Burned out another Holley pump.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Tried the HP 150
As per summits tech guy despite My reservations.
He insisted not To run a return as it has a bypass built in so I set my non bypass reg to 6 psi and it worked great for a while until it died on me this weekend while pulling out of the driveway for a shakedown run after tweaking some things.

Anyways I'm thinking I need to revamp my fuel system and run a return to my cell (like I should have from the start).
I've been looking at the aero motive phantom (in tank) pumps with a return reg.
I'm hoping this will be the last fuel set up I will need.

The only thing I'm not
Looking forward to is drilling a hole in the top of the cell for the pump install although easy
Enough my problem is my
Cell sits inside the trunk and I will have to route lines to the top of the cell and inside the vehicle which means I will
Need a firewall which again is doable.
My Question: is anyone familiar
With this pump set Up and happy With it.
I'm also open to other options but I definitely want an in tank pump with a return.
I don't want to go with another tank or Cell as I have a fabbed cradle to make it sit where it is.

Just to help cover all the bases, do you have a relay for the pump and is it grounded well?

I'll meet you at Summit for a tech guy beat down. Lets do it.

No dirt, Filter
Was
Clean.
I have the gram HGC1 filter before the pump and yes I'm running a relay with fat wires to the pump and the pump is grounded directly to my trunk mounted battery neg post with an additional Ground to chassis.
I've been reading up
A lot on fuel systems and there
Are Several factors to
Consider.
I'm just gonna do it right this time and build a textbook fuel system with an in tank pump and a return.

Problem is the filter. The fram filter is like 10 microns which is too restrictive before pump. You need 100 microns before pump almost no restriction the 10 is good after the pump. With the 10 before the pump its working to hard. also what size is the inlet line? I think the 150 is 1/2 fittings which min should be -8 or -10

Is the pump mounted an any sort of angle? Holley pumps need to be mounted completely vertical to keep the lower bushing from wearing and eventually binding the armature.

Pump is
Mounted straight and gravity fed at a level lower than cell.
1/2 line from tank to filter and 3/8" line to carb.
Yes I agree in the Fram filter being restrictive.
I'm trying to work out a bulletproof set up and pretty
Much know what I need to do, just waiting on Aeromotive
Tech line to email me back some info.
Yeah I've studied up several set ups on the wiring, filter size and location, line size and type, regulators, returns and pumps.
I've ran my wish list by the folks at Aeromotive and just waiting to hear what their suggestions are.

I question the HPG-1 being to restrictive. I've ran them before the Holley Blue pumps since the 70's without a problem. In the early 80's I ran a 340 sand drag truck on methanol with you guessed it a Holley blue pump with a HPG-1 before it. If your familiar with gas vs methanol, you know it takes a whole lot more of it. The 850 methanol carb I had ran pre drilled .125 holes above each jet and I ran .085 front and .090 in rear. That is like running .210 jets in the primary and .215 in the rear! never starved for fuel!

Not a fair comparison, Look at the little 10 micron filters they use in the article. Also a Holley pump is not a pull type pump. That is why they recommend mounting their pumps lower than the tank. I'll rely on my past experience, It's got me 61 years in this world so far.

I could see where using a small filter like those in the picture would become clogged very fast due to the small surface area of the filter media.

"Anyways I'm thinking I need to revamp my fuel system and run a return to my cell (like I should have from the start)."

Maybe :) , chg system is pristine ??? just curious .

-
Back