Cam choice? Not again! I'm sorry

-

Badart

Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death, but my combo might be a bit different and I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice for the cam.

73 Dart, 318 (Low mileage reman long block) Low compression I am sure, 904, most likely stock convertor, 3.91 gears, 675 heads (small valves), eddy performer intake, holley 600 cfm 6619 carb, hooker comp headers, 3" dual flowmasters.

This is going to be a street machine. I would like to have a slightly choppy idle but good low to mid rpm performance. Is the Comp XE256H or XE262H cams a good choice for this combo? I know with either of these I will have to change the springs.

changing the heads is not really an option or machine work because I am building a 440/727 combo to go in this later, but in the mean time I do want to enjoy driving it. Thanks.

LOL, Your killing us here, slap in the XE262H and stop freakin out on cam choice, worry about the big block.

Make a plan and stick to ti....it's also cheaper that way. Easier n the brain.....and us...LOL!

A Comp Cams High Enery cam may work better for what you have.HE cams are made for 10:1 comp or less,and work well with most stock components.Your best bet is to just call Comp Cams Tech line. Jim

Thanks guys. I know I'm a PITA, but I don't want to pull this motor more than once. There are just too many choices and that freaks me out. HaHa

Then don't make the choice call COMP CAMS for gods sake.A cam to big or small will do you no good.Call COMP Tech line have your carb size, kind intake your running,your rear gear,compression ratio,what transmission,what stall,your running and they will know what you need.If there are stock pistons in that 73 318 your probably around 8:1 compression.
Jim

Your right 68, but our freind can't make up his mind on anything.

You guys are wrong. I ordered a Comp XE256H. What do you think about that. I'm all growed up now.

thanks again

And he wnats to build a 440 later...LOL He better just call 440 source or something then... Jim

OHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO are you sure thats the right cam.
Its alright I can't make my mind up sometimes.
LOL JIM

Oh if you think I am bad now, just wait until I start building the big block. I might get booted off of here. I will have more posts than Memike. hehe

OHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO are you sure thats the right cam.
Its alright I can't make my mind up sometimes.
LOL JIM

Your killin me!!!!! I might have the heads machined to bump up the ratio a little and go with thinner head gaskets if need be.

wy not stik with what you have and just drive it even race a coupel of cars let them make fun of ya and then dont tell any one about the big block then come out the next week with big block.it only takes two days to chage it. and if its any kind of car at all it will run well in to the 11s with a mild 440 and drive it any were.

You guys are freakin funny. Glad to see you all get along so well, LOL.

GFofChry. has a point about a well preped big block in a A body.

Zooooooooooom!

i called comp cams to get ther opinion on a cam for a 318 in a street rod,,\
74 motor low compression, 323 gear 904 with low 1st and a lock up

the guy i talked to wanted to sell me the biggest hyd cam they had for a small block,,maybe i was talking to the janitor,,

-
Back