Cam grinder/manufacturer opinions

-
Nice, encouraging post. :) Not to show a neg story, but Uncle Tony (whitepunkonnitro here) lost 2 cams back to back in his Bottle Rocket 318. I'm following that build. There are some super neat things he's done in that project. I took the bait on that car hook, line and sinker.
I've broken endless cams and never a problem... The last one I broke in was a Ford that I've been sitting for 15 years...
Brand new motor just never broke in...

Nice, encouraging post. :) Not to show a neg story, but Uncle Tony (whitepunkonnitro here) lost 2 cams back to back in his Bottle Rocket 318. I'm following that build. There are some super neat things he's done in that project. I took the bait on that car hook, line and sinker.
Is that the one that's completely drilled full of holes LOL...

I've broken endless cams and never a problem... The last one I broke in was a Ford that I've been sitting for 15 years...
Brand new motor just never broke in...
I've never lost a cam either. A person raises the risk when you start to get 500 lbs of spring pressure over the nose...

Is that the one that's completely drilled full of holes LOL...
No, it's the light blue '73 coronet. 318, he installed a 4 speed, 4.11 gears and welded the spider gears. But, for instance, he hooked up a dual point distributor and has a switch that he uses one set of points for normal driving and the other set to retard the timing a little bit for the NOS... LOL

Fk dude, 2 cams back to back??
Whats the issue ?

Who had the lobes you wanted?...
I just tell them what lobe I want and they grind it?...
I just searched lobe lists for what I wanted, I ultimately called Bullet because they have the UltraDyne master lobes. I told them what I was doing, what I wanted and placed the order. Nothing groundbreaking or out of the ordinary I think.

Which definitely leads me to believe something is amidst that's not being said or seen...
Naw, he don't edit videos. I seen him have things go wrong and he records on. I'm telling you, I'm not a fan of these crazy fast ramp cams of today.

Fk dude, 2 cams back to back??
Whats the issue ?

In the early 2000's there was a huge batch of bad lifters. We lost 3 cams on the same customers engine before we caught it.

After that, we started checking every single lifter. If they didn't have at least .002 across the radius they went in the trash.

Naw, he don't edit videos. I seen him have things go wrong and he records on. I'm telling you, I'm not a fan of these crazy fast ramp cams of today.

The faster the ramp, the less room you have for error. I always use a known good carb and ignition, I make sure I have at least 40 degrees of timing on it before I crank on it. I fill the fuel bowls.

As long as they get lit they almost always live. Unless you get some bad lifters. Or you have some worn out lifter bores.

The faster the ramp, the less room you have for error. I always use a known good carb and ignition, I make sure I have at least 40 degrees of timing on it before I crank on it. I fill the fuel bowls.

As long as they get lit they almost always live. Unless you get some bad lifters. Or you have some worn out lifter bores.
agree.

I'm enjoying all the info you guys are sharing. Talked to numerous of the cam grinders mentioned in this thread for a build I have. Typical 408 - Eddy ported heads, 10.5CR, Victor manifold, 3100# car w/ ~3500stall, 90% brackets/10% street. Gonna come down to one of these two solid flats:
255/259@050, 568/560 w/ 1.5RR, 108 LSA and ICL of 104. "Ford" lifter dia grind to stay "safe" on face. OR...
248/248@050, 540/540 w/ 1.5RR, 107 LSA and ICL of 105. "Chrysler" lifter dia.

Notice how close they really are. And as someone else mentioned, much more thought put into my build than the "bigger" cam companies. I'll bet there are some good comments for these!!

I'm enjoying all the info you guys are sharing. Talked to numerous of the cam grinders mentioned in this thread for a build I have. Typical 408 - Eddy ported heads, 10.5CR, Victor manifold, 3100# car w/ ~3500stall, 90% brackets/10% street. Gonna come down to one of these two solid flats:
255/259@050, 568/560 w/ 1.5RR, 108 LSA and ICL of 104. "Ford" lifter dia grind to stay "safe" on face. OR...

Notice how close they really are. And as someone else mentioned, much more thought put into my build than the "bigger" cam companies. I'll bet there are some good comments for these!!
the first one's going to make you happier at the track and the second one's going to make you happier on the street...

Personally, if I thought 248 at .050 would get the RPM I needed, id pick the single pattern cam.

At 408 inches, that 248 might come up a bit short on the RPM you want...except...if we had the at .200 numbers we could tell more.

If that 248 catches the other cam at .200 or is a degree or two slower, that would still be the better grind IMO.

Just my .02 and it's actually worth way less than you paid for it!!

RPM-wise I'm looking for no more than 6400-6500 (lower is better!) which both believe these cams would be good for. The 200 numbers for the first one is added but I don't have them for the 2nd one. I'll try to get them but since is it a "Chrysler" lobe, it probably is closer to the same than they are at 050. So we'll see. But after all the postings in this thread and others, I thought it interesting that when these guys, who actually listened to my build and what I was looking for, recommended these cams that are not all that different.
255/259@050, 170/170@200, 568/560 w/ 1.5RR, 108 LSA and ICL of 104. "Ford" lifter dia grind to stay "safe" on face. OR...

RPM-wise I'm looking for no more than 6400-6500 (lower is better!) which both believe these cams would be good for. The 200 numbers for the first one is added but I don't have them for the 2nd one. I'll try to get them but since is it a "Chrysler" lobe, it probably is closer to the same than they are at 050. So we'll see. But after all the postings in this thread and others, I thought it interesting that when these guys, who actually listened to my build and what I was looking for, recommended these cams that are not all that different.
255/259@050, 170/170@200, 568/560 w/ 1.5RR, 108 LSA and ICL of 104. "Ford" lifter dia grind to stay "safe" on face. OR...
I've been through a couple cams with my 410 Stroker (same thing just 40 over instead of 30 over). My first cam had a 259-267 @50 with a 582 603 lift.. who would RPM to 8 grande no problem, but it would really never quarter mile any better over 5500 to 5700 RPMs.. it sounded bad *** but couldn't Idol worth crap and certainly barely even ran under 3000 RPMs and was worthless on the street. My best friend said he wasn't sure we were going to make it back home it ran so terrible until I opened it up and it scared the crap out of him...
That was the one I told Ken what I wanted and he tried to talk me out of it but I wanted something totally radical! And of course I'm the customer so he said okay...
then I brought the cam and lifters in tub and said this damn things to radical! LOL
Without even one I told you so that I certainly deserved we had a more in-depth discussion about what would be a lot better for my combination and I was going way down and he was saying "I don't want to kill it!" So now I have a 238-248 @50 with a 506-526 lift.. both with a 107 lobe separation.. the car now idles and easily pulls up from idle.. revs way past what I need and still doesn't get a better 1/4 mile time over 5700 RPMs... I've been thinking about a little bit more lift but I'll talk to Ken about it probably at the end of the summer... I want to see how things go with the new heads and new carburetor first.. for now I'm happy and satisfied I got what I asked for..

I've been through a couple cams with my 410 Stroker (same thing just 40 over instead of 30 over). My first cam had a 259-267 @50 with a 582 603 lift.. who would RPM to 8 grande no problem, but it would really never quarter mile any better over 5500 to 5700 RPMs.. it sounded bad *** but couldn't Idol worth crap and certainly barely even ran under 3000 RPMs and was worthless on the street. My best friend said he wasn't sure we were going to make it back home it ran so terrible until I opened it up and it scared the crap out of him...
That was the one I told Ken what I wanted and he tried to talk me out of it but I wanted something totally radical! And of course I'm the customer so he said okay...
then I brought the cam and lifters in tub and said this damn things to radical! LOL
Without even one I told you so that I certainly deserved we had a more in-depth discussion about what would be a lot better for my combination and I was going way down and he was saying "I don't want to kill it!" So now I have a 238-248 @50 with a 506-526 lift.. both with a 107 lobe separation.. the car now idles and easily pulls up from idle.. revs way past what I need and still doesn't get a better 1/4 mile time over 5700 RPMs... I've been thinking about a little bit more lift but I'll talk to Ken about it probably at the end of the summer... I want to see how things go with the new heads and new carburetor first.. for now I'm happy and satisfied I got what I asked for..

Did Kenny give you a cam card or a paper with your info on it? If he did, it would be nice to see the at .200 numbers and the seat to seat timing.

I need to call him. I need the specs on a cam he repaired for me. Or I may stop by when I get there.

Did Kenny give you a cam card or a paper with your info on it? If he did, it would be nice to see the at .200 numbers and the seat to seat timing.

I need to call him. I need the specs on a cam he repaired for me. Or I may stop by when I get there.
I got up late today it's on a piece of paper out in the garage...

you can go 11's in a street car with .500 lift and around 238@050 pretty easy. Just need the rest of the combo working.

JPar - great info, thx for sharing reality and "been there, done that, do something different next time!" Honestly I'm thinking about something almost in between the 2 - maybe something like 250/256 or thereabout. And 318willrun, you hit it spot on as my intent is to run something in the mid 11's or faster. I used to run a 440 with the old 292/509 purple shaft cam (which is a hydraulic but is a 248/248 cam) so I know what that idles like in that bigger motor and I liked the idle (sounds good) and ran strong. That was in a totally street B-body that weighed about 4300#'s and ran mid-12's. And it would run the same number if you shifted it at 6800 or 6200 (which I did). So on this 408, that will have better flowing heads and more stroke, and at least 1000#'s less weight, I would sure think 11's are reality!
Really enjoy all the input you guys provide - advancing all of our beloved old Mopars!

-
Back