Cam plug with O-Ring

-
Point taken, the plug probably never see pressure that high. But at 70 PSI, its 3 sq inch surface would see over 220PSI. The cam hole ensures it won't, but you're kidding yourself if you think hardly any oil leaks past the cam bearing...plenty does.

Point taken, the plug probably never see pressure that high. But at 70 PSI, its 3 sq inch surface would see over 220PSI. The cam hole ensures it won't, but you're kidding yourself if you think hardly any oil leaks past the cam bearing...plenty does.

That's not how oil pressure works......I'm not arguing against the concept. I've already said I thought it was a neat idea. I just don't think it's "necessary". It's kinda like a billet air cleaner.

There is no “pressure” between the back of the cam and the cam plug.
That’s what the hole in the cam is for........to insure there is no pressure there.

For sure there is oil oozing out under pressure between the cam and the bearing, and “spraying” on the cam plug....... but there is no pressure being trapped in that space.

Cam plug R3.jpg
So here's the finished product. Is it necessary? No. But then....the average engine has all sorts of parts that aren't necessary so we can't go by that. Is it better than the stock setup? I'd say yes, in every way unless there's something I can't think of. I like parts that are 'assembled' and secured by fasteners better than deformation or pressing.

As long as there is 1/8" clearance between the flywheel and engine, there won't be an interference issue.

Back on the "o-rings get old" issue, every big block and 426 Hemi from 1958+ had two o-rings in the oil pump and I don't hear any complaints over that.

View attachment 1715567505 So here's the finished product. Is it necessary? No. But then....the average engine has all sorts of parts that aren't necessary so we can't go by that. Is it better than the stock setup? I'd say yes, in every way unless there's something I can't think of. I like parts that are 'assembled' and secured by fasteners better than deformation or pressing.

As long as there is 1/8" clearance between the flywheel and engine, there won't be an interference issue.

Back on the "o-rings get old" issue, every big block and 426 Hemi from 1958+ had two o-rings in the oil pump and I don't hear any complaints over that.

I like it. Amazing what you can make with a lathe and a mill. Very cool.

Drilling fixture to hold drill bit straight and in position...then tap 10-24
R3 cam jig.jpg
R3 cam tap.jpg

View attachment 1715567505 So here's the finished product. Is it necessary? No. But then....the average engine has all sorts of parts that aren't necessary so we can't go by that. Is it better than the stock setup? I'd say yes, in every way unless there's something I can't think of. I like parts that are 'assembled' and secured by fasteners better than deformation or pressing.

Yeah you got a point about the big block o-rings. I've said like three times now I like it. Chrome valve covers are unnecessary, but a lot of people have them. I put a chrome timing cover on my 400. It's not necessary, but it's the only bling this engine's gonna have. lol

Well, you got something done today. Me...not so much. Maybe tomorrow.

Very nice.
There is always tomorrow, as I say. lol well maybe not tomorrow, as I'm preparing for the 100+ heat here in the LC valley for the next week or so. I'm melting.

There is always tomorrow, as I say. lol well maybe not tomorrow, as I'm preparing for the 100+ heat here in the LC valley for the next week or so. I'm melting.

Yep. Gonna be hotter than a popcorn fart here tomorrow. By 0900 I have to be mowing the lawn. By 1100 I need to be getting the intake manifold off this car in my driveway so I can be done by no later than 1230. Then take a break until 1800-1900 to start going back together.

-
Back