Buyer beware - '66 Valiant on eBay

-
So what's the problem? It's a no reserve auction. They aint askin a gazillion bucks and it appears they are makin an effort to disclose information. They didn't have to add that info on the auction, but they did. For a no reserve auction, it's a nice little car until it gets too high. Then don't bid.

One thing about the "California car" thing. I'm not certain about early A-body convertibles, BUT every 67-69 A-body convertible was built at Dodge main (Hamtramk, MI), no matter where it was first sold. I suspect the early convertibles were also all built at the same plant...

One thing about the "California car" thing. I'm not certain about early A-body convertibles, BUT every 67-69 A-body convertible was built at Dodge main (Hamtramk, MI), no matter where it was first sold. I suspect the early convertibles were also all built at the same plant...

Thats what I was trying to say, it may be an "original" California car, but some buyers may be looking for what I call a "TRUE CALIFORNIA CAR" meaning, it was built in California also, and then sold in California.
Again, I AGREE a car sold in California is an "original" California car, but some buyers find a car more desirable if it was built in California, and sold and titled in California making it a TRUE 100% California Car.
Like the 68 Dart in my avatar, it was built in City of Commerce plant (Los Angeles) March 8th 1968 and was then sold in California, and has always been titled in California, making a true California car.
Myself living in California, find that to be a desirable attribute to buying an old MOPAR< but not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

I wish her luck in her sale.

So is a "California girl" built or sold in California, or both????

Hahah...A California girl is born here, you can't find them anywhere else:heart::sign10:
BUT, some girls come here, and try to "build" themselves into a California girl...you gotta look under the hood to see if everything is original, or aftermarket:D

Interesting.... Do all all those Califorina girls that go to Mexico for spring break and end up getting pregnant by their American boyfriends have Mexican babies? The beginning of the baby was in Mexico....

Interesting.... Do all all those Califorina girls that go to Mexico for spring break and end up getting pregnant by their American boyfriends have Mexican babies? The beginning of the baby was in Mexico....

lol wouldn't that be something...but allot of girls here have Mexican boyfriends too...they are more mexicans here in Southern California than any other race, at least that I can tell.
I am a minority in my own Country/State.:wack:

kinda like the American indian, let a few white eyes settle in and next thing ya know, all they got is a reservation and a pile of rock!????

lol wouldn't that be something...but allot of girls here have Mexican boyfriends too...they are more mexicans here in Southern California than any other race, at least that I can tell.
I am a minority in my own Country/State.:wack:

If you brush up on your history, California belonged to Mexico at first on 1821 and later became part of United States in 1848 after the Mexican hillbilly-American hillbilly war, I believe that's why it's over run, like the Black Plague.

These terms, survivor...rust free....are used to grab folks attention....it worked...

kinda like the American indian, let a few white eyes settle in and next thing ya know, all they got is a reservation and a pile of rock!????

Yeah, whitey really screwed the American Indians.... :axe:

But as George Carlin says, "America was founded by slave owners that wanted to be free..." :banghead: :finga:

The old double standard at work.... :wack:

Another of his sayings: "Why don't we just f*ck each other until we are all the same color?"

If you brush up on your history, California belonged to Mexico at first on 1821 and later became part of United States in 1848 after the Mexican hillbilly-American hillbilly war, I believe that's why it's over run, like the Black Plague.

Yes, I am quite aware of American history,(I am a history buff so to speak) and the history of the state I live in, thats why the Mexicans, like the American Indians, don't care too much for white people here. Not all of them, but some you can tell just don't like white people. Thats fine, to each their own, I didn't do anything to them personally, but I guess some people hold grudges for whatever reason.

wow, this really derailed.

What makes a California car desirable is the mild weather. People believe that a California car is less likely to have rust and other weather damage. True or not, that is the perception.
Also why California cars are bought by east coast people, foul weather and salted roads do wonders for car longevity
Where a car is built? It doesn&#8217;t matter for various reasons some stated earlier in this thread
I only want a San Jose (Milpitas) built mustang, of course that would make it a Shelby and we all want those

Thats what I was trying to say, it may be an "original" California car, but some buyers may be looking for what I call a "TRUE CALIFORNIA CAR" meaning, it was built in California also, and then sold in California.
Again, I AGREE a car sold in California is an "original" California car, but some buyers find a car more desirable if it was built in California, and sold and titled in California making it a TRUE 100% California Car.
Like the 68 Dart in my avatar, it was built in City of Commerce plant (Los Angeles) March 8th 1968 and was then sold in California, and has always been titled in California, making a true California car.
Myself living in California, find that to be a desirable attribute to buying an old MOPAR< but not necessarily a deal breaker for me.

I wish her luck in her sale.

And you're still incorrect (as far as MOST car enthusiasts think). Where it was built has no bearing on what state the car is considered to be from. My GTS is actually a Detroit car as that is where it was first sold. It doesn't matter that it was also built there (as I stated earlier, that's the only place the convertibles were built). I have no idea where my Barracuda was first sold , nor do I care. I do know that it was also built at Hamtramk and has been in California since, at least, the early 80s.

And you're still incorrect (as far as MOST car enthusiasts think). Where it was built has no bearing on what state the car is considered to be from. My GTS is actually a Detroit car as that is where it was first sold. It doesn't matter that it was also built there (as I stated earlier, that's the only place the convertibles were built). I have no idea where my Barracuda was first sold , nor do I care. I do know that it was also built at Hamtramk and has been in California since, at least, the early 80s.

Well I guess my opinion of what I think is wrong. So be it.:finga:

Well I guess my opinion of what I think is wrong. So be it.:finga:

Your interpretation is different from others. So what.... You can change your interpretation, or keep the one that you have.

You really don't need to get so upset about it. :wack: :sad2: :-({|=

Bid is currently $4051 w/ 4 days left. Interests me because I paid $2400 for my 64 Valiant convert. The engine certainly isn't original since EGR manifold (~74+), which matches the story. Most buyers might put it back to a V-8, which would be easy if it still has the V-8 center-link. It does look very rust-free underneath. The seat covers are probably for another car. The drivers' one is just thrown on, not clipped to the frame and under the trim. Wouldn't matter to those who replace them with modern shoulder belt seats (like me).

My only complaint is the sellers seem to be using a shill bidder to drive up price. If you pull up the bid list and click on the bidders name it will give you a bid history including percentage on bids with this seller over time. Based on what I've seen the most prominent bidder has a 64% bid ratio with this seller. So of all the items they've bid on, on Ebay, 64 times out of a 100 the bidder in question bid on this specific sellers items. In vehicles, I feel honest bidders will have a % from 0-15 at most. I have no proof, these are just my opinions from looking at many sales and should not be taken as proven fact.

My only complaint is the sellers seem to be using a shill bidder to drive up price. If you pull up the bid list and click on the bidders name it will give you a bid history including percentage on bids with this seller over time. Based on what I've seen the most prominent bidder has a 64% bid ratio with this seller. So of all the items they've bid on, on Ebay, 64 times out of a 100 the bidder in question bid on this specific sellers items. In vehicles, I feel honest bidders will have a % from 0-15 at most. I have no proof, these are just my opinions from looking at many sales and should not be taken as proven fact.

That is a good observation.

Statistically, you are probably right about the shell bidder at 64% on this person's auctions.

The bidder in question has bid 9 times on this car and that is the only thing of the seller's auction he/she had bid on. He/she has bid 14 times with 9 on this auction, twice on two other auctions and once on a 4th auction.

I am not saying this is correct. Just my 2 cents (or .005) from my experience.When I hear "California car' I think of a car that lived it's life in California. Not where it was built, or necessarily where it was bought.It needs to have rego's to back that time frame.
My 73 340 4 spd.Cuda was sold in California, lived all but 20 years of it's life in California. That would speak volumes to me if I was a purchaser.It has been with me those 20 years in Idaho, plus 10 in California before I moved here.It has always been garaged and warm.I have rego's to trace it all.
"California car" says to me little rust if any.

The bidder in question has bid 9 times on this car and that is the only thing of the seller's auction he/she had bid on. He/she has bid 14 times with 9 on this auction, twice on two other auctions and once on a 4th auction.

The way I understand ebay bidding is; say the current bid is at $2000, but the person that made that bid entered $2400 you bid $4101.01 and the price jumps to 2401 and you are the high bidder. somebody else makes a bid and the price jumps to their bid but you are still high bid until you are outbid. Just because somebody is listed as nine bids they probably only made the one bid. BUT! If they have a 64% bid history with this seller that is a clear sign of shill bidding and should be reported as suspect to ebay.

the bidder has 54 % of the bids on that car I think is what that means there are 18 bids and the lead bidder has 9 bids or 54% of the bids on the car ?should be 50%percent were I went to school but maybe with the automatic bids it shows a little higher percentage rate..jmo and I may be wrong as I was once before

the bidder has 54 % of the bids on that car I think is what that means there are 18 bids and the lead bidder has 9 bids or 54% of the bids on the car ?should be 50%percent were I went to school but maybe with the automatic bids it shows a little higher percentage rate..jmo and I may be wrong as I was once before

54% is based off the number of total bids he has made in the specified time frame. Other than his 9 bids, no other bids on this auction matter. If the auction gets another 50 bids and he does no further bids on any auction his 54% will still be 54%. If he doesn't bid on this auction again but bids on others the 54% will go down.

The way I understand ebay bidding is; say the current bid is at $2000, but the person that made that bid entered $2400 you bid $4101.01 and the price jumps to 2401 and you are the high bidder. somebody else makes a bid and the price jumps to their bid but you are still high bid until you are outbid. Just because somebody is listed as nine bids they probably only made the one bid. BUT! If they have a 64% bid history with this seller that is a clear sign of shill bidding and should be reported as suspect to ebay.

If you look at bidder 9***s( 8 ), you will see he/she has only two bids on this auction with 8% being his percentage. The bids e***r( 1131) has made is raising 9***s( 8 )'s proxy bid. I would be more suspicious of 9***s( 8 ) being a shill bidder that is covering his/her tracks by bidding on other auctions.

-
Back