Cam grinder/manufacturer opinions

-
I just posted this in the plans for 2020

Just get the Dart swinger going down the road.
Engines ready, Trans is fresh, J converter worked over for my car.
3.91 fresh gears bearings 275 drag radials i had on the challenger a short time. Rubbed a little couldn’t stand it. Some nice Goodyear’s for the front race seats for the front and harness’s windshield, about a months work, probably less to hear it run, msd wired up, get the exhaust figured out as I have 2 chamber race mufflers 3.5” center in out 3.5” collector 2” super comps
Bunch of nice junk to throw at it.
Not gonna worry about the body, just mounting the glass hood and Daytona hinges properly.
Brakes should be ok.
373 W2 BRC pistons Eagle forged crank scar rods Bullit sold roller, super stock oil pan, turbo action shifter and manual valve body.
I hope it runs
My 4.56 gears need gone through had a roar. Probably to much gear for the quarter with those tires.

I’d like to do the monster mopar weekend as it’s not far for me, and drag my mopar buddy with muscular dystrophy he’s a super tech and on a next level keeps me in check at times and electrical genius.
I can trust him as he’s incredibly meticulous.
Love the guy

I just ordered a cam from Ken at Oregon Cam grinders. Great to deal with so far. As long as things come as expected I will be very happy!

Cley
Which one did you order?.. solid mechanical, roller, hydraulic?

I ordered a solid flat taper cam.

Cley
Do you remember the part number? Or did you order something out of your head? And what were you putting it in?
The first one was a part number 175 but my second one is a variation of 1313...

Do you remember the part number? Or did you order something out of your head? And what were you putting it in?
The first one was a part number 175 but my second one is a variation of 1313...

Here is the cam I went with.

#1920 - 230/236 @ .050”, 264/270 adv, .453”/.473” lift(1.5:1 rocker), 112 sep

Cley

Stock stroke 360, 10.52 to 1 compression according to Wallace, CNC ported speed masters as delivered with an overdrive automatic.

Cley

When I got the 175 it was crazy! It wouldn't idle for more than 10 seconds until it started choking itself out which was actually kind of what I wanted...
my friend brought his teenage son over and he said it sounds like it's going to die.. my friend and I gave each other a knowing smile and said I know....:thumbsup:..
But after some time on the street it just became tiresome... That's when I went to the 1313 and I believe it has like a 38 48 at 50 and a little over 500 with 1. 6:1 rockers.. it now idles pretty well and pulls right down from the bottom...

Stock stroke 360, 10.52 to 1 compression according to Wallace, CNC ported speed masters as delivered with an overdrive automatic.

Cley
Every time I've talked to Ken he's giving me exactly what I wanted so you should be just fine...

That's cause I'm special!

Cley
yeah I just don't understand why people will call a tech line or email in and wait for weeks and months for no answer and if they do get an answer it's from some kid just reading off of a chart and then you get charged twice as much...
When you talk to Ken you can ask for this intake lobe that exhaust lobe at that duration at that lobe separation.. and he can tell you if you you've lost your mind or that sounds good..

I corresponded over email. I told him what I had and what I wanted. He gave me 3 suggestions with a stronger recommendation for this one. I don't know **** about cams but I do know what I want so I am trusting him on the word of you and a few others. I hope it turns out. I did contact some others but Ken is the only one who got back to me so he got my business.

Cley

I corresponded over email. I told him what I had and what I wanted. He gave me 3 suggestions with a stronger recommendation for this one. I don't know **** about cams but I do know what I want so I am trusting him on the word of you and a few others. I hope it turns out. I did contact some others but Ken is the only one who got back to me so he got my business.

Cley
I emailed Jones, Howard’s, Crower, Lunati, Isky and Bullet. Jones and Howard’s got back to me promptly, the others no reply. Made my choice on what I wanted and called Bullet. For me in the end it was who had the lobes I wanted. One thing better with an email is you can write it down so there is no confusion what the deal is. A phone call sometimes you have to repeat things and speak clearly, and hope the other person on the line hears and listens to what your saying etc. and is not distracted, had to do that with Bullet, had to repeat what I wanted and make sure he heard me right. Lot of chatter in the background on my calls to them so I knew the guy had distractions. Don’t want a cam for a big block instead of a small block!

For me whether it's business or hobby/personal stuff, my biggest decision making factor is customer service. Lots of places can provide you what you want/need and often when comparing apples to apples the price wont be too much different. In today's world customer service is usually what sets one outfit apart from another. Not saying the other places I contacted aren't good to deal with and maybe they were just real busy churning out high quality products at a great price but my perception was they didn't bother to get back to me and Ken did. Now the only question is, will I be happy with my cam when its running in my engine!
Actually the real question is, will I screw it up breaking it in and wish I had never messed with it in the first place!

Cley

B8417A63-0B1F-4B22-A366-4BA1F0BEF22D.jpeg
Back in 1983 when I rebuilt my first engine I lubed the cam like described in this bolt-on performance book I think it was, broke it in and that was it. No worries, fears or loss of sleep. Things were simpler back then. You could actually just do engine work without sweating things over analyzing and essentially making brain surgery out of simply putting on a bandaid....or something like that! Just lube it, and do the running in as instructed and have a beer!:)

Cley
All you have to do is call the phone number and talk to him he's a nice guy like talking to me or anybody else. He'll chat with you for a while and tell you what he thinks of this and why and all that it's much easier... There shouldn't be any distractions or anyting it's just a small shop and there's small office it's not like a big hotline with tons of employees chattering and buying and selling tons of stuff..

I emailed Jones, Howard’s, Crower, Lunati, Isky and Bullet. Jones and Howard’s got back to me promptly, the others no reply. Made my choice on what I wanted and called Bullet. For me in the end it was who had the lobes I wanted. One thing better with an email is you can write it down so there is no confusion what the deal is. A phone call sometimes you have to repeat things and speak clearly, and hope the other person on the line hears and listens to what your saying etc. and is not distracted, had to do that with Bullet, had to repeat what I wanted and make sure he heard me right. Lot of chatter in the background on my calls to them so I knew the guy had distractions. Don’t want a cam for a big block instead of a small block!
Who had the lobes you wanted?...
I just tell them what lobe I want and they grind it?...

For me whether it's business or hobby/personal stuff, my biggest decision making factor is customer service. Lots of places can provide you what you want/need and often when comparing apples to apples the price wont be too much different. In today's world customer service is usually what sets one outfit apart from another. Not saying the other places I contacted aren't good to deal with and maybe they were just real busy churning out high quality products at a great price but my perception was they didn't bother to get back to me and Ken did. Now the only question is, will I be happy with my cam when its running in my engine!
Actually the real question is, will I screw it up breaking it in and wish I had never messed with it in the first place!

Cley
Don't sweat all that stuff. Just like the Speedmaster heads everybody talks all their voodoo talk about. You're not going to wipe a lobe:rolleyes: just don't do anything wrong like over tighten something... Put some good break in oil and like pen grade like I did and use a drill with the tool and spin up the oil pressure both sides and the rockers where you see oil coming out of the right side and the left side. Sticker distributor in there and get it started and up to speed. I've done it so many times it's just ridiculous now to even think that something's going to happen... Actually just get ready to enjoy the moment...:thumbsup:..

Don't sweat all that stuff. Just like the Speedmaster heads everybody talks all their voodoo talk about. You're not going to wipe a lobe:rolleyes: just don't do anything wrong like over tighten something... Put some good break in oil and like pen grade like I did and use a drill with the tool and spin up the oil pressure both sides and the rockers where you see oil coming out of the right side and the left side. Sticker distributor in there and get it started and up to speed. I've done it so many times it's just ridiculous now to even think that something's going to happen... Actually just get ready to enjoy the moment...:thumbsup:..
Nice, encouraging post. :) Not to show a neg story, but Uncle Tony (whitepunkonnitro here) lost 2 cams back to back in his Bottle Rocket 318. I'm following that build. There are some super neat things he's done in that project. I took the bait on that car hook, line and sinker.

-
Back