can an A-body tow?

-
I'm I retested to hear what hagerty has to say. I highly doubt it would be covers by a classic car insurance co.

You can't go by your trailers insurance. If that were the case, and because it doesn't say the cut off limit for the towing vehicle, does that mean you can tow with a Vespa?

doubt all you want I have coverage even on non installed parts and tools. I'm not going to argue a simple fact anymore. I stated my opinion and posted wdot laws you posted nothing but arguments. I am not here to argue. I bid you good day sir.

Last time I commented to a girl about towing her Subaru behind a 66 Cuda from California to North Carolina I got the nastiest message I ever received here on FABO!! So, I'm out on this one!!!

I'd do it with the wagon though!!!

i actually heard about that but i didnt know it was over towing ......first off you guys would get a nasty message from bcoz your my FABO family and i like you guys too much to do that. :toothy9:

and second ...that girl had 25 posts ....(obviously dont know how we roll here) and it sounds like she was looking for a fight after she didnt hear what she wanted to hear.

kinda funny that it seems girls ask this question LOL

thanks everyone for your input ....im thinking now that if i am going to do this often and for long distance, then it would be cheaper and easier on the long run to just take one of the farm trucks ....there is no doubt there.

however i may still put a hitch on the dart ...i have a lawn mower trailer and a small covered trailer that are small enough that i know the car can handle.

good points here and interesting discussion thanks fabo :thumbup:

Just because you can does not mean you should. You will be stopping two vehicles with the brakes of one on a dolly.Towing is hard on the guts of the trans. Just had the trans gone thru on the Explorer, first thing Martin told me was NO TOWING. Might cost a bit more for the fuel in the truck but what is your life worth?

That is not to say i have not towed with a dolly. Short distance, lower speeds, avoided traffic and as many hills as I could.

My diesel has 4 wheel discs that work very well. A while back I had to tow a tractor on a trailer with no brakes. Guessing the combined weight was about 4000 pounds. Made my truck an absolute pita to stop. Your life, your equipment do as you chose. Glad I do not live near you....

Just because you can does not mean you should. You will be stopping two vehicles with the brakes of one on a dolly.Towing is hard on the guts of the trans. Just had the trans gone thru on the Explorer, first thing Martin told me was NO TOWING. Might cost a bit more for the fuel in the truck but what is your life worth?

That is not to say i have not towed with a dolly. Short distance, lower speeds, avoided traffic and as many hills as I could.

My diesel has 4 wheel discs that work very well. A while back I had to tow a tractor on a trailer with no brakes. Guessing the combined weight was about 4000 pounds. Made my truck an absolute pita to stop. Your life, your equipment do as you chose. Glad I do not live near you....

i know what you mean i have had to hit the trailer brakes before even with a farm truck bcoz you can just feel the trailer pushing you.

the other thing i didnt mention that i started thinking of is most ppl tow with autos ....be it a 904 or 727 and autos have the torque convertor which helps ......well as many of you know me already ....everything i have is manual ........i didnt even even think about clutch killer....

hmmm the farm truck is looking better and better

doubt all you want I have coverage even on non installed parts and tools. I'm not going to argue a simple fact anymore. I stated my opinion and posted wdot laws you posted nothing but arguments. I am not here to argue. I bid you good day sir.

Sorry, I'm not arguing. I don't know why people think its a fight when two people disagree and are debating. My proof is in people's car insurance. You posted trailer insurance, and thanks for that. But it's the car that is doing the towing, insurance that matters.

Hagerty has some crazy coverage. But I still doubt it will cover a vehicle to tow a car and trailer that isn't supposed to do that. Insurance still has guidelines and perimeters. There isn't an Insurance out there that you can just do whatever you want! Keep that in mind. And my posts are for everyone, not directed just to you.

i know what you mean i have had to hit the trailer brakes before even with a farm truck bcoz you can just feel the trailer pushing you.

the other thing i didnt mention that i started thinking of is most ppl tow with autos ....be it a 904 or 727 and autos have the torque convertor which helps ......well as many of you know me already ....everything i have is manual ........i didnt even even think about clutch killer....

hmmm the farm truck is looking better and better

Towing with a clutch.....just have to get the clutch out as quickly as possible. I towed a 10,000 pound load behind a Ranger that I had, truck had a 4.0 and a 5 speed. Think I 2x over what the truck should have towed. Rental place was 8 miles from where I lived, all flat. Took the route with the least lights as the trailer had no brakes. Was an interesting trip to say the least....

I am spoiled now....I use a load equalizer on the car trailer. I haul 8000 pounds of pellets on it a couple of times a year, other than the weight when climbing the short but steep hills between point a & b I do not even know the trailer is there.

Sorry, I'm not arguing. I don't know why people think its a fight when two people disagree and are debating. My proof is in people's car insurance. You posted trailer insurance, and thanks for that. But it's the car that is doing the towing, insurance that matters.

Hagerty has some crazy coverage. But I still doubt it will cover a vehicle to tow a car and trailer that isn't supposed to do that. Insurance still has guidelines and perimeters. There isn't an I durance out there that you can just do whatever you want! Keep that in mind. And my posts are for everyone, not directed just to you.

Asked Hagerty about insuring an old truck. They told me that as long as I never loaded anything in the bed or towed with it they would insure it. I can only imagine what would happen if they insured an old truck that was in an accident with a trailer hooked to it.

One more thing in defence to NOT tow with an a body...

All that small print and what not that you sign and supposed to read when doing your insurance...

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your vehicle is approved by the manufacture to perform the duties you are insuring it for. It is not the insurances responsibility to know each and every vehicles specs and capacities.

So I am sure many people can provide me with info from an insurance co that allows you you to tow. But if an accident happens, the insurance co will verify that your vehicle was in fact built to perform these duties. When they find out it shouldn't, you Arnt covered and I lnsurance is void.

That's how insurance works

I would say why not as long as you have front disc brakes.

The dart / duster are heavy pigs and my duster will have a bigger engine that my last RAM (318). The Y'hall trailers come with surge brakes so with the car weight, you tail will not get pushed around. good tires are a must and you may wnt to pump up the rear tires a tad.

I must say renting a truck from Enterprise and not telling them that you are going to tow is downright dangerous. if you ever had an accident, you would have absolutely no insurance and possible charges. If other were involved, well, let's say it wouldn't be pretty.

I should also say that my 25 foot ultralight tongue weight is only 350 pounds. That is like 2 heavy guys sitting in the back seat. If you go with the 2 wheeled dolly vs the 4 wheeled trailer, there is almost no weight on the tongue.

Do what you feel comfortable with...

Asked Hagerty about insuring an old truck. They told me that as long as I never loaded anything in the bed or towed with it they would insure it. I can only imagine what would happen if they insured an old truck that was in an accident with a trailer hooked to it.

Good point!

One more thing in defence to NOT tow with an a body...

All that small print and what not that you sign and supposed to read when doing your insurance...

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure your vehicle is approved by the manufacture to perform the duties you are insuring it for. It is not the insurances responsibility to know each and every vehicles specs and capacities.

So I am sure many people can provide me with info from an insurance co that allows you you to tow. But if an accident happens, the insurance co will verify that your vehicle was in fact built to perform these duties. When they find out it shouldn't, you Arnt covered and I lnsurance is void.

That's how insurance works

I"m guessing you've been an ICBC customer your whole life ? the rest of the world isn't governed by a corrupt government agency pretending to provide insurance , the free market system works in real well this instance my State Farm policy when I was living in Michigan included unlimited AAA roadside emergency assistance , I spent 8 months having my old Caddy jump started every 3rd day or so for free before we finally found the short that was slowly draining the battery . ICBC screws everybody every way they can on claims because they can and I totally understand your doubts but companies that have to compete on service provide much better policy coverage .

I would say why not as long as you have front disc brakes.

The dart / duster are heavy pigs and my duster will have a bigger engine that my last RAM (318). The Y'hall trailers come with surge brakes so with the car weight, you tail will not get pushed around. good tires are a must and you may wnt to pump up the rear tires a tad.

I must say renting a truck from Enterprise and not telling them that you are going to tow is downright dangerous. if you ever had an accident, you would have absolutely no insurance and possible charges. If other were involved, well, let's say it wouldn't be pretty.

I should also say that my 25 foot ultralight tongue weight is only 350 pounds. That is like 2 heavy guys sitting in the back seat. If you go with the 2 wheeled dolly vs the 4 wheeled trailer, there is almost no weight on the tongue.

Do what you feel comfortable with...

Last I tried to rent a trailer from UHaul first question they asked was what are you towing and what are you towing it with.

Thanks for the polite response I do appreciate it. I will say the valiant had all around disks and a dealer installed hitch with electric tow control and my trailer had its own breaks and the emergency break chord.This was also my last resort if I had a truck I'd use it way before the car. The car was mainly used for the ski's.

thanks everyone for your input ....im thinking now that if i am going to do this often and for long distance, then it would be cheaper and easier on the long run to just take one of the farm trucks ....there is no doubt there.

however i may still put a hitch on the dart ...i have a lawn mower trailer and a small covered trailer that are small enough that i know the car can handle.

good points here and interesting discussion thanks fabo :thumbup:

Get some good brakes and secondary lights like the magnetic ones tow trucks use then take your time in the slow lane, you will be fine at 45 mph , Just don't let anybody push you on your speed the whole tail wagging the dog thing is the real problem and speed is your enemy when towing .

If you have a Diesel pick at your disposal, it's a no brainer!

My Diesel Ford gets 17-18MPG towing a loaded open trailer,, complete diamond plate decked (heavy) at 60 mph. I doubt an old A body is gonna do that and as safely. Even using a dolly, use the truck would be my 2 cents.

Diesel is 4/gallon, gasoline is ~4/gallon... isn't any substantial difference is cost per gallon.

Light stuff isn't a big, deal, when you start towing items equal in weight to your tow vehicle, you need to be on your toes.

Thanks for the polite response I do appreciate it. I will say the valiant had all around disks and a dealer installed hitch with electric tow control and my trailer had its own breaks and the emergency break chord.This was also my last resort if I had a truck I'd use it way before the car. The car was mainly used for the ski's.

Towing a regular 21f boat or jet ski... No problem. The problem lies with a car dolly or trailer

I"m guessing you've been an ICBC customer your whole life ? the rest of the world isn't governed by a corrupt government agency pretending to provide insurance , the free market system works in real well this instance my State Farm policy when I was living in Michigan included unlimited AAA roadside emergency assistance , I spent 8 months having my old Caddy jump started every 3rd day or so for free before we finally found the short that was slowly draining the battery . ICBC screws everybody every way they can on claims because they can and I totally understand your doubts but companies that have to compete on service provide much better policy coverage .

ICBC= Insurance crooks of BC.

My dad once mailed them a cheque made out to that and the deposited it. Lol

Your right, ICBC sucks and I don't have as much options as south of the boarder. However, an insurance co that offers unlimited jump starts, tows and wipes your *** is defiantly going to look into a way out from providing coverage for an accident that is your fault. Especially if significant damage was done and , heaven forbid, death!

I didn't know All this about towing before. Someone had to tell me and the thought of losing my house, assets and family out weighs the thought to tow incorrectly.

Someone on e said to me...
Insurance, the one thing you need, but hope you never have to use!

Phil

Clearly you missed the point , in a competitive market place companies compete on customer service , in my case State Farm was the most expensive around but offered the best customer service so I paid a little more then used said service , competitive customer service means maintaining that service after the sale , screwing the customer who has a legit claim costs future sales when the customer has the option of shopping elsewhere , A happy customer may tell nobody about your business but an unhappy customer will tell everyone who will listen how you screwed them . I agree you need to read the fine print and purchase appropriate insurance for the planned use of your vehicle, Just because ICBC won't cover you here in BC doesn't mean she can't get coverage in her market . I am not allowed to drive my Barracuda to work ever on my collector plates , I am however allowed to drive it anywhere in the world as long as it isn't for work or school and I do .

Silver wheels is very restrictive as well. If you read their fine print, no work,no normal" driving just to/from car shows, repair shops and "testing" your car after you have worked on it. But it is cheap.

Well, the did offer an optional towing package, so one would assume that you could tow with one.

But, I doubt they are rated for much.

Well, the did offer an optional towing package, so one would assume that you could tow with one.

But, I doubt they are rated for much.

Here is a fact, my father in law was thinking of buying a 2010 caravan earlier this year. I told him I don't know if its Meant to tow his boat with that. He has a 21f boat, nothing big.

He said, " oh it's fine, they have a trailer hitch I can add on"

My response was " that doesn't make it legal, they sell hitches for anything, call the dealer ( that was selli g the van ) and ask"

So he called....

Dealer said it was not legal due to its manufactured rating!!!

In short, you can put a hitch on anything... You can get insurance for anything... If your actual insurance doesn't jive with the vehicles it is insured for, and something happens ( accident) your hooped.

I see families towing boats all the time with a mini van. Doesn't make it right, same thing with a car towing a car.

Anything can tow within payload if done properly. The coronet would definitly tow car on a tow dolly much better than the dart. Much safer too

-
Back