can you guys decode this and tell me if its a good deal?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

here are some pics of a used 4 speed nearby me...its supposed to be an abody tranny, and im assuming non overdrive? the guy says it needs rebuilding (obvious by the pictures) but im not sure if everything is there, and im not sure the numbers on the case mean either...he's asking 250...if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think i would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Matthew

DVC01676.jpg

DVC01677.jpg

DVC01678.jpg

DVC01679.jpg

DVC01680.jpg

DVC01681.jpg

looks to ba an a-body one. i picked up one for $150 and it wasn't apart. seems kinda high for that to me.

looks to ba an a-body one. i picked up one for $150 and it wasn't apart. seems kinda high for that to me.

he says he got it with a bunch of other parts and hes not sure if anything is missing...he believes it came out of a 68 BB dart...and yes i agree 250 is a little high in price...i would definatly offer him less, but i dont want to go there and waste my time if it looks to be not worth anything...money talks in person! LOL

another thing, would the decoding be able to tell me what ratios it has inside? im looking for as big a first gear as possible

thanks guys!

I don't see an input shaft in those pictures and I can't tell if all the bushings and bearings are there, but a rebuild kit with all those (but not the input shaft) should be under $150.

If you can count the teeth on the gears (I can't find my glasses) you can figure out the ratios. I believe a 3.09 first gear was only available in the early A-bodies with the ball and trunion driveshaft, but I could be wrong. You can get the 3.09 first with the OD transmission, but the gear spread is pretty wide.

Go to www.[B]passon[/B]performance.com/ or call and speak to Jamie. He can tell you what the numbers mean.

FWIW, $250 is a decent price around here for a complete transmission, but bargins are out there.

I don't see an input shaft in those pictures and I can't tell if all the bushings and bearings are there, but a rebuild kit with all those (but not the input shaft) should be under $150.

If you can count the teeth on the gears (I can't find my glasses) you can figure out the ratios. I believe a 3.09 first gear was only available in the early A-bodies with the ball and trunion driveshaft, but I could be wrong. You can get the 3.09 first with the OD transmission, but the gear spread is pretty wide.

Go to www.passonperformance.com/ or call and speak to Jamie. He can tell you what the numbers mean.

FWIW, $250 is a decent price around here for a complete transmission, but bargins are out there.
Seems a little steep to me.I paid 200.00 for one complete 300 to rebuild Not to far away from you ( keep Looking)

It's been a while since I had one apart but it looks like more than just the input shaft is missing. I would say even $100 would be high without knowing exactly what is missing and what you need to rebuild it.

I've found complete ones for $100 - $200 I just bought one at Monster Mopar for $40 missing a throw out fork.

I would look at it as a pile of parts that you "may" be able to build and price it accordingly.

From looking at the pics I don't think it's an OD trans. To be sure, check the diameter of the front bearing retainer. OD trans should be 5 1/8" but there is a 4.8" bearing retainer that fits the larger OD trans case opening. Also, check that the front bearing retainer matches the size of the hole on the front of the trans case.

Not sure what you mean by a big first gear. If you mean a high numerical gear to make up for a low numerical rear end gear then I don't think this is what you want. I have too much time on my hands so I blew up the pics & counted gear teeth. Best I could find out is something like this.

1st 2.66 or 2.47
2nd 1.91 or 1.77
3rd 1.39 or 1.34
4th 1 to 1

This would be referred to as a "close ratio" transmission.

I think the price is way too high. A couple of years ago I bought a rebuilt A body 4 speed with similar ratios on eBay for $350. I have a book that says the 3.09 first was used from 64 to 66. If this is correct, the 66 transmissions would have a regular slip yoke on the rear because it's my understanding that the ball & trunion ended with the 65 models. fzmax is right about the OD trans having a 3.09 first gear. The gear ratios for the OD trans are as follows;

1st 3.09
2nd 1.67
3rd 1 to 1
4th 0.73

I wonder if the OD ratios might be good for a stroker because the torque provided by the long stroke could help overcome the wide ratio spread, but there's the issue of the OD trans durability being questionable in high HP situations. I read a magazine feature on a Superbird that was running an OD trans so I suppose a lot depends on how you use (or abuse) it.

Seems a little steep to me.I paid 200.00 for one complete 300 to rebuild Not to far away from you ( keep Looking)

where abouts did you find yours? was it a guy who has more than one, or you were just browsing private sales and found it? the same guy also has a complete abody 4 speed that works for 500 bucks, which i find is wayyyy too steep

also, if you guys say the input shaft is missing, i dont even think the thing is worth more than 150 bucks! lol...i will adjust my view of it accordingly...how do the gears and such look to you guys? and do those numbers in the photos mean anything for you decoders? thanks alot for the help with this guys...i think this guy is on crack slightly, but im going to try to work my magic of being a stinge on him

Too much at $250 IMHO. I'd wouldn't even offer the guy anything and say thank you for your time. If he asks what you think it's worth... blown apart, don't know what's there complete???, rebuild kit is whatever $$$, $100 max.

The case is from a 68 hammy, MI built car. Probably a Dart, unless the tailshaft housing and shaft have been changed.

Too much at $250 IMHO. I'd wouldn't even offer the guy anything and say thank you for your time. If he asks what you think it's worth... blown apart, don't know what's there complete???, rebuild kit is whatever $$$, $100 max.

The case is from a 68 hammy, MI built car. Probably a Dart, unless the tailshaft housing and shaft have been changed.

i know man, 250 is crazy considering i just saw one running go for 250 on another forum...im kinda thinking of going there with 250 cash, looking at it and saying wow man ill give you 100 bucks and then he'll probably think im crazy...then i can explain to him everything thats missing, and proceed to tell him he's crazy for trying to sell the running one for 500 bucks when they are going for 200 bucks everywhere else...if i can coax him enough and flap the cash in his face, he just might do it, but if not all i can say is i tried

well i was just on the brewers website and a replacement input shaft for an abody 23 spline ranges from 99-150 dollars...they dont list an input shaft to convert abody 4 speeds to 18 spline, but they have b/e body 18 spline replacements that are like 500 dollars! yikes!

well i just called the guy and man was he pissed when i told him what it needed and theres no way he'd get 250 for it...he said lowest he go is 200 and to "go buy the other guys trannys" lol...i just hung up the phone on him...another mopar guy who thinks his **** is worth 3 times more than its actual value

Just doing a quick look I can tell you it's an A body, non-overdrive tranny. It's hard to tell, but looks like it's got the skinny rear output bearing, making it a small shaft (6 cyl) tranny, as opposed to the larger 340 tranny.

If you e-mail me the number on the bearing, if it's the output, that will tell me if it's a 6 cyl or not, plus count the teeth on the cluster, and first, second, and third, I can tell you what the ratio is and what input it should have.

[email protected]

Russ.

Good luck getting a good one for $200.

Although some people do find them for less, $500 is reasonable for a known to be good 4 Speed.

Good luck getting a good one for $200.

Although some people do find them for less, $500 is reasonable for a known to be good 4 Speed.

well, for a tranny thats in peices and missing parts, id say 250 is a rip...good deals are out there, just gotta be patient

well, for a tranny thats in peices and missing parts, id say 250 is a rip...good deals are out there, just gotta be patient

That's a winning statement.

Look around and be patient. I've bought them recently anywhere from 50-300 depending on what they were.

That's a winning statement.

Look around and be patient. I've bought them recently anywhere from 50-300 depending on what they were.

thanks...i hope if i wait long enough ill come across something worth my time and money

-
Back