CA to GA road trippin

-
Thanks everyone, it was an epic journey! Something I never thought I would do it a 48 year old vehicle! We left Oct 2nd and my flight back was Oct 10th. Having more time would have been the one thing I wish we had more of. I daily drove my Duster for about a year and a half before I swapped it into the Dodge. I spent about a week before the trip thrashing to get the butchered wiring fixed, did the mad mod, dropped the gas tank to clean out. I would have like to fix some of the front end, it was all the original parts from my 72 and I knew the ball joints where bad but i suppose that goes to show how tuff parts where made back then.

Thought I'd share my journey, which started about 3 years ago. Bought this 73' Dart Sport, https://barnfinds.com/something-special-1973-dodge-dart/, as a parts car for my 72' Duster. After robbing the goodies I needed for my big block swap such as the Kmember I modified thanks to Jim Lusk I grabbed the bucket seats, center console, steering column etc. I put the slant 6/kmember and bench seat from my Duster into the Dart Sport and gave it to my girlfriends brother in law. Problem was he was Georgia and I'm in Northern California. After a year of talking about it and saving up vacation time we got finally got a plan together and he flew out, we fixed a few things and hit the road

View attachment 1715807804

View attachment 1715807805

View attachment 1715807806

View attachment 1715807807

View attachment 1715807808

View attachment 1715807809
I had a 73 Duster same blue!

And incase anyone's wondering, although it was all about smiles per gallon we still had to keep track and we averaged 15-17mpg with the stock slant 6 with 2.94 gears and 195/75r14 tires doing 75-80mph

Man, That's Awesome! Kinda reminds me of the crazy stuff we did when we're kids around here! I'm Glad You had a, for these days, once I a lifetime experience, and made it home safely!

Man, That's Awesome! Kinda reminds me of the crazy stuff we did when we're kids around here! I'm Glad You had a, for these days, once I a lifetime experience, and made it home safely!
Thanks! Yea the car wasn't as 'road tested' as I would have liked, we put maybe 30 miles total on it before we hit the road and the only 2 issues we had was one at Donner lake, near Lake Tahoe, the shift linkage came apart (we bent a finishing nail to use as a cotter pin that fell out, bailing wire fixed that) and ran it out of gas once outside Flagstaff

That's not bad! And the wire comes in handy! I lost a tire I my 68 Coronet in 94 on the way back from Gainesville to Tampa. Walked, w/ my Sons pregnant mom, to the one place open by Brooksville at 7 in the evening. Was Blessed to find them, even though they robbed my ***. Car lost throttle cable pulling out after I changed the tire. Used bailing wire! Stuff was cutting hand up so bad, I had to use my shirt as a wrap! Stiff wire, winter time ( dark, no flashlight) probably could have just did a wire cable, but was OVER IT. just wanted to get on the road again

Last edited:
Great story. I commend you on the way you included the car in the background for many of the photos. Great work.
Thanks as well for taking pictures the right way. Too many people shoot pictures in the crappy facebook vertical format.

Vertical 4.JPG

Nobody has eyes like this yet many people take those crappy vertical/portrait aspect pictures.

Everybody needs to Stand On The Corner in Winslow Arizona at least once in their life !
Outstanding job and what fun. I have done the cross country many times in old Mopars.
Enjoyed every minute ! Thanks for posting.

[/QUOTE]
Not much in west Texas but we did get pulled over again. Same thing, duel plates, but this time they wanted to make sure we wernt smuggling any dope. Gave us a warning and sent us on our way

Brings back memories when I drove my "new" 68 Barracuda from Mountain View CA to Ohio in 2005 after Spring Fling. I got pulled over in CA, Nevada, and Colorado on Easter Sunday. I had a one trip ticket in the back window. CA to OH and I think it was 2800 miles. No heater, no radio, and top cruising speed of 62 MPH.
First thing I ever bought on Ebay.

I'm sure you had fun! I'd recommend it to anyone.

My son flies drones that Winslow corner pic is amazing, should blow it up and put it in your garage.

Brings back memories when I drove my "new" 68 Barracuda from Mountain View CA to Ohio in 2005 after Spring Fling. I got pulled over in CA, Nevada, and Colorado on Easter Sunday. I had a one trip ticket in the back window. CA to OH and I think it was 2800 miles. No heater, no radio, and top cruising speed of 62 MPH.
First thing I ever bought on Ebay.

I'm sure you had fun! I'd recommend it to anyone.[/QUOTE]

I did the same from Minneapolis, Mn. to Reno, Nv. 1,850 miles, no heat see the recirc hose? lol

17550_1131842111082_3122970_n.jpg

When I called you after this EPIC trip, I had you on speaker with my friends beside me, the look on their faces were priceless listening to your story. Hats off to You!!

-
Back