Can someone please help me ID this Carter carb # c5l3 9636s.

-

FASTEDDIE1960

Reaction score
trying to ID this carb and find out what it originally came on, it was on my 1967 Barracuda when i bought it but not sure if original 273 commando 4bbl or not..
thanks

It's not even in the book. (Galen white book) A 67 273 4 barrel would be a 4294, 4295,4304 or 4305 depending on whether it is manual or automatic trans or CAP or not. Your number sequence is miles off.

Last edited:
It's not even in the book. (Galen white book) A 67 273 4 barrel would be a 4294, 4295,4304 or 4305 depending on whether it is manual or automatic trans or CAP or not. Your number sequence is miles off.
thanks much mine is a 4 speed so do you know which number should be on it? again many thanks

I thought ALL 9000 series carbs were aftermarket, even the ones sold way back in the era when the cars were new?? So someone likely bought it from an autoparts store and tossed the original on his car??
thanks much

thanks much mine is a 4 speed so do you know which number should be on it? again many thanks
4294s is for the 4 speed non CAP. Cap was Clean Air Package which is basically California emissions. If your air cleaner has a rubber hose attached to a valve cover breather it has CAP.

It's not in any book because it's an aftermarket Carter Competition carburetor. That's among the older numbers Carter was making before Edelbrock bought them out.

Last edited:
t
4294s is for the 4 speed non CAP. Cap was Clean Air Package which is basically California emissions. If your air cleaner has a rubber hose attached to a valve cover breather it has CAP.
Thanks again mine is the CAP as it was originally a Calif car. thanks much

What RRR said in post # 11.
It is a 625 cfm carb & should work well on your engine.
The original carb would obviously work well also if you can find one, but if the engine has been modified, the 9636 would be easy to tune using the Edel tuning kit.

What RRR said in post # 11.
It is a 625 cfm carb & should work well on your engine.
The original carb would obviously work well also if you can find one, but if the engine has been modified, the 9636 would be easy to tune using the Edel tuning kit.
Thanks very much

-
Back