Camshaft Break in With Dual Valve Springs

-

360tripleblack7

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finishing a rebuild on my 360 engine, but I made some upgrades like Edelbrock Cylinder Heads, Icon Forjed pistons and a new Camp Cams Solid Flat Tappet Camshaft.

My concern is about the break in process... I did check the valve springs install height and pressure and everything works fine.

I'm using a dual valve springs like you can see below:

Product Line: PAC Racing Dual Valve Springs
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 1.550 in.
Coil Bind Height (in): 1.140 in.
Damper Spring Included: Yes
Spring Rate (lbs/in): 363 lbs./in.
Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 1.150 in.
Inside Diameter of Inner Spring (in): 0.790 in.
Installed Height (in): 1.880 in.
Seat Pressure at Installed Height (lbs): 160 lbs.
Open Height (in): 1.250 in.
Open Pressure (lbs): 389 lbs.
Notes: Up to .650 in. lift @ 1.880 installed height.

My question is: Can I do the break in process with dual valve springs mounted or should I remove inner springs during break in process?

I'll use a SJ oil + ZDDP + Comp Cams Camshaft lube

Thanks...

IMHO. use Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 Heavy Duty Conventional Motor Oil (1 Gallon) diesel. and add a bottle of ZDDplus. [email protected]. i bought a case last fall. i use one bottle ea change in my 01 dakota V6. for 8 years. the oil i listed is factory fill for Dodge deisels.

will u prime the oil pump just before fire up? will it fire right up quickly? will u rev it over 2500 and vary rpm during 20+ minutes of break in? I broke in my comp flat solid cam with .555 lift and preheated Lucas 10-30 classic oil years ago with no problems, primed + fired up quickly, with dual springs with 135 seat and 340 open. with your springs-better safe than sorry says remove inner spring

X2
Be patient, be cautious.....it's good insurance to remove the inner springs. It's a lot less work than removing the engine for a rebuild.

I gave mine the gusto and broke it in with both springs, no problems, make sure you have the right seals installed and spring retainer.

if u have a roller cam and roller lifters-no need to remove inner springs, and no need for oil with zinc

Another "middle of the road" break-in...:banghead:.
I've been on the "no pull" side enough that one day it will bite me in the a$$. :D

The seat pressure is a little steep, but it's really the over the nose pressure I'd be concerned about, so i'm on the fence on this one.....What grind (#) are you actually running?

Do we really have to do this? Again?

oh boy! This one again! so this is my experienc. recent experience.when I was in the same predicament not long ago. I called Ken at Oregon cam grinding ( owner ) he said 350 open was the borderline and that's what I had. Against advice of Ken ,(i didn't- thank you oldmanrick !) I'm thinking he was covering his but just like any other cam manufacturers will. but also admitting he had never personally lost a cam do to dual Springs? it sounds like you are over the borderline according to Ken so I would recommend taking them out especially if you have the time and ability. either way I would give you my highest recommendation to use a top grade break-in oil like I did (Penn grade 30 weight break-in). fully prime the oil pump while a friend slowly cranks the motor over a few times with a socket on the flywheel.visually see oil coming out of both sides of the rockers. crank motor as little as possible to get it started. i.e. get it started with as little cranking as possible! 2000 - 3000rpm's for 20 minutes . as you read the storys and hear the comments about people losing cams most of them you'll hear in the conversation about something they did wrong in the break in procedure. like the wrong kind of oil or cranking it too much or firing it up for not a long enough. Or all of the above or showing off for a friend and firing it off a couple times without proper precautions and then on the other end of the scale you'll read where someone lost a retainer from Low spring pressure during break in and BAM catastrophic failure !

my new motor 360 371 now with 525 lift with 1.6rockers all comp cams my engine builder told me no fire it up we let it run and he adjusted carb and timing and said go drive around town don't idle over 1 minute and don't take it over 4 g and drive for 1/2 hour and pull It back in . Ok your the builder mike , the thing runs awesome now and ive buzzed the chit out of it a few nice hole shots im ready for new tires soon as I get the back end up for bigger tires changed the oil , every thing looks and runs gr8 has about 10 hours on it and ready to take it out tommoro for a sun run finally 68 tommoro there calling for . he was the builder builds a lot of mopar engines and race motors , he backs his work and all was gr8 . but then again ive heard all the horror stories too .we used to build our race snowmobiles rite in the trailer and fire it up 2 minutes and go race , same as they do at the drag strip I guess if its built rite mike says drive it for brake in , but its no 10 second car either but it ROCKS GL TO YOU
CALL Mike at Performance Research 1 608 837 4280 ask about shabangs 360 build in the 65 barracuda gl letttr buck

my new motor 360 371 now with 525 lift with 1.6rockers all comp cams my engine builder told me no fire it up we let it run and he adjusted carb and timing and said go drive around town don't idle over 1 minute and don't take it over 4 g and drive for 1/2 hour and pull It back in . Ok your the builder mike , the thing runs awesome now and ive buzzed the chit out of it a few nice hole shots im ready for new tires soon as I get the back end up for bigger tires changed the oil , every thing looks and runs gr8 has about 10 hours on it and ready to take it out tommoro for a sun run finally 68 tommoro there calling for . he was the builder builds a lot of mopar engines and race motors , he backs his work and all was gr8 . but then again ive heard all the horror stories too .we used to build our race snowmobiles rite in the trailer and fire it up 2 minutes and go race , same as they do at the drag strip I guess if its built rite mike says drive it for brake in , but its no 10 second car either but it ROCKS GL TO YOU
CALL Mike at Performance Research 1 608 837 4280 ask about shabangs 360 build in the 65 barracuda gl letttr buck
that's odd, my builder said the same thing about driving it around for a little while after I broke it in before I change the oil? like you said - he's the builder I did what he told me and everything's great.

160 pounds on the seat is enough for "me" to remove the inner spring. Much less whatever the open pressure is. 120 or so, not so much.

If it's dual springs - I pull the inners. Regardless of spring pressure. I'd rather be safe than lazy.

Thanks for everyone

Yes, I'll do exactly as MarcoHotRod wrote. At least that's my plan.

But, like Myron told us... Is much better remove inner springs that rebuild a complete engine...

Thank you guys!

Thank you J Par...

I know that remove inner springs before break in and put back again is not a so hard job...

So... I'll remove the inner springs during the break in process!

oh boy! This one again! so this is my experienc. recent experience.when I was in the same predicament not long ago. I called Ken at Oregon cam grinding ( owner ) he said 350 open was the borderline and that's what I had. Against advice of Ken ,(i didn't- thank you oldmanrick !) I'm thinking he was covering his but just like any other cam manufacturers will. but also admitting he had never personally lost a cam do to dual Springs? it sounds like you are over the borderline according to Ken so I would recommend taking them out especially if you have the time and ability. either way I would give you my highest recommendation to use a top grade break-in oil like I did (Penn grade 30 weight break-in). fully prime the oil pump while a friend slowly cranks the motor over a few times with a socket on the flywheel.visually see oil coming out of both sides of the rockers. crank motor as little as possible to get it started. i.e. get it started with as little cranking as possible! 2000 - 3000rpm's for 20 minutes . as you read the storys and hear the comments about people losing cams most of them you'll hear in thea conversation about something they did wrong in the break in procedure. like the wrong kind of oil or cranking it too much or firing it up for not a long enough. Or all of the above or showing off for a friend and firing it off a couple times without proper precautions and then on the other end of the scale you'll read where someone lost a retainer from Low spring pressure during break in and BAM catastrophic failure !

while you have those inner springs out just please resist the temptation to give it a little rap - rap on the throttle till you get the springs back in. at the point of having the inner strings out you will have a lot less spring pressure than is recommended for that cam likely. so no funny stuff till you get them back in.

-
Back