Buying and Selling in this Economy

-

Detroit Iron

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone is buying or selling vintage cars in this economy. I recently tried to sell my '67 Barracuda on eBay FOUR times without success.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0554&ih=017&sspagename=STRK:MEUS:IT&viewitem=

I tried to be realistic with my expectations and set the reserve accordingly. Each time the car was listed, I lowered the reserve, and each time it failed to make it that high.

I'd like to know if anyone has noticed the economy making an impact on buying or selling.

Yes its effecting the hobby. People are afraid to spend money which in my opinion is just making things worse.

I am a sales manager at a very large dealership in PA...The economy is having a strong effect on newer cars as well as classic cars...I also enjoy buying and selling 5-10 classic cars a year as a hobby, and of course to make extra cash..I have not bought anything to resell in 4 months due to the market conditions, most reserves are not getting met on ebay.If you can hold onto your car till the market changes would be best, may take a year or longer?

The job report for November showed a loss of another 1/2 million jobs. We`ve lost over 2 million jobs this year to date. That`s 2 million prospective consumers taken out of the economy. We are in serious trouble if a lot of jobs aren`t created in this country soon. I`ve noticed that Ebay sales are flat too. If you`re a buyer, there are deals to be had, but if you`re a seller all you can do is sacrifice profit margin or wait for better times.

I'd like to know if anyone is buying or selling vintage cars in this economy. I recently tried to sell my '67 Barracuda on eBay FOUR times without success.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0554&ih=017&sspagename=STRK:MEUS:IT&viewitem=

I tried to be realistic with my expectations and set the reserve accordingly. Each time the car was listed, I lowered the reserve, and each time it failed to make it that high.

I'd like to know if anyone has noticed the economy making an impact on buying or selling.
I'd love to be able to buy right now, but more than that, I need to feed, house, and clothe my family. This is not going to be a pretty 2009.

That is a nice car and one I would have paid more than the high bid to own, but I'm not in a position to buy anything right now. What was your reserve anyway?

That is very reasonable if you ask me, but I'm sure the economy and uncertain future is keeping many people from spending any money. Good luck with the sale.

Interesting times for sure. I have been bidding on small block engine parts on ebay lately thinking I would strike on a bargain. I wind up buying new because some fools are bidding parts up for more than they cost new!

I had been trying to sell my 69 Polara, for over a year, without sucess.
3 weeks ago, I put it out on the highway with a for sale sign. Raised the asking price, to give me negotiating room, and still get what I wanted. Sold it last week for the asking price, to someone from out of state. He saw the car, liked it, bought it without haggling. Just need the right person to see the car.

Due To The Economy, I Have Put Off Putting Together A New Racecar For Next Season. I Will Be Racing My Old One. My Job & My Wifes Job Is Pretty Stable. I Just Don't Have Any Consumer Confidence, Like Alot Of Other People. There Are Some Good Buys Out There, But I'm Afraid To Purchase Anything. I Have Put Off Buying The Wife A Newer Vehicle. Yea Fuel Is Cheap Now, But We Are Staying Home, Not Eating Out. I'll Be Glad To Just Pay The Mortgage & The Kids College. I Still Don't Understand How Everything Went To Hell In A Hand Basket , All At Once. Is Anybody Seeing Any Light At The End Of The Tunnel?

I cant wait to watch Barrett Jackson next month on speed. Im sure there will be some price adjustments.

This economy is governed by many factors that have not a damn thing to do with the price of tea in China. This economy is driven by " PANIC".That's right. An election year is not always good for cash flow situations. Goes along with the stock market. Panic driven. Someone mentions this or that about something that don't a have a thing to do with nothing and a stock goes down or up. No real meaning to any of it. Banks were loaning money and all was well. Fannie and Freddie burped and people freaked out. People stopped spending and buying and companies pulled in the reins and laid off empolyees and dropped production. The same money is out there and now they bail out banks that don't need bailed out and takes the money and buys other banks instead of loaning it out for stimulation purposes and then everyone gets on the band wagon and screams "HELP" and everything is bad. Now Ford says they can make it because they don't want government to tell em to take a pay cut at the top level. Don't blow smoke up my *** and tell me this is gona feel good. Same panic driven economy with the ripple effect. We all need to get a job selling seats in the senate. Woops!! Wrong forum.

I recently went to a Mecom auction. I was surprised how many modified cars were in the queue for the block. Most "correct" restorations of muscle cars were making reserve. "Restified cars" that were established classics, like a 56 Nomad, made reserve. A 55 Chebby 210 converted to Belair and chromed out the wazzoo were not making it. The one cloned hemi car and the one with a "new" hemi did not make reserve. It seems that as the economy slides into the tank, the toys are being sold off.

I've watched your car for a while and thought about it buying it but backed off because for one I won't buy anything off ebay period and the other problem is location -I moved here from Windsor 3 and a half years ago and am now just to far away , if it is still around this summer I am planning to attend the woodward with my 69 fastback and if I have a job will gladly make you an offer equal to your reserve but the way the economy is going thats a big if eh -good luck it's a nice piece and should sell , ebay has just gotten to sketchy and most of the guy's I talk to just buy parts here and there nothing big and expensive the odds of getting what your even looking at are just to big

People that are buying in the recession are the people with money and aren't buying at market value. If you are in a panic, they will offer 1/2 of it's value but not much more. If you panic and sell, next time you see driving a Lexus or some othe big dollar car, you could have paid for it. If you HAVE to sell, I understand but expect to loose all your work and a good part of your investment. Don't get mad at them, it's your congressmen and rep's. that are putting the screws to you. Don't forget, Your President had a lot to do with what's going on. \
Maybe you should have invested in the war machine.

The primered nosed hurts the eye appeal of it. The pictures need to make the car "pop" more.

The pictures are all taken in indirect sunlight in the shade. Use a flash fill or get everything in the shade rather than half shade and half not (engine shots)

I bet that has a real nice unrusted undercarriage that we on the west coast take for granted. Put it on a lift and take a good flash picture. Lay on the ground to get the most in with one shot. Inner rear quarters, exposed unrusted metal from flaked off undercoating...

Also I think some of the thumbnail pics on the ebay ad are redundent and could be replaced with better or other pictures like the trunk or undercarriage. The three dash pics are too much. I don't know what the ds mirror, alternator, nor cammando badge pictures are contributing. But if the commando pic was a little lower we could see the lower fender for rust.

I think your written discription is sort of bland and matter of fact. Maybe too wordy. You have made a lot of very practical and usefull upgrades. I hate to say it, you need more pimping.

I think it reads like a web page describing the things you did to the car and why. It reminds me of the stuff I wrote for my webpage and have seen on others. The for sale ad should have a different approach.

Just my opinions. Trying to help. I think it's a better car than whats being presented. And compared to the other stuff out there. Theres a blue 67 Coupe that was fixed up on a TV show on ebay, that IMHO is not as good, solid, and not screwed up a car as yours.

In The Past 5 Yrs The Price Of Cars Has Skyrocketed To Untouchable Prices.
Now We Are All Wondering Why We Cant Sell.
10 Yrs Ago I Was Buying Mint 340 Demons For $3500.00
Whos Fault Is It?????????????????

Every time I get a notification for this topic, I look at the pictures and start juggling numbers. If I could swing it I would fly out there and drive it back. I'm glad it doesn't have a clutch pedal, I'd be trying to sell organs. I'm sure it will be gone when I'm ready to buy.

Just for the record, I'd rather have a 273 car than a 340 car, but I dig that oddball stuff.

I think the more times a car is listed on ebay the further the end price goes down. It should be sold aggressively the first time around. Have you noticed cars that stay on ebay continually? They don't gain much attention. I listed a car in the 40k range last year. A guy talked me into stopping the auction with a nice offer and even a 1000 dollar deposit. He never completed the deal and the next time we ran the auction the car tanked. People kinda wonder whats up.

-
Back