Bulkhead Disconnect Plug - Wire Change?

-

DragginSteel

Reaction score
Is there a way to remove the wire from the bulkhead disconnect plug without damaging the plug. Apparently I have different year wiring harnesses inside the dash than in the engine compartment. If I can pull the wires out and relocate them. This is on a 68 Dart. I have a wiring diagram and things just don't match up.

Sure. Both male and female have little "tongues" that latch into the plastic. Generally, a very small screwdriver. These are called "Packard 56" terminals Here:

5950x1b__83941.1423164709.380.500.jpg

The male end works a bit different. The odd looking "leg" is the latch, you must reach in and bend that a bit to release the terminal

929895_primary_225px.jpg

I believe I have mostly the female plugs, mine aren't quite as shiny as those. Thank you, I didn't want to go yanking them out of there and find out they weren't meant to come out.

No different, the same tool for both sides.

question on the main harness plug on firewall

If you need to replace a terminal, the female terminal shown above is sometimes called a Chrysler type terminal. It seems to be the same as a 'Packard 58' whereas Packard 56 has a flat tongue. For '67-68, all of the original ones I've seen so far are the type 67Dart273 shows. But repop harnesses sometimes have a mix.
Lost all power need help

If you have to replace any connectors be sure to use the correct tools!

also with the bulkhead connectors plastic being old there is a greater chance of braking the plastic, (Repos are available) so go slow and easy and use the thinnest removal tool you can fashion. A narrowed down feeler gauge would make a good tool.

Sure. Both male and female have little "tongues" that latch into the plastic. Generally, a very small screwdriver. These are called "Packard 56" terminals Here:

View attachment 1715386700

The male end works a bit different. The odd looking "leg" is the latch, you must reach in and bend that a bit to release the terminal

View attachment 1715386701
I switched the whole engine harness on my 68 dart with a harness from a 73 duster. Had to swap one wire. I need to replace the harness I used or buy a new one but can’t seem to find one with all the bulkhead connectors. Where can I get those at. Thank you.

-
Back