
and it could be just a bad starter SOLENOID relay.
Give me some time and I will look around and find the basic wiring on your 66
dart

I ran outside and got a picture of my 66 Plymouth bulk head and and lets look at it closely

mud man mike 059.jpg

Can you see the wire going to the top of the starter relay with a yellow fused link in it ? It is going to the bottom of the bulk head connection.
Most likely the fused link is shot, and easy fix and just use a volt tester
and find out if power is on both sides of it.
Sorry about the cheep picture.

When will you have the new dart home ?

Sounds more like it could be your ignition wire which is the small wire that bolts on. Have some one with a test light check it when you turn the ignition to the start position, the light should light up. The wire memike is talking about if I remember it goes to your gauge and if it goes bad you would not have any power to you ignition, I have fried that one in my 66 Dart and had to replace it to even start the car. I am sure some one will come along and explain this better than I can.. Good luck, hope oyu can get it going.

I had the same problem with my Valiant and it was the starter relay ground. The solder in the corner of the relay was cracked and sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. very baffling problem until it quit altogether because every time I would test for the problem it wasn't a problem at that moment.

Sounds more like it could be your ignition wire which is the small wire that bolts on. Have some one with a test light check it when you turn the ignition to the start position, the light should light up. The wire memike is talking about if I remember it goes to your gauge and if it goes bad you would not have any power to you ignition, I have fried that one in my 66 Dart and had to replace it to even start the car. I am sure some one will come along and explain this better than I can.. Good luck, hope oyu can get it going.

I believe you are right dartcuda. :cheers:
I will get my test light and find out witch wire sends a start signal on mine.
It should be the same as a 66 dart :read2:

Thanks for clearing this up for us bud :-D

Car hopefully arriving next week maybe Wed.-Friday.It, coming along way Alabama to Toronto,Canada=$$$$$

Make sure you buy a Factory Service Manual FSM not a Motor or Chiltons,
It will pay BIG dividends as you work on the car.
Frank

HI!I,M BUYING A 66 DART,THE PO TELLS ME HE Has to start the car by jumpING THE SOLENOID AND SAID IT,S THE"BULK HEAD" IS THIS PART THE BALLIST RESISTOR??OR ORANGE BOX?THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Need to know it the problem is "no crank/no start", or "does crank/no start".
If it does not crank, it could be the starter relay, the neutral safety switch, ign switch, or the wireing between these components, including the bulkhead connector.

-
Back