Cam suggestions

-

konrad

Reaction score
i know I'm probably beating a dead horse by asking this question, but I want a cam that can be used with stock everything on a 340 swinger motor. I don't want anything crazy, just a little bump in performance. Will Comp cams xe268 work? If not does anyone know the correct specifications on a stock 340 swinger cam and where I can find it? Sorry for the redundancy, I got tired of finding many answers but not the ones I want. Thanks

Is it the forged crank high compression engine or the cast crank low compression version???

OK, are we going to use the stock torque converter?
What is your gear ratio?
What is your tire size?
The XE268H should be OK with the stock converter.

OK, are we going to use the stock torque converter?
What is your gear ratio?
What is your tire size?
The XE268H should be OK with the stock converter.
It is the stock torque converter, gear ratio not sure (I think it's 3.23), tire size 205/70R14. Thanks for the feedback

The XE268 is good. The Crane Z-286-2 is another good one. Just make sure you match the valve springs to whatever you choose.

If the 3.23s are staying, it is IMO, almost a waste of time putting in a different cam, to achieve your goal.
For street;You would be better off with more torque multiplication. Like rear gears or an A999 with a 2.74 low gear.Or a little higher stall.
Your current starter gear with a 727 is 2.45x3.23= 7.91 If you swapped in 3.55s and an A999 your new starter gear would be 2.74x3.55=9.73, which is about 23% more torque-multiplication. 23%! This is sorta like putting on a turbo,( in first gear only). This will also bring your engines torque peak down 23% in the MPH range. Currently, if your engine torque peaks at the factory spec of 3600rpm, this is about 37 mph. With the new set-up, it would torque-peak still at 3600, but now at 30mph, PERFECT for stomping the pedal for a kickdown into first gear,in traffic, and rocketing past Grandma!
First gear will be good to about 51 mph at 6500, second to 91mph and Direct to 140,if you dare.
If you couple this with a TC swap to nothing-too-fancy of 2800,(from factory of about 2200/2400) you will be able to blast off the line as well.
Your hiway revs will climb 9.9% from around 2600 to 2870, at 65mph. And it will suck more gas on the hiway. Perhaps 5% more. Some of this you might get back with tuning.
I would start with the TC. Then probably the A999. And finally the gears.
Now your combo is ready for a cam.
I would go with a solid, on account of it would keep your cylinder pressure up, to protect the low-speed performance, by virtue of the fact that a solid could maintain the ICA to close to factory. For instance, the factory cam is a 268/276/114 cam in at 112, making the ICA = 66*. You can get a Comp mechanical,as an example, that is 274/280/110 in at 106 that would come in at 63* ICA, and so, actually increase cylinder pressure just a tad.This would be a step up. Also as an example, Comp also makes this mechanical; 282/290/110 in at 106. Your ICA with this one is just 1* more than the current cam. This cam would be 2 sizes up.Both cams want headers, to take advantage of the overlap cycle. Both cams may require work to the heads to accept the extra lift.Both cams are fairly tight lash designs, but still make a noticeable racket.Neither of these cams will play nice with your current starter gear , nor the current TC.
Mechanical lifter retro-fits are not cheap; requiring new springs,adjustable rockers and new pushrods, at the same time, plus in some cases headwork to accept the extra lift they offer. I offer these only as examples of what a mechanical lifter cam can do for you.
Decisions,decisions.
I say TC first.
400 to 600 rpm will be a boost in off-the-line performance,whereas a cam may loose it here. And a TC will give a quicker march thru first gear.

Call Oregon Cams,they have a direct copy of the 1968 340 cam.Someone sent one in,they copied the specs....

I'd like to thank AJ for a long winded answer that didn't answer his question but rather threw in more confusing information to help confuse and derail the OE posters plans via adding doubt and more routes to run that were never asked.

Way to go AJ!

I'd like to thank AJ for a long winded answer that didn't answer his question but rather threw in more confusing information to help confuse and derail the OE posters plans via adding doubt and more routes to run that were never asked.

Way to go AJ!

That's what he does best!

What will work best with a "stock everything" 340?

The stock 340 camshaft.

I said that already/lol.

I wasn't gonna grow older readin it. I never read your damned books anymore. When all you do is try to show people how smart you are anymore, it turns me off like a switch.

"CLICK"

I wasn't gonna grow older readin it. I never read your damned books anymore. When all you do is try to show people how smart you are anymore, it turns me off like a switch."CLICK"
Rusty
Just cuz my posts are long, doesn't mean I'm trying to"show people how smart I am", and I'm sorry you feel that way.
My wife is like that too, and it is somewhat frustrating for me as well.But neither one of us is sorry we married the other.
I am very comfortable in who I am, and definitely not out to prove anything to anyone, especially not to people I will never meet.
I have been wrenching for 48 years so maybe I know a goodly amount about wrenching. But this is a tiny world of information. I know almost nothing about anything else.On many things I am ignorant,on some I am stupid, and on others I don't give a hoot. And I have a lot of opinions. That's what happens when you do the same thing over and over for 48 years,namely, form opinions.
Listen, I know you have a vast amount of knowledge too. And a goodly amount of opinions,as well. I have never seen you give bad advice. That doesn't mean I compare your advice to what mine might have been, on the off chance that one of us could be wrong;not at all.I have learned many things here on FABO, and more than a bit of that learning I have absorbed from you. I consider us as being on the same page.
Hey, everyone knows I'm wordy, and everyone knows you are a bit gruff. I don't ignore your posts cuz of that. I know that I can often learn something from your posts so I read every single one I come across; just as I read every post from everyone else that offers regular helps and advices.Not only am I here to help, I am also here to learn. That's what makes this forum fun for me, and also informative,and also addictive. Every time I log in I just know I'm gonna learn something.
You know I like you Rusty,and I have read in your posts that you might like me,too.You don't have to be nice to me,I get that, But I wouldn't mind at all if you were.

Very good post AJ.
Your contributions may be wordy as you put it, but never to show how smart you are.
No doubt you are smart, but you are not showing off. Looking forward to your next one,
and to your canadian humour. :)

I said that already/lol.
Yea right! Perhaps somewhere in that novel you write? Perhaps. I've been pullin your coat tales on this. There is no reason to get so involved in a long winded answer every single time.
Just nut shell it. Answer the question straight away!
The endless math in the wordy answer isn't needed.
I've been getting likes on my posts directed to you on long winded posts! Take a hint?
I wasn't gonna grow older readin it. I never read your damned books anymore. When all you do is try to show people how smart you are anymore, it turns me off like a switch.

"CLICK"

Oh good Lord you ain't kidding!

Very good post AJ.
Your contributions may be wordy as you put it, but never to show how smart you are.
No doubt you are smart, but you are not showing off. Looking forward to your next one,
and to your canadian humour. :)
His info is good. Not allways needed, but it is good. I just can't read long posts no matter who there by. Eyes can't take the strain. It is even worse when there are no paragraphs to break it up.

Had a stock 360 with a voodoo 256/262. Bought the Xe 268, and no my 3.23's and stock converter did not work at all. Crane has a couple 272 cams that may work well, or as noted call Oregon. Even Bob Karakasian has a copy of the 68 stick cam.

Last edited:
Thx fellas, I'll try harder as to brevity. And yes Rumble I have noticed you receiving likes when railing me. Have you noticed the likes I receive from OPs who take the time to read my stuff?
You can skip over my posts,cuz in all likelyhood you already know this stuff;I get that. And I do enjoy your kind-hearted ribbing. But I like to cover as many bases as I can, so that the OP can hopefully get the answer in one post, instead of several pages of short little QnAs that can take many hours or days to complete.
Complicated questions require complicated answers. One-liners can be interpreted as; terse,gruff,or don't bother me with your trivial problems. I take the time, cuz I care, and I have the time to share. Everybody is so busy trying to sell their time, cuz it's the only thing in life most of us are born with a good amount of.
Mine is running out.

-
Back