Buying an engine from ebay... GOOD OR BAD?

-

73SwungOut

Reaction score
What's up everybody.. Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday and ended it with a smile. Got a question to ask hopefully I'm in the right thread. I'm about to buy a used engine but the local shops here in my hometown are pretty pricey. What are your thoughts on purchasing from ebay? I found some pretty descent pricing engines with lower mileage on ebay than the local shops here where i live.. If anyone could point me in the right direction that be great. Really need that engine ASAP... Much love everyone

FWIW, I would only buy a used engine from anywhere if I could hear it run or a video that showed it run and the oil pressure etc.
I have been burned so many times to take someone's word for it and even then...
It didn't turn out to be more than a 50/50 chance.
If you don't hear it run and inspect it on the spot, then it's a core.
Period...

Now I am the opposite- I’ve had good luck on eBay - BUT you need to do your due diligence. Get as much info as there are scammer out there preying on people who do not know any better. Typically I make sure anything complicated like an engine or transmission - I can go get. Meet the person. Don’t worry about you eBay rating. If your gut tells you when you inspect it is junk- don’t walk… run. Allways pay on line even if it is last second. This way if you walk away… they don’t have your money.
But most people are decent, use your gut.
Syleng1

What's up everybody.. Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday and ended it with a smile. Got a question to ask hopefully I'm in the right thread. I'm about to buy a used engine but the local shops here in my hometown are pretty pricey. What are your thoughts on purchasing from ebay? I found some pretty descent pricing engines with lower mileage on ebay than the local shops here where i live.. If anyone could point me in the right direction that be great. Really need that engine ASAP... Much love everyone
Did you post a want ad on here for the engine you are needing? There are a lot of good people here. I bought a 67 casting 340 202 valve x head engine from a member here air cleaner to oil pan for $1500.00 and he shipped it to my doorstep Fastenal Blue Line Freight.

I’ve have bought 3 engines off eBay. Although they should have been treated as cores, I paid up for them at the time prices as such. Was it taking a chance? Yep, but I’m good with that.

1957 GMC 302 straight 6 cylinder. Complete engine. I have about $500 into it including driving to Minneapolis from Milwaukee to get it, with renting a pickup truck. Farmer pulled it from a truck to put in one of his, told me it ran when pulled. Told me it had less than 50k miles on it. Right now a block alone is about a grand and they are getting hard to find.

1972 340. I have about $500 into it including shipping from Seattle. Turned out to be forged crank.03 under from factory. 1.88 J heads , no intake, carb,distributor or water pump. Someone rebuilt it using stock bearings and it was never ran. Guy said he bought it, never used it or tore into it. Stated he had no idea what was inside as he bought it as a rebuilder. Rare engine in my opinion and a piece of history.

Pontiac overhead cam 250 straight six, year unknown. Complete engine. 4 barrel motor including the manifolds and carb. Hard to find carb. I have $400 into it including driving to Indianapolis to get it including renting a pickup truck. This engine was spotless and was on an engine stand that he threw in.

Even though I have not gone through these engines, I’m good with it all even though it’s rolling the dice. After having these for 15-18 years, bet y’all I could double my money if I was to sell them.

My experience has been that high performance engines/parts never go down in value, only up.
Both of the sraight sixes have cult followings.

this such an open ended question. what kind of motor? do you need a complete, running motor? is it for an engine swap or for a repair? are you doing the install or are you having a shop do an install? what's your budget? what's your timeline? what level of risk do you deem acceptable? do you have the finances to potentially eat that purchase, plus labor or time lost and pay all of that out again?

think about those answers and then form your decision from there.

What are you looking for. I have no idea where ''Chuko'' is. That said, if you're in the lower 48, there should be a reasonable engine within driving distance if you can be patient. Like i said, not sure what you want, but Magnum small blocks seem to be a dime a dozen listening to the members here.

-
Back